Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Paddy said:

Hi Folks,

Just had a wee look at Sam’s video which shows his replacement loco.  Firstly, all credit to Simon Kohler for reaching out to Sam and sending him a replacement.  However, even the replacement is not perfect - the mind boggles.  If that was me, I would have gone over the example I was going to send to Sam with a fine tooth Combe before releasing it.  An opportunity missed a wee bit on Hornby’s part to change the narrative.

Kind regards

Paddy

And doesn’t encourage me to part with £170. Another curate’s egg 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Agreed,

When you look closely at the Hornby Railroad P2, it is by far superior in build quality/paint finish than a new A2/2 which is at least double the price.

Personally I've never had a problem with 'design clever' - other than the name - I'd rather have consistent finely moulded detail (for example coach door handles) than the level of assembly quality variation we're seeing here; it was an understandable strategy given the situation they found themselves in.

From the last Hornby interview I watched on Youtube a few weeks back SK is no fan of it, hence the new P2 etc. I guess. Maybe this current problem will change his mind, but as always it's very difficult to judge whether 1% or 50% of buyers are sufficiently annoyed about it to make a fuss.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

20 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

Personally I've never had a problem with 'design clever' - other than the name - I'd rather have consistent finely moulded detail (for example coach door handles) than the level of assembly quality variation we're seeing here; it was an understandable strategy given the situation they found themselves in.

From the last Hornby interview I watched on Youtube a few weeks back SK is no fan of it, hence the new P2 etc. I guess. Maybe this current problem will change his mind, but as always it's very difficult to judge whether 1% or 50% of buyers are sufficiently annoyed about it to make a fuss.

A good example of well moulded/robust detailing is the Railroad Crosti 9F which is excellent. With little effort, this can be made into a very acceptable representation of the actual loco.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 9

12 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Agreed,

When you look closely at the Hornby Railroad P2, it is by far superior in build quality/paint finish than a new A2/2 which is at least double the price.

I've got A2/3 (Sun Castle) on order and hope that it's better in every way than the A2/2.

For some reason, Hornby usually seems to do a decent job on LNER livery. For some other reason, Hornby usually doesn’t seem to do a decent job on BR and GWR liveries. However, a goodly number of P2s, including my own, were hopeless runners. Thanks to contributors on RMweb, a suitable alternative motor was located and fitted. It seems that the motors used during the “design clever” episode were wildly inconsistent and the addition of a flywheel did nothing to help the worst examples. The main range version (mine) was the same except that it had better lining, tender pickups and a TTS decoder, which I discarded.

“P2s? Don’t talk to me about P2s.” 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

For some reason, Hornby usually seems to do a decent job on LNER livery. For some other reason, Hornby usually doesn’t seem to do a decent job on BR and GWR liveries. However, a goodly number of P2s, including my own, were hopeless runners. Thanks to contributors on RMweb, a suitable alternative motor was located and fitted. It seems that the motors used during the “design clever” episode were wildly inconsistent and the addition of a flywheel did nothing to help the worst examples. The main range version (mine) was the same except that it had better lining, tender pickups and a TTS decoder, which I discarded.

“P2s? Don’t talk to me about P2s.” 

Agree in general with your observations on Hornby’s rendition of green livery. It does however vary somewhat,even within different releases of the same model.the Britannia,WC ( both versions) ,the Star and the Castle being a few examples. “Some’s better ‘n others.” After a fiddle with the keeper plate by someone with the nous ,my P2 ran superbly. Sorry,not taking the “P” btw.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Spelling
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And doesn’t encourage me to part with £170. Another curate’s egg 

I'm quite happy. 

Img_2847a_r1820.jpg.ba54444008b935974e60c2407dbc1343.jpg

unadulterated, UKP189     straight out of box, runs well. Nothing done for photo but crop and re-size.  

Camera details above; afternoon window light, no artificial light, Canon EOS-M half frame camera, hand held program auto f4.5 1/40th ISO 1600  Canon Kit lens 18-55mm at 31mm.    

Img_2860ab_r1820.jpg.31cc7173ccf125a2ef7fa909834a0883.jpg

Will be opening a weathered 60505 today, what more can a man wish for?

Camera detail; Afternoon window light as previous, no artificial light at all. Camera, Canon EOS-M half frame. F25 at 30 secs  ISO 100  focal length 25mm 

Edited by robmcg
added details
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, 31A said:

Glad to hear you've got a good 'un, Rob!

Thanks, I'm a bit short of available time but there will no doubt be more to come, insipid green notwithstanding.

i'm about to add the camera details for the two photos above for those who are interested.

Best

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, robmcg said:

I'm quite happy. 

Img_2847a_r1820.jpg.ba54444008b935974e60c2407dbc1343.jpg

unadulterated, UKP189     straight out of box, runs well. Nothing done for photo but crop and re-size.  

Img_2860ab_r1820.jpg.31cc7173ccf125a2ef7fa909834a0883.jpg

Will be opening a weathered 60505 today, what more can a man wish for?

Well Rob,I can answer that in so many different ways..both appertaining to this thread and elsewhere .Glad indeed you have received a model that is cosmetically intact.Why you have included the Bachmann A2/1 in your image somewhat mystifies me and I’m sorry but I question the appropriateness of its inclusion.They are models of two different prototypes made by two different companies as I have already posted.What point are you attempting to make  ? I eagerly await a response. There’s an awful lot most of us can wish for other than this at this moment in time other than moments of self indulgence.Please consider 

• Like 1

I offer the comparison of the A2 Hornby Brunwsick green and the Bachmann version of the same colour.  It is not a general model comparison, just the green, subject of so much comment.   Photographed in the same non-artificial light, without editing.

No idea why you think that may be inappropriate.

I note that the Hornby A2/2 is fragile, and picking it up by the running boards is not to be recommended (having just written that this is not a comparison, you can pick up the Bahmann one safely)

The Hornby manufacturing code is GFT01

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Thanks, I'm a bit short of available time but there will no doubt be more to come, insipid green notwithstanding.

i'm about to add the camera details for the two photos above for those who are interested.

Best

Hi Ribbie

yes please with the photos 

David

3 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Well Rob,I can answer that in so many different ways..both appertaining to this thread and elsewhere .Glad indeed you have received a model that is cosmetically intact.Why you have included the Bachmann A2/1 in your image somewhat mystifies me and I’m sorry but I question the appropriateness of its inclusion.They are models of two different prototypes made by two different companies as I have already posted.What point are you attempting to make  ? I eagerly await a response. There’s an awful lot most of us can wish for other than this at this moment in time other than moments of self indulgence.Please consider 

Hi Ian

I can only assume like me Robbie was showing the two locomotives purely as a colour comparison even though they are different locomotive classes and from different manufacturers they are both suppose to represent Brunswick Green.

Also he informed me a few days ago both are new locomotives.

Incidentally the the Bachmann is an peppercorn A2 not a Thompson A2/1.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Ribbie

yes please with the photos 

David

Hi Ian

I can only assume like me Robbie was showing the two locomotives purely as a colour comparison even though they are different locomotive classes and from different manufacturers they are both suppose to represent Brunswick Green.

Also he informed me a few days ago both are new locomotives.

Incidentally the the Bachmann is an peppercorn A2 not a Thompson A2/1.

Regards

David

Ah that there were the case.Refer posts back to derogatory remarks re: Bachmann’s A2/1as a comparison. Sorry I don’t buy into this. 

22 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Rob,

Sam mentioned the replacement in the attached link and stated it would feature in his next video.

Have I missed something or is it my poor eye sight, but 60501 seems to have lost its whistle down  the crack that has opened up between the firebox and the cab?

Ray

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I don't know what points I was trying to score.  I like both models.  Your reference to other major issues with ''  There’s an awful lot most of us can wish for other than this at this moment in time other than moments of self indulgence.Please consider "

I'll let others make their mind up on your quite offensive implication ....   Self indulgence?  Where?

• Friendly/supportive 7

7 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Ah that there were the case.Refer posts back to derogatory remarks re: Bachmann’s A2/1as a comparison. Sorry I don’t buy into this. 

Your perfect right, after your assessment of Hornby's A2/2.  I was pointing out relative qualities, the Bachmann A2 (not A2/3) is by no means perfect, neither is the Hornby nearest equivalent, albeit the Bachmann tooling is ten years older.

I shall now return to enjoying my new engines, thankyou. 

Edited by robmcg
typos, addition.
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Correction A2/3   60525 -60539 AH Peppercorn 

Hi Ian

sorry but wrong again, A2/3’s were also Thompson’s designs.

When you mention an A2/1 as a comparison a few posts back  I think I can answer that I sent Robbie a photo of an A2/1 I have which is a PDK Kit built locomotive a few days ago and he posted it with a photo of Hornby’s up and coming A2/3 just to compare the difference between the two classes 

Regards

David

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Ian

sorry but wrong again, A2/3’s were also Thompson’s designs.

When you mention an A2/1 as a comparison a few posts back  I think I can answer that I sent Robbie a photo of an A2/1 I have which is a PDK Kit built locomotive a few days ago and he posted it with a photo of Hornby’s up and coming A2/3 just to compare the difference between the two classes 

Regards

David

Opening now at my IanAllan 1954 ABC you are quite correct. Peppercorn new build A2.
pepper

1 minute ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Opening now at my IanAllan 1954 ABC you are quite correct. Peppercorn new build A2.
pepper

Hi Ian

A mistake easily made, the A2 classes in general were a minefield, you had Thompson’s A2/1’s and A2/2’s and Peppercorns A2 and each of the three variations were also different to one another in all different ways.

Quite honestly a modellers nightmare 

Regards

David

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Have I missed something or is it my poor eye sight, but 60501 seems to have lost its whistle down  the crack that has opened up between the firebox and the cab?

Ray

This does not bode well for the A2/3.

I'm seriously thinking of cancelling my pre-order with Hornby as Ian quite rightly predicts that both the A2/2 and A2/3 are assembled/produced at the same factory.

25 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Ray

Indeed it has cab droop and no whistle.   I think I dodged a bullet with my version received yesterday as illustrated about a dozen post ago now,   but we may never know what the odds are of getting a good one.  Sam's take on it will be interesting, if he notices. He didn't notice severe cab droop on his Bachmann Peppercorn A2 a while ago, so effusive was he about the metal running plate.  :)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Indeed it has cab droop and no whistle.   I think I dodged a bullet with my version received yesterday as illustrated about a dozen post ago now,   but we may never know what the odds are of getting a good one.  Sam's take on it will be interesting, if he notices. He didn't notice severe cab droop on his Bachmann Peppercorn A2 a while ago, so effusive was he about the metal running plate.  :)

Rob ...a truce is declared..well after so many years it should be.For a half backward cab somersault please look at the examples shown on Hattons website .Best,as always,Ian.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Rob,

Glad you're as happy as I am with my A2/2.

I notice the Peppercorn B A2, like my A2 Blue Peter has a considerably richer green.

The H A2/2 green is close, but pretty weird, and the lining doesn't help.

Glad yours runs like mine - brilliantly!

60505 seems to have problems with the running boards 60501 with its different sanders doesn't have - straight as a die - but horribly flimsy.

I'm working on a H Lord Nelson at the moment - how different that is!!

Colour is pretty good and build is superb.  Pity the motor is pathetic, or it is on mine - always overheating to the point of smelling badly once running at 2/3 power for more than 5 minutes.

Inconsistent build quality should be addressed, and to be honest as far as the company reputation is concerned irrespective of price - it should look right, feel right and go well.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1