Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

There a lot of the two car add on set in Cheltenham models .

I'm not getting it - they release the ad on sets and the NDM ( is that the blank car with all the electric gubbins in it ) before all the sets themselves ?

most I could do is a five car - is that realistic or where they really all 7 or 14?

19 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

There a lot of the two car add on set in Cheltenham models .

I'm not getting it - they release the ad on sets and the NDM ( is that the blank car with all the electric gubbins in it ) before all the sets themselves ?

most I could do is a five car - is that realistic or where they really all 7 or 14?

Lots of different combos in real life during testing, for 5 car up to 14 car AFAIK. And yes, the extra coaches arrived first. Possibly wasn't Hornby's intention, but I guess the train packs have been slightly waylaid for whatever reason.

• Thanks 1

Looks pretty cool !

I watched the documentary the other day with Simon and the designer comparing paint shades and trying to get the beige right , that included a bloke mixing it by eye and a visit to Crewe to compare it against a real one ….

I was kinda thinking it might be a bit more…….” Scientific “….or was it dumbed down for TV I wonder ?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Looks pretty cool !

I watched the documentary the other day with Simon and the designer comparing paint shades and trying to get the beige right , that included a bloke mixing it by eye and a visit to Crewe to compare it against a real one ….

I was kinda thinking it might be a bit more…….” Scientific “….or was it dumbed down for TV I wonder ?

Probably about right…….Fleischmann probably use a spectrophotometer rather than a bloke in a paint stained overall :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Daft question. In the engine shed video the coach lights are off yet mine are on the moment the wheels touch the track - can they be turned off ? i can't see a switch but that doesn't mean its not staring me in the face (usually the case). Thanks

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Norski said:

Daft question. In the engine shed video the coach lights are off yet mine are on the moment the wheels touch the track - can they be turned off ? i can't see a switch but that doesn't mean its not staring me in the face (usually the case). Thanks

Are you on DCC? 

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Norski said:

Yes i am. 

That’s probably the reason, the set on the program may well be a DC set so no coach lights when it’s not moving. 

As supplied there is no option to turn the coach lights off, I have all my intermediate coaches now so I will look at rewiring options over the weekend. My plan is through wiring for lights and pick ups throughout the sets. 

Andi

• RMweb Premium

Ok i understand now - thanks for taking time to explain. Im not savvy enough to do that kind of wiring myself. Not the end of the world - light bleed in total darkness is noticeable but i don't run trains in total darkness anyway. Waited for 40 years for this train after missing out on the original as a 10 year old. 

The last few months of that 40 year is killing me :lol:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 04/11/2021 at 12:58, boxbrownie said:

Having looked again at the original sitting in its box I am definitely going to use it with the new NDM (thanks to Tips from Ouroborus)……I really do find modelling more interesting than just buying and running, so it’ll be fun (I say that now!).

Only problem is…..cannot find Pacer couplings for love or money :unsure:

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Only problem is…..cannot find Pacer couplings for love or money :unsure:

Hang fire there.  Just have a look at the couplings already on your existing apt - i think you might find they do the job just fine.  Iirc, the trailers and ndm are different lengths.  I could be wrong, but given its so easy to swap a coupling, worth a go

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Hang fire there.  Just have a look at the couplings already on your existing apt - i think you might find they do the job just fine.  Iirc, the trailers and ndm are different lengths.  I could be wrong, but given its so easy to swap a coupling, worth a go

Will do, I did wonder as the electrical connection from the pacer couplings is not needed, presently fitting crew and sound to a Heljan 128……:good:

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Will do, I did wonder as the electrical connection from the pacer couplings is not needed, presently fitting crew and sound to a Heljan 128……:good:

Ah, OK, give me an hour or so and I'll see what I've got in the line of original NDM couplings..... 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Probably about right…….Fleischmann probably use a spectrophotometer rather than a bloke in a paint stained overall :D

I am pretty amazed that Hornby don't to be honest! Its not an expensive process as far as I am aware, at my work we have had to use one a few times.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I am pretty amazed that Hornby don't to be honest! Its not an expensive process as far as I am aware, at my work we have had to use one a few times.

Point is that the real colour would look wrong on an OO scale model

• Agree 5

4 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Really? How does a colour "scale"? Finish maybe, which can affect how the surface reflects light but the colour itself surely cannot scale. I also believe that putting a spectrophotometer on the prototype would be a very good start.

Let's be honest here. I don't think the skeg of the eye system works very well for Hornby anyway so maybe they should be a bit more scientific? GBRF 50s, Belmond Pullman brown 67s and IC HSTs spring to mind. I'd be interested in knowing how other companies do it as Hornby seem to be the ones with the worst track record for colours in recent years.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Really? How does a colour "scale"? Finish maybe, which can affect how the surface reflects light but the colour itself surely cannot scale. I also believe that putting a spectrophotometer on the prototype would be a very good start.

Let's be honest here. I don't think the skeg of the eye system works very well for Hornby anyway so maybe they should be a bit more scientific? GBRF 50s, Belmond Pullman brown 67s and IC HSTs spring to mind. I'd be interested in knowing how other companies do it as Hornby seem to be the ones with the worst track record for colours in recent years.

Dont’t forget Hornby’s recent RTC blue - absolutely horrendous and not even close. 

But it is not just Hornby, Dapol and Bachmann have made fundamental colour errors. 

Roy

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

The biggest problem is the colour of the lighting it’s viewed under, very few models are viewed in open daylight and almost no full size trains are viewed under room lighting.

My whole career was often plagued by comments like “it looks the wrong colour” when showing clients pictures, then when showing them at a window the same image they suddenly say “oh that’s more like it”…..despite asking beforehand where it will be displayed/viewed the most they still pick holes!   Just like being in here really :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1