Eastburn - Aire Valley 1950s

Aire Head

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Aire Head said:

So life is moving in the right direction to be able to get started on the project soon!

I have an updated version of the plan as like a clown i managed to delete the previous one by accident :banghead:

However through a few little changes I have somehow managed to make the fiddle yard work the way I originally intended and bring back the edges of the station as well. Things like table edges aren't 100% confirmed yet but I certainly appreciate any thoughts on whats there so far.

2020-08-23 (2).png

It's superb! I would say that you have performed something of a miracle to fit this so neatly into the space but I know that it's really the result of a lot of hard work and fine tuning.

I like the new angle at the bottom, which eases the corner curve and gives the goods yard more room.

Only question is about the turnouts on the access bridge: If the bridge is a lifting flap the proximity to the edge might be a worry unless you have a cunning plan in mind.

Have you thought about the landscape profile? It would be lovely to see some undulations, especially if the landscape could fall away from the track somewhere to avoid the billiard table look.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

It's superb! I would say that you have performed something of a miracle to fit this so neatly into the space but I know that it's really the result of a lot of hard work and fine tuning.

I like the new angle at the bottom, which eases the corner curve and gives the goods yard more room.

Only question is about the turnouts on the access bridge: If the bridge is a lifting flap the proximity to the edge might be a worry unless you have a cunning plan in mind.

Have you thought about the landscape profile? It would be lovely to see some undulations, especially if the landscape could fall away from the track somewhere to avoid the billiard table look.

The turnouts on the lifting section is an area I will play around with a bit however I'm confident I can come up with a solution.

Regarding the landscape I intend for the entire trackbed to on top of an embankment as it would be on this area on real life.

It won't look like the edge of the Yorkshire Dales if it's flat!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

That would be extremely unlikely - the loop would always be used for shunting but that wouldn't prevent you from putting a train in there when no shunting was required.

Visible here at Kildwick and Crosshills which is approx 1.5 miles from the location of my creation.

2028878266_Screenshot_20200313-1737592.png.5a4fec504dba560a4e0ec7df7a430514.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fair enough, that's a prototype for it but I still think it doesn't serve much purpose on your model. They had to use the running line for shunting there - there's nowhere else to shunt the long sidings from - your layout's goods yard can be easily shunted from the loop.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Fair enough, that's a prototype for it but I still think it doesn't serve much purpose on your model. They had to use the running line for shunting there - there's nowhere else to shunt the long sidings from - your layout's goods yard can be easily shunted from the loop.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm going to keep it as is for now as I feel it increases the "play value". Your opinion is certainly very appreciated though!

• 1 month later...

This might not look like much more than a couple of old Kitchen cabinets however!

This is infact the start of construction. 

Long story short I will be building (ably assisted by my brother who is a joiner) a bench upon which the railway will sit.

This will be formed from 5 kitchen cabinets forming the ends and corners which will be fixed together using timber.

received_693617898250173.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Aire Head said:

Could a mod move this thread over?

Might be interesting to see the planning stages for people who may not follow this area?

I think you need to "report it" to Andy and ask him to move it, but...

IMHO, it would be cleaner to start a new topic because people who like to follow builds might not be interested in the design process and it might seem odd to have all that discussion suddenly appear as if it's still "open" in some sense. I would suggest just putting a link to this thread on the first page of your new thread.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I think you need to "report it" to Andy and ask him to move it, but...

IMHO, it would be cleaner to start a new topic because people who like to follow builds might not be interested in the design process and it might seem odd to have all that discussion suddenly appear as if it's still "open" in some sense. I would suggest just putting a link to this thread on the first page of your new thread.

Seems sensible, I can do an abbreviated version for the first post.

Guess I know what I'm doing tonight!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Aire Head said:

This will be formed from 5 kitchen cabinets forming the ends and corners which will be fixed together using timber.

Not sure I approve of this cupboards business.  Aren't you supposed to be able to see the junk that accumulates under layouts?

• Funny 2

• 3 months later...