Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)

7 hours ago, Headstock said:

Good morning Frond,

The A2/2 locomotives were never intended to be part of the standardization program, rather as test beds for future ideas. Something had to be done about the urgent problems with the P2's. Whether the total rebuilding was the correct solution is another debate, they were a convenient test bed.

I agree that the A2/2 locomotives  were not part of the standardisation plan but they did in effect become the prototypes for the A2/3s which presumably were? I also agree that the wisdom of the rebuild is another debate entirely!

However I never intended my comment to be anything deep and meaningful, it is just that I find the fact that in the (mostly) war years between 1941and 1946 Thompson built or rebuilt a total of 26 Pacific type locos using 4 different designs, with numerous detail variations somewhat ironic given his standardisation policy.

Steve

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Frond said:

I agree that the A2/2 locomotives  were not part of the standardisation plan but they did in effect become the prototypes for the A2/3s which presumably were? I also agree that the wisdom of the rebuild is another debate entirely!

However I never intended my comment to be anything deep and meaningful, it is just that I find the fact that in the (mostly) war years between 1941and 1946 Thompson built or rebuilt a total of 26 Pacific type locos using 4 different designs, with numerous detail variations somewhat ironic given his standardisation policy.

Steve

Steve,

I don't think that it is particularly surprising to be honest, virtually all CME's have done similar things at one time or another, and the rebuilds did use standard or repurposed existing components. It is not as if they were totally new locomotives, like the Britannias for example, that required a whole new supply train.

• 1 month later...

certainly do - I've just pre-ordered Steady Aim in BR e/e. not even right for my area (GC extension) but in for period so it'll have to be on a diversion... notwithstanding rule 1 I'm only allowing myself one "wrong" engine in the entire stud* and this is it.

*call it rule 1a...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, spackz said:

Good Evening Chaps,

Any one have any news on if these are due out before Christmas? Listed as December 20 on one site and Winter 2020-21 on another. 

If it's Jan/Feb 21 it might sway my decision to get a 1P for Crimbo.

Thanks

From speaking to Hornby, Cock of the North is likely January, others A2/2 & A2/3 Spring. Hope this helps. 

I'm sure Covid 19 is really impacting supply.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

7 hours ago, davidw said:

From speaking to Hornby, Cock of the North is likely January, others A2/2 & A2/3 Spring. Hope this helps. 

I'm sure Covid 19 is really impacting supply.

Thanks David,

I'm after Thane of Fife so looks like Feb/Mar at earliest, which helps possibly sway me to a 1P as a present.

3 hours ago, davidw said:

Samples now on the Hornby Engine Shed. Looking very impressive.

Hi David

i have just seen them very impressive indeed.

But the smoke deflector on 60523 Sun Castle looks a little bit out of line with the boiler handrail.

Hopefully just a hiccup with the sample.

Regards

David

10 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi David

But the smoke deflector on 60523 Sun Castle looks a little bit out of line with the boiler handrail.

Regards

David

Chimney on 60523 and 60505 I think requires a lip too. Nonetheless as pre production samples, they look very promising.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi David

Regards

David

David,

Just had a look at the photos and see that the front of the running plate forward from the cylinders is twisted up a bit leading to your observation. Hopefully this will be rectified for the production models.

Eric

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 60027Merlin said:

David,

Just had a look at the photos and see that the front of the running plate forward from the cylinders is twisted up a bit leading to your observation. Hopefully this will be rectified for the production models.

Eric

Hi Eric

Tony Wright has discussed the models on his Little Bytham thread, he has spoken to Hornby as the sample A2/2’s have the wrong boilers fitted.

Tony said Hornby pointed out these are samples only, so I think you are right they will be rectified when the production models go on sale.

They samples shown do look very good.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

One doesn't wish to seem to be a whinger, but...

I have just looked at the photos of the A2/3 decorated samples on Hatton's website. The photos aren't completely square on, being nearer to three-quarter views, but the front part of the boiler appears to be sloping downwards towards the smokebox. I'd always thought that the downward slope was only at the rear end, with the front part of both dia.117 and dia.118's being horizontal at the top?

Any thoughts?

John.

2 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

One doesn't wish to seem to be a whinger, but...

I have just looked at the photos of the A2/3 decorated samples on Hatton's website. The photos aren't completely square on, being nearer to three-quarter views, but the front part of the boiler appears to be sloping downwards towards the smokebox. I'd always thought that the downward slope was only at the rear end, with the front part of both dia.117 and dia.118's being horizontal at the top?

Any thoughts?

John.

Hi John

if you see my message above they are only samples to show the liveries 

So hopefully the final models would have ironed out any possible defects and problems.

Regards 

David 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi John

if you see my message above they are only samples to show the liveries 

So hopefully the final models would have ironed out any possible defects and problems.

Regards 

David 

David,

Many thanks for your answer.

I have had a look through some pictures to see if my thoughts on the slope are correct. It is possible the real thing had some slope, I can't be sure, and none of the drawings I have are big enough to decide one way or the other!

I do know that over the years getting the right shape to Doncaster boilers has been a tricky business, with some kits, such as the Crownline A1/1 being questionable to say the least.

John.

• Thanks 1

On 01/12/2020 at 18:32, landscapes said:

Hi

I have just received an Email from Hatton’s advertising the new Hornby A2/3’s for pre- order saying they should be available early 2021

Am I right in assuming they will be now available before the A2/2’s?

Regards

David

Yet Edward Thompson is not available for pre-order on the Hatton’s website, although it does not specifically say that it is sold out to pre-orders.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

BRM Magazine just posted this on their Facebook page. Shows the loco hauling 13 coaches. Looks like it’s gonna be a good puller with plenty of strength. https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/video-hornbys-a2-2-on-test-exclusive-first-look?fbclid=IwAR3p3huhlIeoOK2-JaP0fQCPmjglxKLdhjZrbMGGHVcpF7DEyQONNrmwWX4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, further images here:

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/wor/news//first-look-Hornby-a2-2

With some first thoughts from Tony Wright.

Maybe need to start at this page, as above link doesn’t seem to work?

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk

Noting that this is described as a proving model, the first, close up, side on, picture shows daylight between the front frame and footplate, whilst another similar shot shows a tiny bit of daylight between the cab and the end of the boiler.  Just observations!

It certainly does look as if Hornby have done themselves proud with this model, I wonder if the many detail variations in A2/s and A2/3 locos will be appreciated by many buyers, I hope so.

Hornby did amazingly well with the N15 and other models from now 15 years ago with cab, tender and detail variations,  but if they get the A2s into production with the better wheels, and correct valve gear orientation then this will be a step further.

I wasn't going to buy one of these but the A2/2 with Gresley wedge cab and streamlined dome is irresistible given their complex history.  Almost good looking!  Well, if you ignore the proportion of drivers to the general shape... I might have chosen 60501 'Cock o the North' but in some ways that is just too sad, given its history.

The Hornby advertising blurb for 60505 states that it was a New England engine and thus roamed extensively on the ECML, this will do for me!

I did do a mildly enhance picture of 60505 based on Tony Wright's excellent original but it is not appropriate here.  Roll on Jan-Feb!

Edited by robmcg
correction
  • Like 2

Here is an edited version of the general shop advertisements for the A2/2 60505 'Thane of Fife'...  I presume this is a Hornby photo of an evaluation sample, which Hornby stresses is subject to change.

I have edited it a bit but the general appearance is I think close to what we will get early next year.

60505_A2_R3831_2a_r1820.jpg.f3f6e7a3f9f438cdc9dae93d3c096b16.jpg

edit; ah, the new 60505 has lipped chimney and late crest as correct for 1959, the year it was withdrawn. Part of my pic is like 60501 Cock o the North early crest, they have different smokebox handrail number plates too.    Cheers. 

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Here is an edited version of the general shop advertisements for the A2/2 60505 'Thane of Fife'...  I presume this is a Hornby photo of an evaluation sample, which Hornby stresses is subject to change.

I have edited it a bit but the general appearance is I think close to what we will get early next year.

60505_A2_R3831_2a_r1820.jpg.f3f6e7a3f9f438cdc9dae93d3c096b16.jpg

Late crest on Hornby s 60505

• Agree 1