Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi

Out of curiosity does anyone know if the new Hornby Thompson Pacific’s both A2/2’s & A2/3’s come with brass etched nameplates or the usual plastic monstrosities.

Regards

David

They don’t come with any extra nameplates do they? Haven’t seen it reported anywhere they are anything but the usual printed ones. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi

Out of curiosity does anyone know if the new Hornby Thompson Pacific’s both A2/2’s & A2/3’s come with brass etched nameplates or the usual plastic monstrosities.

Regards

David

I've just found a picture of TOF with Red backed name plates.

Edited by davidw

UPDATE !!!!

This morning, just before midday, I was advised there's no sign, yet, but will be advised when CotN - my order in this section - arrives.

I've just received an email saying my card has been debited 'x' amount as agreed - in stock and shipping!!

WOW!!

Might even arrive tomorrow!

Perhaps not - card not debited yet - but still shows arrival is imminent!

Al.

Edited by atom3624

2 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Agreed. And the cab is leaning at a more extreme angle than in the mock-up models. 

The 'inside-out' combination lever / union link on the RHS of that particular example of TOF looks none too clever - hopefully just an isolated case. 

• Agree 1

For those who are curious here is Hattons pic of 60501 

I enlarged it, lightened it, sharpened it a tad and added a small border, nothing else.

60501_A2_R3830_1a_r1820.jpg.f781e34c4ea8c1be1759d34b2322adbc.jpg

I'm pleased that the front wheels do not overwhelm appearance in this photo...   I notice with both this and 60505 there is perceptible cab droop.

Here is 60505, similar treatment, no changes to photo but brightness, sharper etc.

60505_A2_R3831_1ab_r1820.jpg.76ca08a5ed88a4e036f2ac1be207e912.jpg

I'm waiting for my TMC weathered version!

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OliverBytham said:

The 'inside-out' combination lever / union link on the RHS of that particular example of TOF looks none too clever - hopefully just an isolated case. 

Indeed.

Also the cab has a visible air-gap at the join to the top rear of the firebox, hopefully this will click into place as it should. It still looks like droop, regardless. I await an RMweb 'cure' in days or weeks to come. :)

The valve gear will in my experience survive being pushed back into its correct orientation. With care.

60505_A2_R3831_2abc_r1820.jpg.7c43b7f608ab02ccf84d32389c73f36a.jpg

Pity about the cab droop when all else looks good to my eye. I look forward to Kernow's photo for comparison.

edit,  given the propensity for RTR A2s to have cab droop, how about this Bachmann A2? A still from a 2018 Sam's Trains review ... and he didn't even notice the droop....   

60537_A2_Image1.jpg.bdffb54a1e035e871e664e8b1c7ca225.jpg

I had a couple of Bachmann models which were just as bad, I'm hoping the Hornby A2s are better, or at least an easy tweak with  the fingers to fix.

My feeling is that this will be variable. It was on the latest Duchesses and may well be part and parcel of modern RTR at these prices.

Here is 60501 which looks about right but not perfect..

60501_A2_R3830_r1820.jpg.2f7df0a94faa7f7dcccfe2d5b326ab59.jpg

There is distinct lens/camera distortion in these photos, please do not take them as gospel.

Edited by robmcg
typos, addition.

A shame the quality of the images of the finished models don't fully depict them in the correct light. Hopefully their pictures are updated at some point. For the valve gear I suppose it will certainly be a wait and see if anyone else gets a similar issue. I mean each company has at least one or two slightly faulty loco's that manage to make it to public release. The Cab is certainly an interesting case, but as you have shared, is not something that has happened just to this A2/2. 

1 hour ago, Crouchja32 said:

A shame the quality of the images of the finished models don't fully depict them in the correct light. Hopefully their pictures are updated at some point. For the valve gear I suppose it will certainly be a wait and see if anyone else gets a similar issue. I mean each company has at least one or two slightly faulty loco's that manage to make it to public release. The Cab is certainly an interesting case, but as you have shared, is not something that has happened just to this A2/2. 

Yes I don't want to overly criticize a new release until they are commonly available.

I notice the valve gear has the correct orientation on both sides!  Excellent.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Crouchja32 said:

The Cab is certainly an interesting case, but as you have shared, is not something that has happened just to this A2/2. 

Yes, but the issue with the leaning cab on the Bachmann A1s and A2s was on a model first produced years ago, with a metal footplate - it shouldn't still be happening today, and with different production materials. Unless manufacturers just can't get their geometry right on (truncated) V-front cabs? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thane of Fife arrived this morning - thanks to Bure Valley Model Shop. 

I can confirm that there are no etched plates included - Fox, here I come...

The model, from just a quick glance, conveys well the bulk of the prototype and looks superb, brimming with detail and finesse. Whilst I can't add to or enhance others' photos of the model, the attached shows a new form of packaging (to me) in addition to the conventional coloured sleeve/plastic tray combination.

All in all, a fantastic model....

Mark

Thane of Fife - 1.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Mark C said:

The model, from just a quick glance, conveys well the bulk of the prototype and looks superb, brimming with detail and finesse. Whilst I can't add to or enhance others' photos of the model, the attached shows a new form of packaging (to me) in addition to the conventional coloured sleeve/plastic tray combination.

Mark

Thane of Fife - 1.jpg

It’s useful to receive the opinion of someone who has received a model. Photographs of it “in the wild” are still rather rare. At the moment, I’m leaning towards not getting one. It’s a pity but I’m not at all enthused by the finish.

4 hours ago, Mark C said:

Mark

Thane of Fife - 1.jpg

Hi

Is there any possible chance of a photo of the actual model please.

Regards

David 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi

Is there any possible chance of a photo of the actual model please.

Regards

David 

Hello David

Yes, I'll take a photo in tomorrow's daylight...

Regards

Mark

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

It’s useful to receive the opinion of someone who has received a model. Photographs of it “in the wild” are still rather rare. At the moment, I’m leaning towards not getting one. It’s a pity but I’m not at all enthused by the finish.

I too look forward to the new model, mine is to be weathered before I see it here in NZ in what will seem like an age, maybe a month or two at best.

I'm working on the assumption that the livery will be similar to recent models like Bulleids, 46257 and so on...   and that assembly will be about par or better than recent Hornby models.

Kernow list them in stock but no shop photos yet.

47 minutes ago, robmcg said:

I too look forward to the new model, mine is to be weathered before I see it here in NZ in what will seem like an age, maybe a month or two at best.

I'm working on the assumption that the livery will be similar to recent models like Bulleids, 46257 and so on...   and that assembly will be about par or better than recent Hornby models.

Kernow list them in stock but no shop photos yet.

To me, the finish seems like that of Lord Rodney – one of the worst Hornby BR greens. Time will tell, I’m sure.