Hornby APT 2020

PaulRhB

9 hours ago, Henners84 said:

Waiting for this model is just like the real APT... We're left with delay after delay, no one knows when it will make an appearance, since it was announced numerous HST sets have been announced and released, and it is ridiculously expensive. Let's hope that when we do see it, it will be reliable and that it does not make its customers sick! 

We could quote that for almost every RTR model ever produced ;-) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Henners84 said:

Waiting for this model is just like the real APT... We're left with delay after delay, no one knows when it will make an appearance, since it was announced numerous HST sets have been announced and released, and it is ridiculously expensive. Let's hope that when we do see it, it will be reliable and that it does not make its customers sick! 

I cannot remember a time when a brand new model from Hornby using new tooling has ever been released as per their initial release date. This is not unique to the APT.

The same can be said of other manufacturers, which it probably why Bachmann have changed to a "coming in the next 3 months" announcement policy.

The HST tooling is not a good comparison because it is not an all new tooling. It may get slight revisions from time to time, but is otherwise just a re-livery of an existing model, so the sign off & re-engineering process for a test model will be much less complicated.

Models go through many stages from idea to finished product. If something wrong is noticed, this will usually put it back several months. The alternative is to release a model with known errors then keyboard warriors (plenty of us about) will complain on public forums about them.

There is not a huge amount of factory space just ready to go. That would make poor economical sense. The factories have several months lead time. If they didn't, then a sudden drop in orders would cause lots of downtime.

Since the model was announced, we have also been battling an epidemic. Our models are made in China, who refused to publish their figures some time ago. It is reasonable to assume that they have been affected just like everybody else.

Forget about the APT for now. Worrying about it won't get it here any quicker.

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

13 hours ago, Henners84 said:

Well, if the customers spend all night in the bar the night before it arrives, I'm sure at least some of them are going to be sick...

• Funny 2

I’m actually old enough to remember when the original APT came out in 1980.Funnily enough the catalogue itself was delayed that year,appearing in April for whatever reason,and with no social media or anything it just dropped literally out of the blue!The model itself appeared in October that year.

Bachmanns Blue Pullman was announced around April 2010 and was delivered in November 2012 so we are by no means in record breaking territory regarding delays and it’s good to have something to look forward to.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bloodnok said:

Well, if the customers spend all night in the bar the night before it arrives, I'm sure at least some of them are going to be sick...

There were only 13 fare paying customers on that  first southbound  trip, one of them being me.

The ones in the bar getting slewed at BR's expense were the media crowd, who then complained that the tilt made them sick. But not until they realised they WERE tilting a considerable distance down the line. Those of us who paid for our tickets didn't get sick..................

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Mr_Tilt said:

There were only 13 fare paying customers on that  first southbound  trip, one of them being me.

The ones in the bar getting slewed at BR's expense were the media crowd, who then complained that the tilt made them sick. But not until they realised they WERE tilting a considerable distance down the line. Those of us who paid for our tickets didn't get sick..................

Don’t you mean “But not until they realised THEY were tilting a considerable distance down the line”? 

My emphasis would seem to make more sense?

• Funny 1

9 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Don’t you mean “But not until they realised THEY were tilting a considerable distance down the line”? 

My emphasis would seem to make more sense?

I think the emphasis is more that they hadn't realised that the APT was tilting for quite a while

• Agree 3

No, none of us could feel we were tilting, not even me!

At that time of the morning in December it was pitch dark and once out of Glasgow itself it was as if they'd straightened out the entire track. I knew that section pretty well from our tests in the 70s and I couldn't tell we were curving and tilting at all. At that time the P-Train was using a fully compensated tilt system so there should have been zero cant deficiency on the curves, and there was.

Only when we got some distance south, around Abington, did it get light enough to see the horizon going up and down as the train tilted, and then many of the hung-over media decided that tilting trains made you sick................. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Surely what made them sick was the realisation that today's deadline was fast approaching and they had failed to write what they had planned to produce on the train - because the booze was free.  Call me cynical if you like but I worked (not for the media) in Fleet Street for a few years.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

Pete Waterman’s got his set, wonder when the great unwashed will get ours.

Please elaborate- where have you seen this?

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1

Wow the box artwork design! :D 

I don't know the copyright legal reasons for posting a picture of the APT-P 5 car box as it hasn't been officially released yet. So I won't here. Nothing major but what I will say I think they missed a trick on the box artwork the Pendolinos Virgin trains train packs and the recent Avanti Pendolino box on the artwork shows in the bottom right hand corner all have the model displaying the titling mechanism with a description showing as seen here. I think it would have been nice if that was included on the APT-Ps box art work designs. 

Hornby-R3952-Class-390-Pendolino-Train-Pack-Avanti.jpg

• Like 1

Apparently the model that is now running on The Chester Catherdral layout is a fully finished production model. Hopefully there is a container full of them being unloaded somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Have seen the pic of the model on the layout looks really good can’t wait for mine (even though I have no where to run it) but that’s a minor detail.

Its on the Facebook page link provided above.

mark

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Have seen the pic of the model on the layout looks really good can’t wait for mine (even though I have no where to run it) but that’s a minor detail.

Its on the Facebook page link provided above.

mark

i have no place to run mine either

• Agree 1

The prices have gone up on Hornby's website - £434 for 5 car and £533 for 7 car. The 5 car is no longer showing in coming soon but is still showing as pre-order. The 7 car is still showing as August delivery.

There are also a whole load of spare parts also showing....

Guy

Edited by lyneux

20 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

Wow the box artwork design! :D 

I don't know the copyright legal reasons for posting a picture of the APT-P 5 car box as it hasn't been officially released yet. So I won't here. Nothing major but what I will say I think they missed a trick on the box artwork the Pendolinos Virgin trains train packs and the recent Avanti Pendolino box on the artwork shows in the bottom right hand corner all have the model displaying the titling mechanism with a description showing as seen here. I think it would have been nice if that was included on the APT-Ps box art work designs. 

Hornby-R3952-Class-390-Pendolino-Train-Pack-Avanti.jpg

Agreed this looks much better than the artwork for the 5 car pack (see the facebook page above for a pic)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, APT-P said:

Video now online here -

https://fb.watch/77xGwIlp8j/

It looks great but also looks like there are only interior  lights in the driving cars unless it’s the lighting in the cathedral or something?

edit railnuts answered my question on the video lights in all cars as we expected!

Edited by Markwj

8 minutes ago, Markwj said:

It looks great but also looks like there are only interior  lights in the driving cars unless it’s the lighting in the cathedral or something?

Seems like the coaches have interior lighting..... they look like cool white LEDs whilst the driving cars seem to have warm white. Though I am not sure if the seating arrangement and colour of the interior has anything to do with this.

Edited by AY Mod
Copyright images removed
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Seems like the coaches have interior lighting..... they look like cool white LEDs whilst the driving cars seem to have warm white. Though I am not sure if the seating arrangement and colour of the interior has anything to do with this.

Thanks Hayley had the same thought to be honest- looking forward to the magazine reviews and the delivery of my 7 car set! It’s like being 11 all over again!!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1