Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)

• RMweb Premium

Here's some hasty shots - it's a dull overcast day and I've tried to negate the effects of the flash so that the colours (nearly) match the actual model.

Points noted: -

- unflanged wheels for the (trailing) bogie and no flanged alternatives provided

- accessory pack includes: - front coupling bang plate (but no scale coupling), loco brake rigging (the tender's brake rigging is already fitted), cylinder drain cocks and front steps

- the valve gear has been assembled correctly!

- cab lean?  I'm not certain...

Mark

DSCF1740.JPG

DSCF1741.JPG

DSCF1751.JPG

DSCF1745.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Mark C said:

Here's some hasty shots - it's a dull overcast day and I've tried to negate the effects of the flash so that the colours (nearly) match the actual model.

Points noted: -

- unflanged wheels for the (trailing) bogie and no flanged alternatives provided

- accessory pack includes: - front coupling bang plate (but no scale coupling), loco brake rigging (the tender's brake rigging is already fitted), cylinder drain cocks and front steps

- the valve gear has been assembled correctly!

- cab lean?  I'm not certain...

Mark

DSCF1740.JPG

DSCF1741.JPG

DSCF1751.JPG

DSCF1745.JPG

Hi Mark

Looks a very nice model indeed, thank you for posting the photos.

The third photo looks a little on the light side, is this from the flash effect?

I have found that a coat of Johnson’s Klear does wonders for the Hornby green finish on their Pacific locomotives.

Regards

David 

Thanks for posting the pics, Mark. Mine should arrive in the next hour and of particular interest is the overall colour. The worst I have ever seen  was 71000 Duke of Gloucester from Hornby which really was a washed out green and in the end I sold it as it really grated. Your pics are great, but as David says, there does appear some variation in colour, particularly the third pic. I'm sure I have some Johnson's Klear kicking around, so will wait and see what, if anything is needed. Once I get it out of the box and give it a test run to check all is OK mechanically, I'll post a few more pics. Suprised there are no flanged wheels for the rear truck as per the A4.

• RMweb Premium

Hello David, Gordon

Yes, the third photo shows the effect of the flash - the others are closer to the actual colour (and which also has only a slight sheen).  I think a coat of Klear would be beneficial.

Good spot Al...I hadn't noticed that!!  Clearly, it's configured for fast reverse running!!

Overall the model captures the look and bulk of the loco (I think the going away shot shows this) and I am very pleased, especially as the attached arrived in this morning's post (great service, Fox).  If someone knows how to rotate the image (the original is the right way round) then please tell!!

Regards

Mark

image.png.33c78dc5bae408495ed98751cf682323.png

DSCF1749.JPG

Edited by Mark C
Image rotated - thanks Gordon!
  • Like 1

Many thanks for those pictures. I’m back to being undecided as the finish doesn’t look as bad as I feared. The boiler bands niggle me a bit – it looks as if the black overwhelms the orange.

The lack of flanged wheelsets for the trailing truck worries me. If they aren’t provided, it suggests that they can’t be fitted, even if a wheelset can be sourced. That does not bode well for the A2/3s. I’m more interested in those because Hornby doesn’t usually make a mess of LNER livery.

In other respects, the model looks quite good.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

IT'S ARRIVED!!

60501 - looks great.

Quick question to those who've received their A2/2's:  Is the tender water scoop on back-to-front?

Mine's aiming backwards - surely it should aim forwards, and drop upon request?

Al.

Good spot about the scoop. They seem to come off easily, they have a small rectangular spigot that locates into a hole in the floor, so easy to reverse.

Mine arrived from Bure Valley Models this morning, the third retailer I'd ordered from. My first order was with Rails, re ordered from Hattons in July, the contacted Hattons yesterday, as having become aware they had received stock, was concerned that the listing was no longer showing. Apparently their initial delivery was allocated to earlier pre orders and they had a further delivery but couldn't say when it was coming. They couldn't explain why the listing had been removed.As I'd had a similar experience 3cweeks ago with the 6 wheel BR crimson coaches, I decided to cancel my order. Bure Valley had 7 in stock, they dispatched in 3 hours and it was delivered in less than a day.Think I'll stick with them for Hornby.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

That’s a big assumption. If the assemblers don’t know which way round it goes, perhaps they don’t know where it goes either!

It's there - hidden in the dark depths of the underframe and brake rigging...(I didn't photograph it)...

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rembrow said:

Good spot about the scoop. They seem to come off easily, they have a small rectangular spigot that locates into a hole in the floor, so easy to reverse.

Mine arrived from Bure Valley Models this morning, the third retailer I'd ordered from. My first order was with Rails, re ordered from Hattons in July, the contacted Hattons yesterday, as having become aware they had received stock, was concerned that the listing was no longer showing. Apparently their initial delivery was allocated to earlier pre orders and they had a further delivery but couldn't say when it was coming. They couldn't explain why the listing had been removed.As I'd had a similar experience 3cweeks ago with the 6 wheel BR crimson coaches, I decided to cancel my order. Bure Valley had 7 in stock, they dispatched in 3 hours and it was delivered in less than a day.Think I'll stick with them for Hornby.

Bure Valley Models are a (hidden) gem - that level of service is their norm.

Al - what do you think of yours?

Regards 

Mark 

• Agree 2

Ok, a few more pics. Not totally unhappy with the green, but it is lighter than I would have expected. Not in 71000 territory, but suspect some Klear would help. It's likely the loco will be weathered anyway.

DSCF1504.jpg.12611f5a60b61528cc56e23811caaab9.jpg

Same problem as everyone else. Water scoop 180 degrees out....

DSCF1512.jpg.37c74b3aeedfb406e198db79ecf0d39a.jpg

DSCF1522.jpg.458dd5a9cf952e84269e8cdbc9f31e18.jpg

DSCF1513.jpg.0ad117578a69d9ca79d05f444b8d9494.jpg

DSCF1506.jpg.117614aacdb6ffc0d9d7be63a5b94a89.jpg

Just noticed from studying the pics that the footplate appears not to be straight with a distinct wave up and down about halfway along its length. I haven't touched the loco, so don't know if it is a cast metal footplate for weight or a plastic moulding. Certainly needs looking at unless it is distortion from my camera.

Off to take a look after lunch....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Ok, a few more pics. Not totally unhappy with the green, but it is lighter than I would have expected. Not in 71000 territory, but suspect some Klear would help. It's likely the loco will be weathered anyway.

Just noticed from studying the pics that the footplate appears not to be straight with a distinct wave up and down about halfway along its length. I haven't touched the loco, so don't know if it is a cast metal footplate for weight or a plastic moulding. Certainly needs looking at unless it is distortion from my camera.

Thank you for posting. I see what you mean about the wave. The trailing truck looks similar to Hornby’s arrangement for the easy removal and replacement of the wheels. I wonder why Hornby hasn’t included a flanged set.

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Only pointing this out because I can't unsee it but you appear to be missing the top lamp bracket :(. Lovely station building and track though - good work :)

Oh b*gger.....;)

I’ll see how it runs first and then make a decision, whether or not to return it. Thanks for your kind comments, but I can’t take credit for the buildings. They came from an early version of Peterborough and were built by the late Allan Downes many years ago. They need a bit of tidying up after all these years, but I don’t want to mess them up......:D

Just had a ferret around in the box and have no idea if this is the missing bracket. It’s so small that even with a magnifying glass, I can’t be certain. How on earth I’m supposed to fix it in position with my eyesight and sausage fingers is beyond me.....

image.jpeg.5f87100396167713aba60536b1d5b625.jpeg

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Oh b*gger.....;)

I’ll see how it runs first and then make a decision, whether or not to return it. Thanks for your kind comments, but I can’t take credit for the buildings. They came from an early version of Peterborough and were built by the late Allan Downes many years ago. They need a bit of tidying up after all these years, but I don’t want to mess them up......:D

Just had a ferret around in the box and have no idea if this is the missing bracket. It’s so small that even with a magnifying glass, I can’t be certain. How on earth I’m supposed to fix it in position with my eyesight and sausage fingers is beyond me.....

image.jpeg.5f87100396167713aba60536b1d5b625.jpeg

Definately the bracket. If it has dropped out it will push back in and a pin head of superglue should hold it. Unfortunately if it has broken off  this wont work and it needs a hole making and a new bracket. Fully sympathise with the eyesight issue - I limit detailed work to good light days in the attic and have some reading glasses way stronger than for normal use for close up work!

I’m the same, Mike. I have two pairs of prescriptions glasses with a magnification number of 3.5. They’re like looking through beer bottles, but least they make close up work possible, but even then I’ve noticed a drop off over the last 5 years. I had to pull out a 10x magnifier to see the bracket. Amazed that I even saw something this small in the first place.

Checked out the smoke box and there is a hole where the bracket fits, although holding it in long nose tweezers will be fun. Took a look at the footplate and the other side is flat, so it could be an assembly issue. If the loco runs well, then I’ll probably take the body off and see if anything obvious is causing the problem.

image.jpeg.bf288b6846cba1d9fee14d16458fb565.jpeg

• Like 2

Are we all agreed, the water scoop's 180' out?

Don't want to 'butcher' a brand new locomotive for nothing - I'm sure I'll be careful .... !!  :rolleyes:

Need to open up the tender anyway - MUCH too light - should be up to half the weight of the locomotive, perhaps a little more than half when fully laden, not 20%.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Are we all agreed, the water scoop's 180' out?

Don't want to 'butcher' a brand new locomotive for nothing - I'm sure I'll be careful .... !!  :rolleyes:

Yes of course it is. They are usually just fitted in a square hole as a friction fit ie no glue. How long have this factory been producing steam locomotives? Surely they should have realised that was the wrong way. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, gordon s said:

I’m the same, Mike. I have two pairs of prescriptions glasses with a magnification number of 3.5. They’re like looking through beer bottles, but least they make close up work possible, but even then I’ve noticed a drop off over the last 5 years. I had to pull out a 10x magnifier to see the bracket. Amazed that I even saw something this small in the first place.

Checked out the smoke box and there is a hole where the bracket fits, although holding it in long nose tweezers will be fun. Took a look at the footplate and the other side is flat, so it could be an assembly issue. If the loco runs well, then I’ll probably take the body off and see if anything obvious is causing the problem.

image.jpeg.bf288b6846cba1d9fee14d16458fb565.jpeg

Hi

Thats a great looking model, if you don't have to the top lamp bracket, then a cut down staple painted black will do the job nicely.

Regards

David

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1