Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

21 minutes ago, lippy said:

If Wolf27 works for Hornby can we have a prototpe HST next please

Or a Virgin livery APT  'neverwas'  limited edition?

Or a Revolution trains Pendilino in retro APT livery

Edited by jonhall
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

Dammit, I've been found out. Where do I send your prize? Hi Mick, hope you are well.

I only accept Friday night beer tokens.

I'll send you my bank details - I hope you have  Nigerian bank account.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

open to suggestions but Network Rail is currently favourite. Everyone loves a yellow train. However I dont, it sucks.

Hell yeah! - paint it yellow and put Network Rail stickers on

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

That is a different light bar to the one illustrated by @adb968008  On that one there seems to be no bridge rectifier but there is a zener diode. 

Roy

Indeed it looks like its had an upgrade.

perhaps you could remove the capacitor from the board, put it in the toilet cubicle, and wire it back to the board ?

• Like 1

For anybody interested here is a comparison of the 2 Hornby lighting boards that were mentioned in previous posts

207607041_hornbylightingboards.png.1121a12edb9ffa336411894cbdc4e50c.png

If D5 is a Zenner Like ZD1 then the voltage across the capacitor  shouldn't rise above its rated  value

The solder pads marked CO1 & CO2 could be for capacitors (high value SMD types)which could help reduce flicker.

John

PS 

One of my favourite expressions when I disagree with some one is "you are entitled to your opination no matter how wrong it is" :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, John ks said:

One of my favourite expressions when I disagree with some one is "you are entitled to your opination no matter how wrong it is" :D

or "I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong"

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

On 19/10/2021 at 08:17, DavidBird said:

Just by going on the colours apparents in these photos, there is a difference in the wheelsets in each shared bogie.  One appears to be much shinier than the other.  I'm assuming the shiny one is the pickup for the lighting,

Can anybody comment on what the difference acutally is, and what causes the difference in appearance?

Well, embarassing admission time.  I think - I'll confirm when I receive mine next week - that I'm looking at white-painted pipework...

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, woodenhead said:

And no-one can insist that @Erixtar1992 has to share the same opinion as others - it's one opinion, others may disagree, but it's still an opinion.

From what I have seen and I am not in the market for one, there are capacitors visible in the carriages, makes it look like a last minute change rather than something planned as people would not expect it on a premium model.  Then there is the light bleed that some people are seeing, and Hornby have recent history here with the DVT, it shouldn't happen, wouldn't have been an issue if lighting had not been fitted but fitted as an afterthought rather than in the original design.

isn't light bleed fix-able using a few layers of black paint on the inside?

20 hours ago, gazwire said:

Received mine and I'm really impressed, aside from the capacitor position. They look fantastic - excellent finish, colours and shape and the glazing/windows really excellent. The only other thing is the pantograph which I'm scared to raise. The body work though is truly excellent.

The alternate (“high speed” ) pantograph should be available a spare ( i think the one fitted was the original testing panto as in the pictures Linked above) , but as yet Hornby have no stocks. When they do i was thinking i might want to get a spare, just in case….

12 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

He has history for not liking people having an opinion. He had a good rant about adults liking McDonald’s once when it was pointed out you can ask not to have sauce etc.

Roy

Oh can you ask not to have sauce then?

9 hours ago, E100 said:

To me the obvious place would be to remove one of the toilet screw mounts and leave it with just 3. With the clips I'd assume it'd be ok. I'm honestly not sure I can be bothered. It looks good from the outside with the exception of the pantograph that I would happily paint myself.

The open corridor ends creates a nice simple opportunity to wire the train throughout if desired.

1) looking at the photo of the RL panto it appears to be an aluminium base with a painted steel panto fitted to it, so i guess painting the plastic part will be fairly close? I can’t really see how Hornby could have better modelled the panto other than a better colour finish on the top part? All “white metal “would be equally as wrong?

2) i dont know much about capacitors, but does anyone know if i wanted to make a marginal improvement to the look is there heat generated or would it be ok to put a thin card “mask” between the windows and the cap, either in black or colour coded to reduce how obvious it is?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

isn't light bleed fix-able using a few layers of black paint on the inside?

But light bleed shouldn't need to be fixed. 

23 minutes ago, Bigeddie said:

How about tape on the inside to cove the gap but only fixed to the half with the lugs, like a short flap?

Everybody likes a flap - there's loads of it on this thread....

• Like 3
  • Funny 6