Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

22 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Where can I get tartan paint?

From the same shop as left handed screwdrivers.

They are the type of screwdriver required to prise off the left hand end of the APT body so as to apply said tartan paint.

• Funny 6

1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

Of course if you did have interior lighting you'd need tartan seat covers too.

Tartan seat covers and tilting.....

No wonder the passengers suffered from motion sickness!

• Funny 4

20 hours ago, dogbox321 said:

Personally, I'm still confused, regarding the formations.

A 7 car set, plus 8 coaches = 15

A 5 Car set, plus 8 coaches + Extra NDM = 14

Will both train packs be black cab windows or one with full yellow? 

Also a few things on spec:

- Whilst it will tilt, will the pantograph remain straight as per prototype

- Will the front be liftable to expose buffers etc?

- Will the pantograph be servo fitted, or as per the Class 87?  Same question springs to mind (pardon the pun) with the Class 91.... 

Regards,

C.

I think the 7 car pack will also include the APT-U testing coach that was used for testing the design doe the Intercity 225

28 minutes ago, 60800 said:

This has been confirmed.

Cheers,

Hi, great info on the actual sets and what will go with what.  Its really clear and concise.

I think the next big thing is what Hornby are doing regarding the specification.  Working pantograph?  Buffer Beam front, whether the two parts will be motored seperately, and possibly 2 DCC chips, whether they will have to do a separate one for all the features, and/or even a TTS variant?

Regards the re-number for the vehicles at the Heritage Centre, I'm sure eventually Hornby will get around to doing all the units if/when sales of the APT justify it.  I imagine it will be successful.  Only query I have is whether many people will go for a full 14 vehicle set, or  whether some stockists will get left with a few intermediate coaches.    Likewise is the R4970, the same as will come in the pack, or will one have different numbering/detail or something?  Notice it shows  as an Sc Number and a 977xxx.

• Agree 1

On 06/01/2020 at 20:13, Padishar Creel said:

A one-off thread hijack

Whilst highly unlikely, I would love to see Hornby produce an N-Gauge version.

Now back to the thread please

es grüßt 

pc

Actually not that outkandish, fits with rhe Arnold choice of the Brighton Belle.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Correct colour shades, especially the "Executive Light Grey", are going to be essential for this model.

Attention to livery details will result in what I'm sure will be an outstanding product.

Edited by cravensdmufan
Amendment.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, dogbox321 said:

Likewise is the R4970, the same as will come in the pack, or will one have different numbering/detail or something?  Notice it shows  as an Sc Number and a 977xxx.

Depending on how well it would sit with my "heritage" set and if I could modify the couplings etc I might be interested in one of these on it's own, especially if discounted ;)

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

So if I want a late service condition unit, formed (I believe...) DTS-TS-TRSB-TU-TF-TBF-NDM-NDM-TBF-DTS, with black window surrounds on the DTSes, what packs would I need to order, and how many spare vehicles am I going to have left over to rehome afterwards?

If I'm decoding what's in each pack correctly, it looks like this ten car train requires me buying fifteen vehicles in total and re-homing five of them afterwards. I do hope I'm wrong about that...

27 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

So if I want a late service condition unit, formed (I believe...) DTS-TS-TRSB-TU-TF-TBF-NDM-NDM-TBF-DTS, with black window surrounds on the DTSes, what packs would I need to order, and how many spare vehicles am I going to have left over to rehome afterwards?

If I'm decoding what's in each pack correctly, it looks like this ten car train requires me buying fifteen vehicles in total and re-homing five of them afterwards. I do hope I'm wrong about that...

You'd have one less to re-home as I'd be looking at shifting my spare TRSB, if you want to keep note of this for the future :)

But yes, it looks like you'd need to shift the APT-U, the spare TS, TF and TU 

Cheers,

• RMweb Gold

I notice on the Hattons YouTube video they have a clip of the 3D printed DTS. Looks like a single moulded articulated bogie unlike the original model, but that may be the limits of the 3D printing rather than final design. (Ironically its the same stage DJM got to)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Captainalbino said:

I notice on the Hattons YouTube video they have a clip of the 3D printed DTS. Looks like a single moulded articulated bogie unlike the original model, but that may be the limits of the 3D printing rather than final design. (Ironically its the same stage DJM got to)

I would think thats probably better, having a bogie in 2 halves that clip together would probably be a weak point for longevity (but having said that I never had problems with the original APT coupling like that)

Just now, scumcat said:

Am I the only one fed up of reading DJM and APT together.

It was all rather traumatic and for some quite expensive, but I guess it is time now for us all to move on.  At least the 3D prints give us all an idea that they will be vastly better models than the originals.  I just hope that they don't try to cut any corners!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, scumcat said:

Am I the only one fed up of reading DJM and APT together.

It’s fair to comment that it’s reached the same stage, and making comparisons between the two is only natural.

Edited by Captainalbino
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

First it was December this year now this video says Q1 next year. So finally 2021 will be an expensive year for me between this, the BEP and all those SECR 4 wheelers...…. Heaven forbid Rails delaying their D class into 2021 as well!

9 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I suppose, if I want a black-window surround APT, I'm either going to have to buy a 7-car set, or hope that Hornby bring out the 5-car in that livery next year?

Or masking tape, airbrush and black paint?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

First it was December this year now this video says Q1 next year. So finally 2021 will be an expensive year for me between this, the BEP and all those SECR 4 wheelers...…. Heaven forbid Rails delaying their D class into 2021 as well!

What is interesting is that the email I’ve just received from Hattons states December 2020. To be honest, it’s probably too early to predict.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Captainalbino said:

What is interesting is that the email I’ve just received from Hattons states December 2020. To be honest, it’s probably too early to predict.

I have never found Hornby dates to be accurate. Q1 usually means around June, Q2, November & Q3/Q4 whenever they can manage the following year.

Whenever I mention this to friends, I get reminded that they are'better than Bachmann', but I don't recall the latter stating a date; they just announce that they are working on it.

Hattons communication with their class 66 has been enlightening. It was due early-mid 2019 but pre-production models identified something which needed correcting, so the models missed their production slot & the next was several months away.

So I guess this means the estimated release date is just an early prediction. Nobody can predict what corrections may need to be made which will hold the model up.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

at the pretty decent prices we have seen I would not build up any hopes of interior lighting being a feature on this model.  certainly nothing listed in the spec but I dont feel its doable at this price point.  Be great if Hornby didas more models come along with interior lighting but with all the gubbins (pick ups, inter coach connections and light bars etc) on a 7 car set I would be thinking the price would be considerably higher.  exterior and cab lights at best I think.

Given the very dark tint of the passenger windows, I'm unsure that most buyers would want to pay the extra. Just interior cab lights would be fine for me...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, JohnR said:

I suppose, if I want a black-window surround APT, I'm either going to have to buy a 7-car set, or hope that Hornby bring out the 5-car in that livery next year?

I'd be very surprised if it is something that is going to see many repeat runs unless they vastly underestimate demand on the initial run or of particular coach pairs