Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)

• RMweb Premium

A couple of people here have mentioned getting theirs from them. I ordered on the day Hornby announced these and I have not heard anything yet. I “chatted” with Hattons last week and they indicated they were still waiting for most of theirs to arrive, and were expecting them soon.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

My A2/2 was from Hattons, 'pre-ordered' in Jan 2020!

Main visual problem is said to be the green - I thought that, but don't think it's that far off.

It's the boiler bands - black is too dominant, orange almost non-existent.

I've already done a lot to mine, this is one option I may consider, but am not super-confident - good practice should I 'advance' to kits one day I suppose:

https://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/gresley-a2-2-and-a2-3-loco-lining-set

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

My A2/2 was from Hattons, 'pre-ordered' in Jan 2020!

Main visual problem is said to be the green - I thought that, but don't think it's that far off.

It's the boiler bands - black is too dominant, orange almost non-existent.

I've already done a lot to mine, this is one option I may consider, but am not super-confident - good practice should I 'advance' to kits one day I suppose:

https://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/gresley-a2-2-and-a2-3-loco-lining-set

Al.

Is the green the same all over?

I find the variation more troublesome that the actual shade.

A change from the usual comment on various models of the orange being too bright.

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

I've just lifted mine up to the brighter daylight, and rotated it, and moved around.

I can say it is 100% the same colour - no variations.

Apparent variations can be effects of light angles and reflections in the satin finish I believe.

Main problem is more the boiler bands - I've ordered from Fox's but it's been quite a few years since I've applied boiler lining ... wish me luck,

(Tbh, it's quite easily removed until 'sealed' in with lacquer / varnish.)

Al.

Hi Al,

Some Fox transfers I have found are very delicate while others I have used without any problem. I think that might be the way to go. Unless you want to apply very heavy weathering.

In some respects this model is a step back from the original China made A3.

A shame as given the amount of research and publicity I was expecting something special.

Bernard

• Like 2

Must admit to some extent I agree - I was hoping there was nothing to resolve.

Thanks for the heads up on the lining, I've found that out myself - tender's the worst but they do line up quite nicely.

What did it for me is seeing the most recent 'Britannia' Sam's Trains video - the colour and lining are near-perfect ... why did this change?

Al.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, atom3624 said:

Thanks for the heads up on the lining, I've found that out myself - tender's the worst but they do line up quite nicely.

What did it for me is seeing the most recent 'Britannia' Sam's Trains video - the colour and lining are near-perfect ... why did this change?

Al.

Agreed, if Hornby uniformidly used the same brunswick Green they apply to the Britannia and the 4MT we'd have nothing to gripe about.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Hi Bernard,

I've just lifted mine up to the brighter daylight, and rotated it, and moved around.

Apparent variations can be effects of light angles and reflections in the satin finish I believe.

Main problem is more the boiler bands - I've ordered from Fox's but it's been quite a few years since I've applied boiler lining ... wish me luck,

Al.

How did you remove the factory applied boiler bands?

2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Hi Bernard,

Al.

Hi Al

I applied boiler band transfers from Fox to my Graeme King/Bachmann A2/3 conversion and they went on very smoothly including the tender linings as well, I have enclosed below a photo of my A2/3.

The only possible problem may be getting around the fitted boiler brass handrails.

Good luck anyway if you decide to go ahead replacing them, I assume you will fit them over the factory applied boiler band transfers.

I do have some spare Fox transfer boiler bands left over certainly enough to do at least two A2/2's, as they are six boiler bands per loco, you are welcome to some if you want them.

PM me with your home address if you would like them as you would have to buy the complete transfer sheet from Fox which is around £14.00 plus P/P.

Regards

David

60521_IMG_3545B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
additional information
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Al

I applied boiler band transfers from Fox to my Graeme King/Bachmann A2/3 conversion and they went on very smoothly including the tender linings as well, I have enclosed below a photo of my A2/3.

The only possible problem may be getting around the fitted boiler brass handrails.

Good luck anyway if you decide to go ahead replacing them, I assume you will fit them over the factory applied boiler band transfers.

I do have some spare Fox transfer boiler bands left over certainly enough to do at least two A2/2's, as they are six boiler bands per loco, you are welcome to some if you want them.

PM me with your home address if you would like them as you would have to buy the complete transfer sheet from Fox which is around £14.00 plus P/P.

Regards

David

60521_IMG_3545B.jpg

Hi David,

Thanks for the offer - pity I wasn't so 'spontaneous'!!

I've already ordered them.

Very nice of you to offer nevertheless and thanks.

Those bands do look spot on.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

1 hour ago, davidw said:

How did you remove the factory applied boiler bands?

Hi David,

I haven't touched the originals.

I'm going to simply place over - width and depth should be adequate to cover the old judging by appearances.

I suppose if needs be, the boiler may remove from the running plate. Not checked what removing the 3 screws liberates.

I don't want to do a full respray on a brand new locomotive, but it might be an option - I have plenty of green colour options from Brunswick through a couple of Land Rover Hornby equivalents.

Al.

11 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Hi David,

Thanks for the offer - pity I wasn't so 'spontaneous'!!

I've already ordered them.

Very nice of you to offer nevertheless and thanks.

Those bands do look spot on.

Al.

Hi Al

Please let us know how it goes, I will probably do the same when my A2/2 arrives.

I will also apply weathering and the Brunswick Green on the model will determine how much.

Regards

David

11 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Hi David,

I'm going to simply place over - width and depth should be adequate to cover the old judging by appearances.

I suppose if needs be, the boiler may remove from the running plate. Not checked what removing the 3 screws liberates.

I don't want to do a full respray on a brand new locomotive, but it might be an option - I have plenty of green colour options from Brunswick through a couple of Land Rover Hornby equivalents.

Al.

The three screws at the front end simply hold the footplate in place. I was able to open it sufficiently to refix the poorly fitted sandbox. Unfortunately the backend appears to be glued to the cab floor and I didn’t want to disturb that, so didn’t investigate further.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Al.

Different factory perhaps 

• Agree 2

There's got to be something.

This was a perhaps 10-year-old Britannia - Anzac I think - colour and lining are near-perfect,

There was mention of a change of factory recently wasn't there?

How many do Hornby use?

Does one do chassis, the other shells, another assemble?

Al.

28 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Al

Please let us know how it goes, I will probably do the same when my A2/2 arrives.

I will also apply weathering and the Brunswick Green on the model will determine how much.

Regards

David

Hi David,

Ideally it's best to paint over - your weathering - or to lacquer / varnish over transfers to hold them in place.

I've yet to find the perfect 'conditions' for varnish other than warm / hot to avoid fogging.

I'll proceed with the bands but will probably hold on the lacquer until the ambient is warmer.

Al.

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Hi David,

Al.

Okay thanks I've lots of fox lining.

45 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Hi David,

Ideally it's best to paint over - your weathering - or to lacquer / varnish over transfers to hold them in place.

I've yet to find the perfect 'conditions' for varnish other than warm / hot to avoid fogging.

I'll proceed with the bands but will probably hold on the lacquer until the ambient is warmer.

Al.

Hi Al

To be honest I never use varnish, I always apply Johnson's Klear with a flat brush whether I am sealing transfers or trying to giving that oily rag look to a loco either before or sometimes after weathering.

Regards

David

• Agree 1

This seems to be getting worse.

There is no dummy screw coupling as mentioned by others, but on opening the accessory pack there is no tension lock either and no provision for attaching one.

The drain cocks and pipes are the longer variety which I think, not having checked a drawing but going by a few photos, are correct for the forthcoming model, but are too long for this one. 

The more I look at the boiler bands and refer to photos the worse I find them so it looks like a transfer job for me now.

Bernard

7 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

This seems to be getting worse.

There is no dummy screw coupling as mentioned by others, but on opening the accessory pack there is no tension lock either and no provision for attaching one.

The drain cocks and pipes are the longer variety which I think, not having checked a drawing but going by a few photos, are correct for the forthcoming model, but are too long for this one. 

The more I look at the boiler bands and refer to photos the worse I find them so it looks like a transfer job for me now.

Bernard

Hi Bernard, I don't believe there's been provision for tension lock couplings on the front of any Hornby Pacific other than possibly Railroad Scotsman and Tornado for many years.

A dummy screw link is s strange omission. Fortunately it's available as s spare. It finishes the model off nicelyIMG_20210207_195801906_optimized.jpg.8db2dc515d169b71c8fdc6015db757c7.jpg

My 60501 arrived from Kernow today. I only quikly unpacked it in the man cave/freezing cold garage and given it a short up & down test along the layout - seems fine to me, and I went back in the warm! Plates are coming from Fox for 60502, but what about a chimney with a lip? Any suggestions of a source are invited so that my late crest 60502 can emerge.

Stewart

17 minutes ago, davidw said:

Hi Bernard, I don't believe there's been provision for tension lock couplings on the front of any Hornby Pacific other than possibly Railroad Scotsman and Tornado for many years.

A dummy screw link is s strange omission. Fortunately it's available as s spare. It finishes the model off nicely

Thanks David,

The last big Hornby loco I bought was a B17 and that had one,

I added a few bits and pieces today to FoF as the light was good and touched up the reversing rod and cab eaves in black. I have a few sets of Smiths couplings in a draw so I need to dig out a pack and fit one.

Bernard

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

My 60501 arrived from Kernow today. I only quikly unpacked it in the man cave/freezing cold garage and given it a short up & down test along the layout - seems fine to me, and I went back in the warm! Plates are coming from Fox for 60502, but what about a chimney with a lip? Any suggestions of a source are invited so that my late crest 60502 can emerge.

Stewart

Hi Stewart

Graeme King I believe sell lipped double chimneys made from resin.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, davidw said:

A dummy screw link is s strange omission. Fortunately it's available as s spare. It finishes the model off nicelyIMG_20210207_195801906_optimized.jpg.8db2dc515d169b71c8fdc6015db757c7.jpg

Hi David

Is your photo of the new Hornby A2/2 as the green in your picture looks quite reasonable to me.

Regards

David

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi David

Is your photo of the new Hornby A2/2 as the green in your picture looks quite reasonable to me.

Regards

David

I agree. I've compared it with an A3 and A4. 60077 and 60015 -a renamed and renumbered 60031. On both of the Gresley machines the  green is darker. But they've both been weathered. The A2 won't be weathered until spring. I'll do it in the back garden. I've talked myself-or maybe the wife has talked me out of 60501 I'll wait for 60502. I'm modelling further south on the ECML. So plenty of scope for Thompson A2s.

A2/2s and A2/3s. Though for the latter I've got a DJH version and Graeme King version.

Edited by davidw
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1