Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

A job for Steve Bell/Railtec?

He can include some 'Mind your head' and 'Mind the enormous gap as we go round the bends' warning signs.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

I came home with my power car today and have devalued it by taking it out of the box. It also come with a couple of spare couplings, which will be useful.

51631068663_275dd351e8_z.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

I then further devalued it by taking apart.

51631529061_2cb99e6d5b_z.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

51632178964_a497227eb3_z.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Not content with the amount of devaluing I had already done, I ruined the pantograph by cutting some bits off it to make it raise higher. That bit needs a bit more work.

51631754488_26c73d5fac_z.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Sorry no white on white

Edited by Wolf27
added info
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4

42 minutes ago, 43179 said:

Hi Shane ,  did you have to do some cutting/grinding/filing or did it already metal shavings around the bogie pivots - hope that's not from something binding?

Jon 

I think that’s just the grease that’s sprayed out when tested at the factory. I’ve not powered this up yet.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Wolf27 said:

I think that’s just the grease that’s sprayed out when tested at the factory. I’ve not powered this up yet.

I hope you put 25kv through it to give it a proper work out otherwise you’re just faking us all. 

Honestly what are reviews coming to these days

Edited by Revolution Mike
  • Funny 5

14 minutes ago, Revolution Mike said:

I hope you put 25kv through it to give it a proper work out otherwise you’re just faking us all. 

Honestly what are reviews coming to these 12kv days

I may start at 240v and work up to 25kv, with a dash of 415v for good measure. Should get it to hyperspeed in no time.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Wolf27 said:

I then further devalued it by taking apart.

51631529061_2cb99e6d5b_z.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Helpful photos, thanks. I don’t see a lot of room in there for a speaker which is a pity. I assume the body sits close to the motor when on?

As I plan to swap the body of my powered NDM with the dummy when I get the 7 car set, I am leaving taking it apart until

then, but would like to get in what I need for DCC sound beforehand. 

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone,

Apologies if ive missed this in my reread of the topic, but does anyone know if there is a kit available for a proper working metal APT pantograph.

Ive a 7 car on order and I want my pantograph to work with the overhead wiring. Thats work as in touch the wires not provide power :-)

For such a premium model I dont know why Hornby keeps opting for plastic pantograph's eg 87, although crude the original one from the model 30 or 40 years ago was at least metal.

Thank you to anyone that can give me hope of a fix for this.

Garry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

Garry, not sure if Judith Edge kits do one, I know they do some pantographs but maybe not this type.

Thank you for the suggestion, however I cant see anything specific for an APT from JE.

Maybe ill just have to get an off the shelf one thats as near as darn it :-)

Thank you

6 minutes ago, Garry D100 said:

For such a premium model I dont know why Hornby keeps opting for plastic pantograph's eg 87, although crude the original one from the model 30 or 40 years ago was at least metal.

Thank you to anyone that can give me hope of a fix for this.

Garry

They have done plenty of different ones, all with 'issues':

The original "Faiveley" which sprung both up & down looked nothing like the real thing.

The first BW one was very overscale & would tear down all but the most overscale OLE (Hornby's c1990 OLE was very overscale).

You could weaken the spring but if modification was necessary, the model would not be RTR. & Hornby needs to be RTR.

They later produced 2 plastic ones. One with a spring which was very flimsy & did not raise/lower evenly & a permanently 'down' one.

Now they have produced one which does raise & lower manually, looks like a BW pan but as you've mentioned, it cannot keep contact with the wire.

Hornby seem to be a little blinkered with regards to what their competition is doing, so just because Bachmann's 90 has a servo-operated pan, a built-in speaker & fully working day/night lights with the ability to turn one end off, it does not mean Hornby will choose to compete in this area.

Many people go into a model shop & just look at Hornby's range. They may not care whether the pan is plastic or metal, but will still buy Hornby instead of Bachmann.

It may not be what you or I do, but we are not their only customers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 25/10/2021 at 19:49, Timsouth47 said:

Anyone else got missing detail on the TRBS box set. See pics showing the silver chrome slider detail for the coach doors missing on Sc 48401 & Sc 48402.

Both sides of each coach have the silver detail missing which makes me think it "might be" a batch problem ( i hope not).

On 25/10/2021 at 20:38, Roy Langridge said:

Mine are the same :( - will mask them up and use a lining pen as well probably.

Roy

Just got mine out to check the lights and they're the same as yours. I hadn't noticed before, and can't see that the silver details missing from more than about 12 inches away (probably my dodgy eyesight :blink: ), so I'll think I'll leave them as is for now.

I checked the TFs and TSs and they've all got the silver detailing.

On a more positive note, I wasn't able to detect any light bleed through the sides of the coaches.

Edited by InterCity80s
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I would love to see somebody make a set of transfers available to put the tartan pattern on the seats. 

Roy

Apparently there is paint available (this might have been posted before, apologies if that is the case): 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7