Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

11 hours ago, zoomer1979 said:

Only thing I would say is, it's still a bit dark towards the coach ends. Otherwise it would of been a bespoke light strip and more expense and possibly delay. Where did you put it? Or did you ditch it?

Neil.

If anything, the saloon lights are way too bright so I would look to reduce the brightness somewhat. Less is more.

• Agree 3

14 hours ago, kevpeo said:

Indeed, I've just had a look at our four packs, all ok it seems.

In worse news, the Hornby website is now saying winter 2022 for the seven car set!  Plus our Hornby rep has assured us that one of the power cars is a dummy, so we may have a wait to see if one can shift 14 cars.

Kev.

When i saw that a couple of weeks back I rang them to ask, I was told the 7 car set is currently expected Jan 22. Which i guess someone thinks is winter 22, although winter 21/22 would be clearer. Still fingers crossed.

now i need to get all my coaches our and see of they are ok, fingers crossed again…..

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

If anything, the saloon lights are way too bright so I would look to reduce the brightness somewhat. Less is more.

Spot on. When I find some time to do some modelling rather than working and taxiing all round the country for university open days I will get into mine, and make a new longer, much dimmer light car.

Roy 

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, zoomer1979 said:

Only thing I would say is, it's still a bit dark towards the coach ends. Otherwise it would of been a bespoke light strip and more expense and possibly delay. Where did you put it? Or did you ditch it?

Neil.

It could possibly be modified with a Perspex “light tube” over the existing LEDs with an angled end on the light tube to give a bit of light in the end areas.

• Like 1

Received my remaining coach packs (TFs and TSs) this morning. Set them up on a table just to check the couplings were straight and everything sat nicely and they're fine.

If it wasn't for the capacitors, I think these are really great models and, judging by @Wolf27's pictures above, it looks like they can be rectified (not that we should have to be doing that though....)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, InterCity80s said:

...judging by @Wolf27's pictures above, it looks like they can be rectified (not that we should have to be doing that though....)

What the picture also shows, sadly, is slight paintwork damage probably caused separating body and chassis as it looks to be where the clips are.

Roy

20 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

What the picture also shows, sadly, is slight paintwork damage probably caused separating body and chassis as it looks to be where the clips are.

Roy

Yes, some very minor damage has occurred but I’m not to fussed as this will have a light weathering when I have all the vehicles and will generally be tearing around my garden layout. It was the first vehicle I took apart and now not what not to do.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

Yes, some very minor damage has occurred but I’m not to fussed as this will have a light weathering when I have all the vehicles and will generally be tearing around my garden layout. It was the first vehicle I took apart and now not what not to do.

It is just a shame that the design makes such damage likely. 

May I ask what you plan to do differently on future coaches?

Roy

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

Moving capacitors and weathering. I'm afraid you've massively reduced the resale value.........

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

Probably less damage than that inflicted to a Hattons 66 when trying to fit a decoder

Edited by newbryford

56 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Moving capacitors and weathering. I'm afraid you've massively reduced the resale value.........

Oh. I must remember that when taking the rest of the vehicles out of the box, or will that devalue those as well. Mind you its worthless plastic rubbish anyway

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

Probably use thin plasticard shims to slide along the join. Or a hammer and bolster

• Thanks 2

Anyone else got missing detail on the TRBS box set. See pics showing the silver chrome slider detail for the coach doors missing on Sc 48401 & Sc 48402.

Both sides of each coach have the silver detail missing which makes me think it "might be" a batch problem ( i hope not).

Apart from this detailing & the capacitor problem, my coaches look great. Just waiting on the 7 car set to arrive now.

Not going to return mine as might try doing the detail with a fine tipped silver marker.

If it goes wrong..... then hay ho! it's my own fault.

To be honest, i probably wouldn't have noticed it if i hadn't been looking for faults.

594843447_boxendnumbers.jpg.21fad13c911b26175918bf3c647360b4.jpg

Box set details.

1260949276_Coachwithmissingdetail.jpg.af7d5b1246db8d3ce25f466f299f8bf1.jpg

Coach with missing detail.

1807989742_Othercoachwithmissingdetail.jpg.c99c518ab825a822445f9b70b392a5f8.jpg

Other coach with missing detail.

756246918_Numbersofthecoachesaffected.20211025_135532.jpg.b61dc69a7bb1edd9653ca4016817cfdd.jpg

Faulty coach numbers.

1648094225_CoachwithcorrectsilverdetailSc48302.jpg.204d336f7b434d051ec44ae3b0f2d59a.jpg

Correct detailing on Sc 48302

Edited by Timsouth47
Picture information & orientation incorrect.

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Timsouth47 said:

Anyone else got missing detail on the TRBS box set. See pics showing the silver chrome slider detail for the coach doors missing on Sc 48401 & Sc 48402.

Both sides of each coach have the silver detail missing which makes me think it "might be" a batch problem ( i hope not).

Apart from this detailing & the capacitor problem, my coaches look great. Just waiting on the 7 car set to arrive now.

Not going to return mine as might try doing the detail with a fine tipped silver marker.

If it goes wrong..... then hay ho! it's my own fault.

To be honest, i probably wouldn't have noticed it if i hadn't been looking for faults.

Mine are the same :( - will mask them up and use a lining pen as well probably.

Roy

4 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Have you followed the instructions to unclip it?

Roy

Yes, easy enough to unclip and the bottom half raises no problem, just can't get the top section to stay up. I can lift the top section up then it just flops back down!

Here is the quick and easy fix for the capacitor, downside is the capacitor is still visible on the ends, but you can't really see it when you have the coaches coupled together. Since I have to pull two full sets apart, I think I'm going to use the time between now and December when the sets are supposed to come in to detail the interiors better and 3D print some guides to route the wiring under the floor of the coach.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

I would love to see somebody make a set of transfers available to put the tartan pattern on the seats. 

That'd be a LOT of tartan! :o

I might have a go at trying it though, but not mass producing them! 

• Like 2