Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)

5 hours ago, gordon s said:

I’m the same, Mike. I have two pairs of prescriptions glasses with a magnification number of 3.5. They’re like looking through beer bottles, but least they make close up work possible, but even then I’ve noticed a drop off over the last 5 years. I had to pull out a 10x magnifier to see the bracket. Amazed that I even saw something this small in the first place.

Checked out the smoke box and there is a hole where the bracket fits, although holding it in long nose tweezers will be fun. Took a look at the footplate and the other side is flat, so it could be an assembly issue. If the loco runs well, then I’ll probably take the body off and see if anything obvious is causing the problem.

image.jpeg.bf288b6846cba1d9fee14d16458fb565.jpeg

Commiserations re eyesight and finger dexterity from me also, I hope you find some way to fix the top lamp bracket, isn't it annoying once something like that is seen, it cannot be overlooked!  I use a more dextrous younger brother who visits from time to time to dig me out of such holes... :) Whatever happened to my eyesight from age 12yrs-40ys!? (70 now). I open all models these days over a flat surface and with a tile floor, and often find such small parts, e.g. front handrails on bath tub Coronations... 

I am very relieved that these two A2 production model illustrated in the last page have no cab droop!   They also look to my eye very good in general, far better than I had hoped, and I may just buy another A2/2 and pre=order an A2/3 on the strength of it.

I particularly like the rendition of the front frame area, and that the front bogie wheels are sufficiently darkened and not toy-like. Top marks there.

I think Tony Wright may be correct, these are equal to the very finest RTR 00 models, or better. Though my vote for that still tends to the N15...

Thanks for the photos. 

Edited by robmcg
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mark C said:

Here's some hasty shots - it's a dull overcast day and I've tried to negate the effects of the flash so that the colours (nearly) match the actual model.

Points noted: -

- unflanged wheels for the (trailing) bogie and no flanged alternatives provided

- accessory pack includes: - front coupling bang plate (but no scale coupling), loco brake rigging (the tender's brake rigging is already fitted), cylinder drain cocks and front steps

- the valve gear has been assembled correctly!

- cab lean?  I'm not certain...

Mark

DSCF1740.JPG

DSCF1741.JPG

DSCF1751.JPG

DSCF1745.JPG

Hi Mark, just looking at your pics again and unless it’s my imagination, there are signs of a similar wave in your footplate on the same side as mine, but perhaps not so pronounced. This may possibly confirm an assembly issue where one component is not sitting properly or the body has been clamped down too tightly. I’ll take a look at it tomorrow and see if there is anything obvious. The other side is perfectly flat on both locomotives. Not the end of the world and I can live with it, but curiosity makes me want to take a look. It’s in the three pics directly above and runs from the centre driver to the front driver and cylinders.

I have to say, mine has been running on the bench for several hours now and it really is quiet and smooth in both directions.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mark C said:

Here's some hasty shots - it's a dull overcast day and I've tried to negate the effects of the flash so that the colours (nearly) match the actual model.

Points noted: -

- unflanged wheels for the (trailing) bogie and no flanged alternatives provided

- accessory pack includes: - front coupling bang plate (but no scale coupling), loco brake rigging (the tender's brake rigging is already fitted), cylinder drain cocks and front steps

- the valve gear has been assembled correctly!

- cab lean?  I'm not certain...

Mark

DSCF1740.JPG

DSCF1741.JPG

DSCF1751.JPG

DSCF1745.JPG

Thankyou for these photos. I think you have just made many more sales for Hornby   after my rather poor re-hash of Hattons' photos yesterday!

What a lovely model!   And I had always thought the Thompson Pacifics a bit ungainly.

• Thanks 1

First of all what brilliant service from Bure Valley Railways Shop in supplying my Hornby A2/2.

Its a pity the Hornby QA is not so good as BVR service and I want to join the growing number of victims of poor quality products, particularly this model.

£191 for a loco with a missing lamp iron terrible, I know there are worse things happening in life right now, but if you’re asking these sort of prices it’s got to be perfect, very nice doesn’t warrant the price. BVR are now going to have to waste time and money sorting out my problem.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gordon s said:

Hi Mark, just looking at your pics again and unless it’s my imagination, there are signs of a similar wave in your footplate on the same side as mine, but perhaps not so pronounced. This may possibly confirm an assembly issue where one component is not sitting properly or the body has been clamped down too tightly. I’ll take a look at it tomorrow and see if there is anything obvious. The other side is perfectly flat on both locomotives. Not the end of the world and I can live with it, but curiosity makes me want to take a look. It’s in the three pics directly above and runs from the centre driver to the front driver and cylinders.

I have to say, mine has been running on the bench for several hours now and it really is quiet and smooth in both directions.

Hello Gordon

Yes, the photos of the wave are causing me to look again tomorrow.  I did look along both footplate edges when I first took the loco out of its packaging...I'm now beginning to wonder...!  My worry is that it's a cast metal footplate i think and therefore not that straightforward to ease back into shape.  Please let us know how you progress with your investigations.

Bench testing here tomorrow too.

Regards 

Mark 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, robmcg said:

Thankyou for these photos. I think you have just made many more sales for Hornby   after my rather poor re-hash of Hattons' photos yesterday!

What a lovely model!   And I had always thought the Thompson Pacifics a bit ungainly.

You're very welcome.  I think the model's appearance just oozes power...

Regards 

Mark 

Well, what can I say?

Mine can 'scoop' when going forwards - there is a square hole, but it was part-glued in as well and the 'peg' is miniscule', so glued assistance was required - no big deal.

Slow crawl is reasonable, running VERY smooth, and it has a decent haulage capacity, and quite a good turn of speed as well .... so far, running VERY well - I'm liking it.

The boiler bands will 'grow on me', eventually - too black for me and that shade of green is a tad strange ... maybe it's me.

Al.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

I am so impressed by the look of the models shown in this thread that I have made the leap and pre-ordered an A2/3.

Now I can not only be impatient for the arrival of a TMC-weathered 60505  but also a pristine 60523...  which I am hopeful will have been made before the Chinese New Year. Shops still show it as expected Jan 2021.

And to think, I used to judge the Thompson engines as somewhat ungainly and not very successful but after reading the Irwell Book of he A1 and A2 Pacifics by Peter Coster I am of the opinion that the Thompson A2s were underrated by critics.

They even look good to me now...  250lb boiler, 50 sq ft grate, double blastpipe, what could possibly go wrong?   :)

60500_A2_image2abc_r1820.jpg.5738d6d130eb10e69c2abec25682ab1c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all who've posted photos. 

It looks like the issues with the model are:

1. Wonky cab 

2. Wavy footplate 

3. Dodgy green 

4. Dodgier lining

5. Small details missing or incorrectly fitted. 

I considered buying one just because they're so stunningly ugly, but with these issues I think I'll pass. 

• Agree 5

9 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

1. Wonky cab 

2. Wavy footplate 

3. Dodgy green 

4. Dodgier lining

I considered buying one just because they're so stunningly ugly, but with these issues I think I'll pass. 

Hi

I love your last comment, they certainly are ugly ducklings ’ I have 60501 on order with Hatton’s.

The running plate and cab problems  may be difficult to rectify but a coat of Johnson’s Klear and some weathering should hopefully improve the green livery and lining issues 

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Daddyman said:

1. Wonky cab 

2. Wavy footplate 

3. Dodgy green 

4. Dodgier lining

Hornby are hopless when it comes to straight running plates, you'd think with how bad the A3 has been for years, they'd be making all of these big locos with metal running plates.... which ironically the A3 will now be getting. I have multiple Royal Scots and and new Princesses (LMS man here) with wonky running plates or the ski jump front ends. Then there are others with the same models without this problem at all. Very annoying.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Brocp said:

Hornby are hopless when it comes to straight running plates, you'd think with how bad the A3 has been for years, they'd be making all of these big locos with metal running plates.... which ironically the A3 will now be getting. I have multiple Royal Scots and and new Princesses (LMS man here) with wonky running plates or the ski jump front ends. Then there are others with the same models without this problem at all. Very annoying.

Time to vote with our feet.... 

• Agree 3

Still looks to me that Thane of Fife has cab droop! Looking at gordon s photo of the right hand side of the loco, the cab side horizontal hand rail is certainly not parallel with the boiler handrails and slopes downwards to the rear. Pity Hornby didn't sort this out given all the comments about it before the production models arrived.

• Agree 1

I can't see much of an issue at all with my CotN tbh.

Perhaps I'm relaxing my 'critical eye' a bit too much, but the cab seems much better aligned than I've seen in photos.

Running plate?  Got to agree with the general comments - should be metal - would have to watch out there's no shorting out through the valvegear perhaps.

Al.

• Like 1

Very easy to remove the body shell this morning. Just two screws, one at each end hold the body on, so that rules out over tightened screws. The whole body is plastic and not cast. The only thing that I can see that may cause the problem is the lubricator box? on each side. There is a noticeable gap on the 'straight side' between the angled box and the boiler. 

Here is the straight side, where you can see a clear gap between the angled box and the boiler.

DSCF1546.jpg.8f1a5969970bfafe3f46feb64250b07d.jpg

The other side is slightly tighter and the angled box is definitely pushing against the boiler and may be pushing down the footplate. Being plastic, there is some flexibility along its length, so this may be the cause. 

DSCF1547.jpg.4073579c52452d48a70308818ef67d41.jpg

As far as I'm aware there are unlikely to be replacements, so as long as I run the loco clockwise, it won't show....;)

To be honest, it is something I could live with. I'd prefer not to, but as the loco is such a smooth runner, I'd rather have one than none at all. The lamp bracket is a simple thing to fix and I'm sure weathering/Klear will give it a well worn appearance.  Above all, it captures the prototype well, runs beautifully and the with the complexity of modern models that are shipped half way round the world, there are always going to be the odd part come adrift. The hardest part is to find where they should be before parting company.

Edit: Change of mind re buying another one. On reflection I don’t believe the quality is commensurate with the price paid and once out of hospital I will return my loco for a refund or credit against other loco’s I have on order.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Sandbox fillers and backing plate, I think.

It'll be interesting to see if CotN models are similarly afflicted with the wavy running plate, given 60501 has the different sandbox filler arrangement with no backing plate to foul the boiler. 

1 hour ago, gordon s said:

Very easy to remove the body shell this morning. Just two screws, one at each end hold the body on, so that rules out over tightened screws. The whole body is plastic and not cast. The only thing that I can see that may cause the problem is the lubricator box? on each side. There is a noticeable gap on the 'straight side' between the angled box and the boiler. 

Here is the straight side, where you can see a clear gap between the angled box and the boiler.

DSCF1546.jpg.8f1a5969970bfafe3f46feb64250b07d.jpg

The other side is slightly tighter and the angled box is definitely pushing against the boiler and may be pushing down the footplate. Being plastic, there is some flexibility along its length, so this may be the cause. 

DSCF1547.jpg.4073579c52452d48a70308818ef67d41.jpg

As far as I'm aware there are unlikely to be replacements, so as long as I run the loco clockwise, it won't show....;)

To be honest, it is something I could live with. I'd prefer not to, but as the loco is such a smooth runner, I'd rather have one than none at all. The lamp bracket is a simple thing to fix and I'm sure weathering/Klear will give it a well worn appearance.  Above all, it captures the prototype well, runs beautifully and the with the complexity of modern models that are shipped half way round the world, there are always going to be the odd part come adrift. The hardest part is to find where they should be before parting company.

Would I buy another? Definitely......:good_mini:

Hi

The Hornby A2/2’s are not cheap at around £170.00 but far less than having aN A2/2 kit built for you.

So we all want a  model that looks good and runs well.

I personally think the model looks brilliant and sometimes we can be over critical especially when  other members on  the forum add their comments.

My advise enjoy your A2/2 and as you have said a bit of weathering and Klear will work wonders to it’s overall appearance. 

Once you having it running on your layout it won’t seem half a bad.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

I received from Kernow 60501 and 60505 this afternoon - it is my birthday this month ! Forewarned by earlier posts I first checked for top lamp brackets and indeed on both locos this was missing. Checking for anything loose in each box I found what appeared to be the missing items although they look a bit small, one especially, to my eye. This seems to be a common problem.

I also checked the water scoops on both tenders and indeed they are both facing backwards. The tenders on each loco are slightly different , one having higher front and back plates. I must check Yeadon for the tender history.

Cab droop had also been previously mentioned and wavey running plate but on first inspection this did not appear to be a problem. Maybe just a hint of a wavey running plate on one side but nothing that would trouble me. I'll take another look in better light tomorrow. 

I look forward to giving them a run tomorrow but I must first tidy the wiring between loco and tender on 60505 before doing so as one of the wires droops down to rail level.

So in general I am pleased with the models - better than I could build myself - although I do have an A2/2 kit with V fronted cab in the 'roundtoit' pile!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I shall un-box my ToF with great care and attention to the top front lamp bracket!

Here is a link to the picture I created from Gordon S's earlier photo o this model, 

from the Best Ever thread.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82970-hornbys-best-ever-models/page/136/&tab=comments#comment-4307324

Lovely stuff!

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

Just gave my CotN 60501 a closer inspection:

POSITIVES:

1. Running plate - straight as a die - checked with a steel rule - no ski jumps or jelly moulds.
  2. Lamp brackets - all present.
  3. Cab - lines up perfectly to tender - running plate lines up perfectly to the tender chassis.  No droop on mine!
  4. Performance - absolutely superb - very quiet, smooth, can crawl ridiculously slowly and be cranked up to perhaps a scale 110mph - 9 coaches with relative ease.
  5. Locomotive weight - quite acceptable as well.

NEGATIVES:

1. That 'green' - not the biggest fan.
  2. Tender - much too light - corrected with a reasonable amount of lead - loco+tender = 500g - total coincidence!
  3. Boiler bands - strange - hardly see the orange, and black far too dominant.

I removed the easily removed body - great news - Hornby's best motor and no stupid flywheel - not a fan - creates inertia.

Agreed - running plate woefully unstable - now agreed the Bachmann format should be considered for top-of-the-line locomotives.

Smokebox strangely blanked off completely - no room to add a little more weight, which by locomotive weight alone would be nice, but by the performance, tbh, really doesn't appear necessary.

OVERALL:

SUPERB LOCOMOTIVE MODEL - great effort.

All detailing fitted - didn't locate the plate to glue under the front buffer beam to catch the 3-link, so used a 'spare' Royal Scot one ... no-one would know!

Added a few Springside lamps.

Fitted Springside crew.

Ordered Fox's etched plates - just will add that little 'something'.

Wondering if it's too soon to dull the smokebox - normally mask of the lot except the smokebox and matt black it for effect.

Definitely a 'keeper' and top drawer.

Al.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Just gave my CotN 60501 a closer inspection:

POSITIVES:

1. Running plate - straight as a die - checked with a steel rule - no ski jumps or jelly moulds.
  2. Lamp brackets - all present.
  3. Cab - lines up perfectly to tender - running plate lines up perfectly to the tender chassis.  No droop on mine!
  4. Performance - absolutely superb - very quiet, smooth, can crawl ridiculously slowly and be cranked up to perhaps a scale 110mph - 9 coaches with relative ease.
  5. Locomotive weight - quite acceptable as well.

NEGATIVES:

1. That 'green' - not the biggest fan.
  2. Tender - much too light - corrected with a reasonable amount of lead - loco+tender = 500g - total coincidence!
  3. Boiler bands - strange - hardly see the orange, and black far too dominant.

I removed the easily removed body - great news - Hornby's best motor and no stupid flywheel - not a fan - creates inertia.

Agreed - running plate woefully unstable - now agreed the Bachmann format should be considered for top-of-the-line locomotives.

Smokebox strangely blanked off completely - no room to add a little more weight, which by locomotive weight alone would be nice, but by the performance, tbh, really doesn't appear necessary.

OVERALL:

SUPERB LOCOMOTIVE MODEL - great effort.

All detailing fitted - didn't locate the plate to glue under the front buffer beam to catch the 3-link, so used a 'spare' Royal Scot one ... no-one would know!

Added a few Springside lamps.

Fitted Springside crew.

Ordered Fox's etched plates - just will add that little 'something'.

Wondering if it's too soon to dull the smokebox - normally mask of the lot except the smokebox and matt black it for effect.

Definitely a 'keeper' and top drawer.

Al.

Now you've made me want to buy a CotN   and I had promised myself I would be prudent.

I also have pre-ordered an A2/3 late BR 60523 'Sun Castle'  and wonder if anyone has an idea when the first of this variant on Thompson's Folly might arrive?   I seem to remember someone saying that the BR ones are coming first, but cannot remember where or when...

In anticipation I used Hornby's advertising photos to create this picture, a reasonable expectation of the model, I feel. I haven't done anything that Hornby hasn't done in their own pictures. Except a hint of flange on the rear pony truck.

60523_A2_R3835_portrait3_4abc_r1820.jpg.e6277fdc621b6b633543244a07f17800.jpg

Edited by robmcg
correction to pic
  • Like 2