Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RyanN91 said:

The iconic tilt on articulated bogies, I feel awful as I am really trying to see if I can see it am I missing it? 

Watch the end of the coach next to the power car at 5:41 in the video and you’ll see it tilt. I’ve added a line that shows the difference where the body has raised on the outside on the stills below. Don’t look at the reflection as the curve of the roof means it’s not obvious from that as it’s just rotated. The gap body to bogie is also smaller. I can see it on the leading driving cab but it’s not so obvious with the camera work. 

;) 

FD6145A5-1152-4912-9C72-586C7A12B388.jpeg.75350ff52917d7d773878a5de5397a04.jpeg

There’s some angle expected as this isn’t head on but it’s far more pronounced that just that angle. 

88C3555C-8463-4174-B380-F8B58C1ED907.jpeg.c1657fc6743e5386e443451ba845880b.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Watch the end of the coach next to the power car at 5:41 in the video and you’ll see it tilt. I’ve added a line that shows the difference where the body has raised on the outside on the stills below. Don’t look at the reflection as the curve of the roof means it’s not obvious from that as it’s just rotated. The gap body to bogie is also smaller. I can see it on the leading driving cab but it’s not so obvious with the camera work. 

;) 

FD6145A5-1152-4912-9C72-586C7A12B388.jpeg.75350ff52917d7d773878a5de5397a04.jpeg

Thanks for this Paul much appreciated! Ah yes I can see it now thanks once again!  Apologies I must have missed your original post!  Unintentionally ! :D

• RMweb Gold

It’s quite sudden on tight setrack but should be nice and smooth if you have transition curves like the real thing. You do have to look for it though on the video so I think they’ve got it just about right. 

Edited by PaulRhB

3 hours ago, Dagworth said:

It looks to me as if the first two vehicles have coach lights. Not sure if I’ve seen that mentioned previously? Can anyone confirm?

Andi

Looks like the first two vehicles have their interiors moulded in red plastic whilst the remaining vehicles have it moulded in blue plastic. To me those red interiors look like or give the impression that the first two vehicles have interior lighting.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Dagworth said:

It looks to me as if the first two vehicles have coach lights. Not sure if I’ve seen that mentioned previously? Can anyone confirm?

Andi

It certainly looks that way, as when first viewing the coaches when they are parked you can't see in because the windows are tinted.

4 hours ago, sandwich station said:

It certainly looks that way, as when first viewing the coaches when they are parked you can't see in because the windows are tinted.

It looks similar to the Pullmans where on DC the lights only come on when power is supplied. On DCC the lights will probably be switchable on/off. 

The sooner we get a sample with at least some attempted livery application the better. It may put the concerns with the gap and overall tolerances to bed and make it a non-issue?

The gaps still are a major issue for me at least on the body and I remain disappointed with what has been shown. Please Hornby let's see some livery samples.

Edited by cs233

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, cs233 said:

The gaps still are a major issue for me at least on the body and I remain disappointed with what has been shown.

There’s a significant step forward visible from the last photos. This is a development prototype to check the running and tilt, they explain that in the video. They have to assess how it runs as a full set next as they said they would need to do this when I asked direct whether I needed two powered units to extend the 7 car set to a full one as the dummy powercar is numbered for that set. 

2 minutes ago, cs233 said:

Please Hornby let's see some livery samples.

Blimey give them chance to check it works, Livery samples are the last stage once the model is technically sorted. 

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, cs233 said:

The sooner we get a sample with at least some attempted livery application the better. It may put the concerns with the gap and overall tolerances to bed

One doesn’t simple ‘attempt’ livery application, it’s a full blown part of the production process, incurring a considerable cost. Until the tooling sample is in a position to receive the livery, it just isn’t viable.

Hornby will show the decoration sample when they’re good and ready to do so, and not before. There are a team of people in Development who are working their socks off to deliver a fantastic model, and that process cannot, and will not, be rushed...

• Like 6
  • Agree 6

On 29/11/2020 at 01:40, Erixtar1992 said:

Looks to be coming on okay. Shame its so delayed and still using prehistoric DCC options but hey ho im looking forward to it.

We are currently updating our ESU Project to V5 Standards for this model, it will have Door Lights Enabled and Cab light with Autofade but I have a feeling that this model will be standard Hornby with little thoughts given to the DCC Features that 'Could' be achieved sadly.  I hope I am wrong.

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, cs233 said:

The sooner we get a sample with at least some attempted livery application the better. It may put the concerns with the gap and overall tolerances to bed and make it a non-issue?

Sorry, but so far you seem to be the only one constantly moaning about it. Everyone else seems to understand that it is an EP and everyone else seems to know that Hornby have (on more than one occasion) said that they are aware of it and the gaps are being rectified and that's exactly why manufacturers have a 1st and 2nd EP. Hornby have literally given us a detailed explanation about the whole process, but you seem to ignore that.

The 1st EP was warped a bit and the tolerances weren't good enough and Hornby have publicly acknowledged it, painting this sample will not help and you would be the first one and only one to complain about it.

10 hours ago, cs233 said:

The gaps still are a major issue for me at least on the body and I remain disappointed with what has been shown. Please Hornby let's see some livery samples.

Give Hornby a time machine? If it is a major issue for you, I suggest being patient because you're the only one who constantly brings it up.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, cs233 said:

If you took the trouble to see the Hornby update video on the Virtual Warley exhibition this past weekend you would have heard them say that the model’s development is not complete and that the gaps etc. will be removed for the finished model.  

That might, however, have removed an opportunity to express disappointment.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Have watched the running video would have liked to see it navigate some points and maybe one of the inner loops but even so it’s looking very good.

I would have loved to have been in the 2020 range development meeting where it was discussed. I can imagine people looking incredulously at the proposal or suggestion and then rationalising it looking at the Hornby and others ranges to see what other products would complement it and how they have sold (such as the class 87).

I then reckon someone banged their fist on the table and stated ‘if we are doing it we are doing it properly all 14 vehicles’!!

Sorry I know it’s all in my head but I am glad they are doing it properly and am really looking forward to it also glad it seems to be selling well for Hornby with hattons showing sold out on most of the apt coaches.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cs233 said:

I appreciate that Hornby are keeping us updated on their progress. It is nice for us to see that it is coming along & it also allows us to understand the process of bringing a model to market.

It is not intended to be a preview of how the model will look. What looks good in CAD may not look quite right on a real model, so the developers need these engineering samples to make adjustments. It is the models we are seeing which are being assessed for different things in order to refine the finished product.

Hornby do not need to show us these prototypes at all. They could choose to just tell us they are making progress, or they could choose to say nothing then release the model when it is ready.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

If you took the trouble to see the Hornby update video on the Virtual Warley exhibition this past weekend you would have heard them say that the model’s development is not complete and that the gaps etc. will be removed for the finished model. 

Which video was this please?