Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

3 hours ago, letterspider said:

Looks great

how did you couple the NDM to the Mk1 coache?

The NDM comes with a couple of spare couplings. One was fixed to a Hornby bogie with nothing more than a short piece of brass tube fitted into a hole drilled where the nem socket goes and a countersunk head bolt that I had in the box of neverending supplies

51634258009_07f56b0cd4_z.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Edited by Wolf27
additional info
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ac1874 said:

I emailed Hornby about the missing silver paint, not that they can do much. It is one of those you wouldn't necessarily see unless you are looking for it, but they should be aware if they are not already.

I'm minded to do the same. It's not a big issue but appearing systematic of a wider QA problem that few others seem to encounter to the same order of magnitude IMO. They are charging a lot for models and whilst many of the increased costs do gain my understanding the QA expectations do rise with each price increase.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, E100 said:

I'm minded to do the same. It's not a big issue but appearing systematic of a wider QA problem that few others seem to encounter to the same order of magnitude IMO. They are charging a lot for models and whilst many of the increased costs do gain my understanding the QA expectations do rise with each price increase.

My view is that they are expensive, it is a silly mistake Hornby should be made aware and held accountable. It will be interesting to see what the response is, I'd expect them to come up with a way to make it right.....Even if that is sending some silver paint and a brush!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, ac1874 said:

My view is that they are expensive, it is a silly mistake Hornby should be made aware and held accountable. It will be interesting to see what the response is, I'd expect them to come up with a way to make it right.....Even if that is sending some silver paint and a brush!

They will just tell you to return it as standard trading law if you are unhappy with it. If this error is on the entire batch of that coach they aren’t likely to redo it unless a new batch is done. Might be worth checking the alternate ones from the other set but it won’t be the matching numbers. I’m not sure if it’s just the 7-car set extension pack or the 5-car ones too. 
They aren’t under any obligation to paint the strips they just have to offer to accept the return, of the whole set for the error if necessary ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 1

I will be able to check when mine arrives, but can anybody confirm how the pantograph is fixed?  From looking at Shane's photos it appears to clip onto the bogies, so will remain upright when the body tilts, but does this mean it rotates with the bogies, or is it mounted somehow that keeps it in line with the body?

It’s screwed directly to the bogie and will turn with the bogie. Not ideal but a reasonable compromise. It suits Hornbys MO as to make it operate true to form may have been quite a challenge for a mass produced model.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ac1874 said:

I quite agree but I still think they should be aware and gave an opportunity to do something about it.

Yep I agree they should be made aware too, it was only the comment about being “held accountable” that is likely to fall short of expectations ;) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, if my experience with the defective batch of WC/BoB wheelsets is anything to go by Customer Services really have no knowledge of the details of the products they sell and Technical whilst being able to determine there is a fault seem not to be able to deal with the errors. I ended up with a refund and they never sent a courier to pick up the defective parts.

I had to buy a good wheelset from an eBay seller to fix the customer's loco.

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, ac1874 said:

I quite agree but I still think they should be aware and gave an opportunity to do something about it.

Good luck with that.... (I speak from personal experience)

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Agreed, if my experience with the defective batch of WC/BoB wheelsets is anything to go by Customer Services really have no knowledge of the details of the products they sell and Technical whilst being able to determine there is a fault seem not to be able to deal with the errors. I ended up with a refund and they never sent a courier to pick up the defective parts.

I had to buy a good wheelset from an eBay seller to fix the customer's loco.

That does not inspire much confidence in trying to get a defect free 14-car set! I'm guessing they would send you out what replacements they had in the hope that they were defect free until the complainant goes away. Great service.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, zoomer1979 said:

That does not inspire much confidence in trying to get a defect free 14-car set! I'm guessing they would send you out what replacements they had in the hope that they were defect free until the complainant goes away. Great service.

I bought 3 sets at the same time, all defective in the same way (no long centre axle crank pins). The assumption is the whole batch from China was made the same way, no point in sending me any more ;)

• Informative/Useful 1

Ive been enjoying looking at the pictures here of the New APT ( thanks all ) and have some questions (1) How do they compare looks wise to Hornby's Originals,of which i have a Set .(2) Can the current  Power Coach  R3948 couple up to the Original Trailers and (3) i have thought of Transplanting the Motor Gubbings  from said NDM into the Old version,the Coach is mint but the Ringfield Motor is kaput to put it another way,would it be worth the time and expense ? thanks in advance  Paul.

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, 33052 said:

Ive been enjoying looking at the pictures here of the New APT ( thanks all ) and have some questions (1) How do they compare looks wise to Hornby's Originals,of which i have a Set .

see this post 

On 18/10/2021 at 12:50, lyneux said:

First pair of coaches arrived today. They look very nice indeed. I’m not too worried about the capacitors… an easily solvable problem using the ‘m’ word and much easier to correct than a shape problem (if it bothers you).

I couldn’t wait to place them on track so here they are on one of Whatley’s fiddle yard boards. I couldn’t think of a more fitting way to support them than by using vehicles from the original 1980s set. They are just sitting in place on the shared bogies in the photos.

Still a big surprise to me that Hornby released the coaches before the sets. Hopefully not too long to wait now though…

Guy

77EC95E5-C598-4344-AE4C-80356745AC6A.jpeg

7377A79D-9C9B-4D28-987D-2DB0092C2092.jpeg

(2) Can the current  Power Coach  R3948 couple up to the Original Trailers and

If you modify the spare coupling bar like someone did in the last few pages no doubt yes, but the colours are noticeably different. 

(3) i have thought of Transplanting the Motor Gubbings  from said NDM into the Old version,the Coach is mint but the Ringfield Motor is kaput to put it another way,would it be worth the time and expense ? thanks in advance  Paul.

A fairly major job and to be honest if your thinking of buying some coaches and a NDM it’s not a lot more to go to the 5 car pack and and extension set. 

So been intouch with Hornby over the past couple of days about my droopy r3498 pantograph and they agree there is a fault. 

2 options, do an Amazon exchange (it was bought on Amazon,  supplied by Gaugemaster) not to keen on that as they may have already sold out, so probably will go with option 2 of waiting for Hornby to get their supply of spare pans and get a working replacement sent out to for me to repair. Still waiting on a response from Hornby about them definitely getting said spares!!

4 hours ago, 33052 said:

Ive been enjoying looking at the pictures here of the New APT ( thanks all ) and have some questions (1) How do they compare looks wise to Hornby's Originals,of which i have a Set .(2) Can the current  Power Coach  R3948 couple up to the Original Trailers and (3) i have thought of Transplanting the Motor Gubbings  from said NDM into the Old version,the Coach is mint but the Ringfield Motor is kaput to put it another way,would it be worth the time and expense ? thanks in advance  Paul.

Regards the old version ndm, i think there are better ways to replace the motor, people have i believe used eurostar bogies successfully. I have 2 to do, and i intend to use “Hornby X9298 Class 35 5 Pole Drive Motor Unit & Wheels” i have the replacement units and they fit perfectly ( they look like a 5 pole version of the original to me) i do have one challenge, in that the NDM  bogies are screwed to the motor assembly as is the plastic holder for the panto. I need to work out the right size and source a decent drill and tap. I guess others on the forum have done this in the past? Alternatively i could glue the assembly together but that would make maintenance a real challenge.

thus far  one of mine was a tight enough push fit for a test run, which went really well.

• Informative/Useful 1

42 minutes ago, Bigeddie said:

Regards the old version ndm, i think there are better ways to replace the motor, people have i believe used eurostar bogies successfully. I have 2 to do, and i intend to use “Hornby X9298 Class 35 5 Pole Drive Motor Unit & Wheels” i have the replacement units and they fit perfectly ( they look like a 5 pole version of the original to me) i do have one challenge, in that the NDM  bogies are screwed to the motor assembly as is the plastic holder for the panto. I need to work out the right size and source a decent drill and tap. I guess others on the forum have done this in the past? Alternatively i could glue the assembly together but that would make maintenance a real challenge.

thus far  one of mine was a tight enough push fit for a test run, which went really well.

The screws used for securing the cast metal bogie frames to the bogies (and the plastic tilt cams) are self tapping screws in our unit. In theory, one is longer than the other, possibly the shorter one for the motorised bogie?

So, just a hole a tad less diameter than the ST screw?

Its been a while since ours was last overhauled…

Otherwise, it’s likely that an 8 BA tapped hole, with suitable machine screws could be used…

You may also need to drill a suitable hole in the top of the motor casing for the pantograph support bracket fixing screw as well…I think this is tapped 8 BA…

Service Sheet…

6DE98276-31DC-47A5-A6DF-1DB322877F14.jpeg.a221c7f2110996b48ea36438518f5a03.jpeg

0512E734-E53B-47D5-A9B3-E1848009AFD4.jpeg.0f31187fde3bdf95ca40d3275c81f351.jpeg 

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
More added…
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Wolf27 said:

It’s screwed directly to the bogie and will turn with the bogie. Not ideal but a reasonable compromise. It suits Hornbys MO as to make it operate true to form may have been quite a challenge for a mass produced model.

That’s a real shame, would have been so easy to attach it to the motor cradle so that it stayed level with the bogies (non tilting) but in line with the car body. 

Seems there will be various work needed to bring the train up to the spec I want. I don’t mind doing modelling but it’s a bit painful when it costs as much as it does and still needs lots doing. I should say at this point that I write as someone with 21 vehicles of new APT paid for and eagerly awaited. (5 car, 7 car, NDM and 8 coaches)

Ah well, guess the market will soon be full of second hand old version APTs, might have to see if I can get another 5 old sets for another 14 car train of old style models as well ;)

Yes I have as much if not more of an APT obsession as I do with HAAs!

Andi

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 27/10/2021 at 12:56, Wolf27 said:

A temporary test lash up, pending the correct barrier coaches. And the NDM is coupled to the leading lab coach.

51632739021_298985c813_z.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

You might need to lose some yellow off the power cars. I took the first one at Farington Curve Junction, the other 2 from Ladywell House in either 1978 or 1979 I can't remember which.

1990513593_Testtrain.jpg.0f70c340752542b628e3367493ca3f6d.jpg

1448286780_Testtrain2.jpg.8667fb4cdbf8e701342215ae982438f7.jpg

1528980290_Testtrain3.jpg.8de920705f699ffbc8cf13af9eed930c.jpg

Edited by 96701
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, 96701 said:

You might need to lose some yellow off the power cars. I took the first one at Farington Curve Junction, the other 2 from Ladywell House in either 1978 or 1979 I can't remember which.

1403983775_Testtrain.jpg.3dc8153526c9ffb69a3e1e713de5c13c.jpg

299347554_Testtrain2.jpg.d7a84c0c8d1ebb0c3361171935663dfd.jpg

483583080_Testtrain3.jpg.c619543e0518af9d5a8b9319e98efb9f.jpg

It’s no issue, I’ll just use another powercar.

• Like 1