Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Eddie the dog said:

I’ve been following this thread and others  with interest for some time now and the apparent livery and quality

issues lead to me cancelling orders for 60501 and the forthcoming A2/3.

I’m sure that I read somewhere that Accurascale were considering this loco until Hornby announced theirs.

With hindsight, it’s a pity this didn’t come to pass.

I wish Hornby no Ill will, and sincerely hope that they are able to turn this particular project around.

Likewise, we have not yet seen an Accurascale locomotive in the flesh, but the quality of their products

already on the market and openness to communicate with forum members is something Hornby could learn

from.

I’m pleased that you have highlighted openness to communicate.For some time now Hornby have used their own sanitised channels as their chosen way .As a paid up H Club member and a regular visitor to their website I have sought in vain for further information on this issue.There appears to be a fear on the part of senior management that to be more clear and open will bring calamity upon them.Time was they did appear on RMWEB.No more.Information such as it is is tightly controlled and via social media or selected third parties or YouTube “influencers”. As we all do,I have the greatest respect for Tony Wright but if he is aware of it why not share it with the rest of us ? Even the most deeply critical and vociferous of us emphatically want Hornby’s continued success.We all eagerly anticipated this model and the above posts and images show the results. It shows more though. Some are determined by their own perseverance and modelling skills to make what seems a sow’s ear into a silk purse.They want it to be a success.So do we all.We know the dumbed down quality of this production.It’s all too obvious from the images of the cab interior . There is a marked drop in standard.

No one on this thread AFAIK has posted with a view of baying for blood. The posts are factual and constructive.We want better than we’ve got for sure .We also need reassurance of a reasonable way forward from Hornby and a determination from them that this is the bottom line in that forthcoming issues will be to Hornby’s usual standards unlike this particular one

I keenly await such. Please treat us with a bit more respect and communicate.We want you to succeed.But not any price.So what are you going to do about it ?

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Keith Turbutt said:

Further to my post on 4th February when I reported top lamp brackets not fitted and loose in the box on both locos. I have just noticed that 60501 is missing the fall plate as well as the grab rail above the RHS front steps although there is evidence of glue around the empty holes. 60505 was OK in both these respects.

I haven't noticed anyone else mentioning a missing fall plate.

These are still not items that would lead me to seek a replacement as my models do not suffer from some of the other problems that have been mentioned. I should be able to source a fall plate if Hornby are unable to supply one and I can deal with the other issues. I still believe these are basically good models.

I've yet to test run these locos but am optimistic of good running as nobody has reported any problems here.

Tony Wright has mentioned that Hornby are aware of QC problems. However I fear it will be too late to rectify any similar problems on the A2/3s as reports suggest these may arrive at the end of this month in which case they will have been shipped several weeks ago. 

In my minds eye I have an image of a factory sweatshop assembling these models where the staff are under great pressure to meet targets. I hope I am wrong.

I mentioned the fall or bash plate wasn't present on 60501, but was in the instructions as a detail to fit.

Others mentioned that as 60501 was an early logo, this was before they were fitted.

Al.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I mentioned the fall or bash plate wasn't present on 60501, but was in the instructions as a detail to fit.

Others mentioned that as 60501 was an early logo, this was before they were fitted.

Al.

Hi Al,

Just to clarify, I was referring to the missing fall plate which is between the cab and tender and attached to the cab. It is a safety feature which stops the crew falling down between the loco and tender. I think your reference was to the bash plate below the front buffer beam to protect the AWS equipment being 'bashed' by the swinging coupling which I understand was not applicable to 60501 as AWS had not been fitted to this loco at the time depicted by the livery.

I attach an example of a fall plate fitted to a Duchess pacific which I hope makes the above explanation clearer. Appologies for any breach of copywrite . I believe all tender locos had fall plates other than most of the standards which had extended, enclosed cabs. These standard locos were found to be draughty by their crews - through lack of a fall plate - and later production had modified conventional cabs - but that's another story and going of topic -sorry!1508500796_Duchessfallplate.jpg.6497635f02857fa84efc3215bf2515b4.jpg 

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I’m pleased that you have highlighted openness to communicate.For some time now Hornby have used their own sanitised channels as their chosen way .As a paid up H Club member and a regular visitor to their website I have sought in vain for further information on this issue.There appears to be a fear on the part of senior management that to be more clear and open will bring calamity upon them.Time was they did appear on RMWEB.No more.Information such as it is is tightly controlled and via social media or selected third parties or YouTube “influencers”. As we all do,I have the greatest respect for Tony Wright but if he is aware of it why not share it with the rest of us ? Even the most deeply critical and vociferous of us emphatically want Hornby’s continued success.We all eagerly anticipated this model and the above posts and images show the results. It shows more though. Some are determined by their own perseverance and modelling skills to make what seems a sow’s ear into a silk purse.They want it to be a success.So do we all.We know the dumbed down quality of this production.It’s all too obvious from the images of the cab interior . There is a marked drop in standard.

No one on this thread AFAIK has posted with a view of baying for blood. The posts are factual and constructive.We want better than we’ve got for sure .We also need reassurance of a reasonable way forward from Hornby and a determination from them that this is the bottom line in that forthcoming issues will be to Hornby’s usual standards unlike this particular one

I keenly await such. Please treat us with a bit more respect and communicate.We want you to succeed.But not any price.So what are you going to do about it ?

Paul Isles: Hornby’s loss is Accurascale’s gain. I had to return my Thane of Fife because of a seemingly unusual assembly error. Were it not for that, and if the production models had the standard of finish shown above on the hand-finished samples, I’d have been well content. I’d have tut-tutted a bit and fixed the lamp iron back on and turned the water scoop round. However, many others have found all sorts of assembly errors. Looking at Sam’s Trains’ replacement, which was supposed to be perfect, the top of the cab front is not attached to the boiler properly and consequently, the bottom of the cab is pushing the footplate down at an angle. We are sending an aircraft carrier out to China, aren’t we? Here’s something for it to attend to. :jester:

I did order another Thane. Nothing to do with Hornby but it seems to have been sent to Heathrow and left the country. It has since been returned to Heathrow and been sent out of the country again. It would have been nice to report that I had a reasonably satisfactory model. :dontknow:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, Keith Turbutt said:

Hi Al,

Just to clarify, I was referring to the missing fall plate which is between the cab and tender and attached to the cab. It is a safety feature which stops the crew falling down between the loco and tender. I think your reference was to the bash plate below the front buffer beam to protect the AWS equipment being 'bashed' by the swinging coupling which I understand was not applicable to 60501 as AWS had not been fitted to this loco at the time depicted by the livery.

I attach an example of a fall plate fitted to a Duchess pacific which I hope makes the above explanation clearer. Appologies for any breach of copywrite . I believe all tender locos had fall plates other than most of the standards which had extended, enclosed cabs. These standard locos were found to be draughty by their crews - through lack of a fall plate - and later production had modified conventional cabs - but that's another story and going of topic -sorry!1508500796_Duchessfallplate.jpg.6497635f02857fa84efc3215bf2515b4.jpg 

My bad - sorry.  Unusual.

Totally correct nomenclature - me rushing through posts whilst hastily searching Thomas episodes for the young'un !

Mine was fine.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
On 20/02/2021 at 11:59, Market65 said:

Good morning, everyone. I’ve been working on my Thane Of Fife, and the following things may be of help, especially with the warped footplates. I’ll illustrate with a few photo’s what I’ve been doing.

Firstly the thing that has fixed the warped footplates on both sides regardless of the sandbox ‘behinds’. As you can see in the photo’, there is a black rectangular projection going up, from footplate level, into a recess into the bottom of the boiler. Mine were not glued, and I’m as sure as I can be they should be glued. On gluing them into that recess the footplate became both level and very firm. It now looks and feels like it should have done from taking the model out of the box.

AA95EF22-40C1-403B-B757-662942246F0A.jpeg.d4758cbd0bbcc18423cad2fb1e938c70.jpeg

The next thing is the reversing rod, which was not glued where it disappears into the bottom of the footplate. It was not glued into place, and did not seem right. I’ve now got it glued, and here’s a photo’ which I hope helps to show that it is no longer just hanging loose in mid air underneath the footplate.

DADB16AA-3482-4753-A5E2-7712758F3932.jpeg.57a9806a6ddf972e109cd82e170311d6.jpeg

Finally, the cab interior. The seats were leaning in to the centre of the cab, and the reversing handle, forgive me if that is not the correct name for it, was leaning, at a grotesque angle outwards to the cabside. So I cut out all three parts, filed them, underneath, and also sanded them. Then I cleaned up the places where they go, and on gluing them back in place, it made a big improvement for the cab. Here’s the photo’ of how the cab interior now is after that work.

45C223B8-9631-4D4C-95C3-D9C27FB81B2C.jpeg.68fbd24b6f5b896398b27aaa37b00954.jpeg

So, I hope you’ll all find what I’ve done, so far, of both use and interest. I’ve got a bottle of BR Brunswick green and some transfers for the lining out. That looks like being the next project for this model.

Best regards,

Rob.

Rob

Thanks for the detail provided so far. It will be great to see just how the paint job and new lining will improve the appearance. Will you be hand painting or airbrushing the BR Brunswick green?

David

10 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Good evening Ian,

Thank you for your kind words.

I know that Hornby is aware of certain quality control issues with the new A2/2, but I'm not Hornby's spokesman. My 'role' with the model(s) ceased at the design stage where I acted as a 'consultant' advising Paul Isles (Hornby's then designer) about both the A2/2s and A2/3s. As part of that advice, I built a model for Hornby to look at (a DJH A2/3). 

QC issues apart, I'm delighted to see such attention to detail in the A2/2s; to the extent that 60505 can only ever be a model of that one, late in its life, with its unique (for the class) Thompson boiler, extended covers behind the sandbox fillers and transposed front numberplate/crossrail. 

Out of interest, I've already altered the identity of my COCK O' THE NORTH, to become EARL MARISHAL (full details in Wright writes).

After slackening off the tender's keeper plate (otherwise the 'brakes were on'), the loco easily hauled full length expresses on my Lttle Bytham. 

Assembly-wise and performance-wise, I have to say my example was/is 'perfect'....................

65042060_HornbyA226050205onlayout.jpg.d28fc2b2ca2ff59c8f03175e14674559.jpg

1124396082_HornbyA226050207onlayout.jpg.50502d87f6a53201cf8edecd7f91bc16.jpg

Heavy weathering awaits.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I'll jump in Tony before the heavy weathering and have rather rudely cleaned your sky and under-bridge distance scene,  will remove if asked.

60502_A2_HornbyA2260502_1abc_r1820.jpg.bc80efa60e3883a3cf59eae27814d08e.jpg

What a superb photo, astonishing depth of field, and an Eastern Region Pacific at speed through Little Bytham, as it should be!  

The colours are great too. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, robmcg said:

I'll jump in Tony before the heavy weathering and have rather rudely cleaned your sky and under-bridge distance scene,  will remove if asked.

60502_A2_HornbyA2260502_1abc_r1820.jpg.bc80efa60e3883a3cf59eae27814d08e.jpg

What a superb photo, astonishing depth of field, and an Eastern Region Pacific at speed through Little Bytham, as it should be!  

The colours are great too. 

Thanks Rob,

No need to remove it. 

Astonishing depth of field? A Nikon micro lens on a powerful Nikon camera.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Ian,

Thank you for your kind words.

I know that Hornby is aware of certain quality control issues with the new A2/2, but I'm not Hornby's spokesman. My 'role' with the model(s) ceased at the design stage where I acted as a 'consultant' advising Paul Isles (Hornby's then designer) about both the A2/2s and A2/3s. As part of that advice, I built a model for Hornby to look at (a DJH A2/3). 

QC issues apart, I'm delighted to see such attention to detail in the A2/2s; to the extent that 60505 can only ever be a model of that one, late in its life, with its unique (for the class) Thompson boiler, extended covers behind the sandbox fillers and transposed front numberplate/crossrail. 

Out of interest, I've already altered the identity of my COCK O' THE NORTH, to become EARL MARISHAL (full details in Wright writes).

After slackening off the tender's keeper plate (otherwise the 'brakes were on'), the loco easily hauled full length expresses on my Lttle Bytham. 

Assembly-wise and performance-wise, I have to say my example was/is 'perfect'....................

65042060_HornbyA226050205onlayout.jpg.d28fc2b2ca2ff59c8f03175e14674559.jpg

1124396082_HornbyA226050207onlayout.jpg.50502d87f6a53201cf8edecd7f91bc16.jpg

Heavy weathering awaits.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony for your prompt and appropriate response. If I gave the impression that I considered you in any way to be a spokesperson for Hornby or have caused you undue embarrassment then you have my unreserved apologies.That was certainly not my intention which was to comment on the absence of a cogent forthcoming response from Hornby to reassure all enthusiasts that the issues concerning build quality would be addressed. You were quoted in an earlier post on this forum which is why I responded as I did. I hope the matter can be resolved as effectively as is possible. I would like to relive the memory of hours at KX and summer Saturdays at York in the early 1960’s .I have little doubt that the model’s basic design is sound in terms of overall shape and face and that it has a near prototypical haulage capacity. It appears that its devil is in its ultimate manufacturing and production .These remain to be resolved in order that the model and its affectionate enthusiasts are given their full justice. And no I do not believe as do many that Thompson’s design can be described as ugly. But that’s a personal choice..

Thank you for posting some interesting and nostalgic images to savour.I shall look again at leisure.

Regards,Ian 

• Like 3

Well here is another pic of the two I received which appear to be faultless like Tony's.

Straight out of the box, no editing.  No comfort for those with bad ones but there are good ones about.  This one was from Kernow, the 60505 weathered one was from TMC  ten day delivery for each to NZ. 

Commiserations to those who received faulty models.

Img_2868a_r1820.jpg.892c8da018f1afd2da0dc2c6e13912af.jpg

and at risk of repetition....

IMG_2876a_r1820.jpg.1390a103af27662f6968b6e1621c0dd9.jpg

Thank you Hornby I for one am well impressed.

Edited by robmcg
added comment and pic
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Thank you Tony for your prompt and appropriate response. If I gave the impression that I considered you in any way to be a spokesperson for Hornby or have caused you undue embarrassment then you have my unreserved apologies.That was certainly not my intention which was to comment on the absence of a cogent forthcoming response from Hornby to reassure all enthusiasts that the issues concerning build quality would be addressed. You were quoted in an earlier post on this forum which is why I responded as I did. I hope the matter can be resolved as effectively as is possible. I would like to relive the memory of hours at KX and summer Saturdays at York in the early 1960’s .I have little doubt that the model’s basic design is sound in terms of overall shape and face and that it has a near prototypical haulage capacity. It appears that its devil is in its ultimate manufacturing and production .These remain to be resolved in order that the model and its affectionate enthusiasts are given their full justice. And no I do not believe as do many that Thompson’s design can be described as ugly. But that’s a personal choice..

Thank you for posting some interesting and nostalgic images to savour.I shall look again at leisure.

Regards,Ian 

Good morning Ian,

There is absolutely no need to apologise to me, for you caused me no embarrassment at all. 

I'm as disappointed as anyone with any QC issues regarding Hornby's A2/2. If put together properly, it's an outstanding model  (and considerably more than a £100.00 less than the complete parts for an equivalent kit). 

Part of the problem arises from the complexity of the components (I think). In order to provide the different cabs to suit 60501 and 60505, they're separate mouldings. Of course, the fit should be perfect, but with just one style of cab the problem might not have arisen.

As for the colour; some seem to like it, others don't. 

I remember being puzzled as a small boy (in the early '50s) when looking at a picture of 2001 COCK O' THE NORTH in my contemporary Eagle Book of Trains, and wondering why it looked nothing like the 60501 seen at York!

I have to say (purely a personal opinion) that Thompson altered (arguably) the most impressive-looking express passenger steam loco into the least-impressive. Years ago (over 45 now!) when I was first building models of Thompson's Pacifics, I had the privilege of talking to several guys who'd fired them (in one case, driven them). These were (now) drivers from Doncaster, York and Leeds depots. None had a good word for them!

Regards,

Tony. 

Kind regards,

Tony. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Interesting “straight from the horse’s mouth” stuff. Latterly the Thompson A2’s were distributed between York,Heaton and of course New England.The last mentioned had a down “Heart of Midlothian “ turn from Peterborough to Newcastle which on a Saturday at York in early September 1960 which I recorded in my now battered LocoLog Book produced the doyen 60500 .The only A2/2 recorded was 60504.Both 34 E.

That was a fascinating period to be witness to. On that same Saturday,the “Flying Scotsman “( Or its Saturday equivalent) produced Finsbury Park’s D206 on the down and A4 60033 34A( ?) on the up.

The following visit in September of 1961 saw the Thompson A2’s still in service at York and Heaton and the dawn of the Deltics on the ECML. Also depressingly on view were lines of withdrawn B16 which had been so active a year previously,particularly on the Scarborough line. Enough nostalgia for now.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Tidying text
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/02/2021 at 02:35, robmcg said:

Back to arcane facts about A2 Pacifics, Yeadons states on p82 of Vol 3 of LNER Pacifics that from July 1957 all six A2/2s changed from emblem to crest and 60501 and 60502 received correct-facing lions, while the others had the BR attempt at tidiness with the lion forward-facing on both sides, and  60504 and 60506 were corrected during repairs and 60503 and 60505 went to their graves with a reversed lion on one side.

I haven't looked at photos of Hornby's 60505.  Yet. :)

edit;  have looked now, 

oh dear, from a recent photo of the actual model...

60505_A2_image5a_crop_r1820.jpg.dda095ea54e0552f7b7c58a04187fd13.jpg

that looks like a rearward-facing lion as it should be.

Is there no end to your errors, Hornby?    :)  Or have Yeadons got it wrong....

Hi Rob

Just wondering if I should order some right facing lions to correct this mistake. Thought I would have a look at Yeadons, and found photographs on pages 17 and 21 for 60505 depicting both sides with forward facing lions. How dare I even contemplate Yeadons got it wrong!

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Interesting “straight from the horse’s mouth” stuff. Latterly the Thompson A2’s were distributed between York,Heaton and of course New England.The last mentioned had a down “Heart of Midlothian “ turn from Peterborough to Newcastle which on a Saturday at York in early September 1960 which I recorded in my now battered LocoLog Book produced the doyen 60500 .The only A2/2 recorded was 60504.Both 34 E.

That was a fascinating period to be witness to. On that same Saturday,the down “Flying Scotsman “( Or its Saturday equivalent) produced Finsbury Park’s D206 on the down and A4 60033 34A( ?) on the up.

The following visit in September of 1961 saw the Thompson A2’s still in service at York and Heaton and the dawn of the Deltics on the ECML. Also depressingly on view were lines of withdrawn B16 which had been so active a year previously,particularly on the Scarborough line. Enough nostalgia for now.

As one born too late to witness BR steam I massively enjoy and appreciate the words of those who were lucky enough to witness it. We need this connection with past reality for any of our modelling endeavors to make any kind of sense.  Please keep the nostalgia flowing :)

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Hi Rob

Just wondering if I should order some right facing lions to correct this mistake. Thought I would have a look at Yeadons, and found photographs on pages 17 and 21 for 60505 depicting both sides with forward facing lions. How dare I even contemplate Yeadons got it wrong!

David

Hard to explain, isn't it, they (Yeadons) got it right but it is wrong, and the model is wrong...  even though it is right.  Phew,

Edited by robmcg
confusion
  • Funny 3

I wonder if anyone can come up with any opinions from drivers and firemen of the 1950s who actually had anything good to say about the Thompson Pacifics?

There is a possibly apocryphal story of a driver from Top Shed whose regular engine was A4 'Walter K Whigham' , the A4 was faulty and he was given a Thompson A2 for his train to Newcastle, but the foreman expected some resistance so offered an A4 for the return.  When the driver reached Newcastle he chose an A2 for the return, saying he liked the engine.... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robmcg said:

Hard to explain, isn't it, they (Yeadons) got it right but it is wrong, and the model is wrong...  even though it is right.  Phew,

The chances of Willie Yeadon getting something like that wrong are vanishingly small- he documented every crest at the scrapyard, with an awfully large amount of other detail besides - which is how we know definitely that NO B17 ever got a correct right side late crest on its tender-- he checked them all off..

Les

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robmcg said:

I wonder if anyone can come up with any opinions from drivers and firemen of the 1950s who actually had anything good to say about the Thompson Pacifics?

There is a possibly apocryphal story of a driver from Top Shed whose regular engine was A4 'Walter K Whigham' , the A4 was faulty and he was given a Thompson A2 for his train to Newcastle, but the foreman expected some resistance so offered an A4 for the return.  When the driver reached Newcastle he chose an A2 for the return, saying he liked the engine.... 

A Gateshead A4 was it...?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good morning, everyone. Well, I’ve been busy repainting Thane Of Fife, and using the Railmatch BR green. Using a brush, with three coats of thinly applied paint, with thinners, and having masked off the lining, I’ve arrived at this stage. I’ve just applied some of the Klear, and I think, all things considered, there’s an improvement overall. I’m being cautious, it’s not perfect, and some carefully applied weathering is yet to be applied. But, ultimately, I think I prefer it to how it came out of the box. The lining, well now the green is darker, and weathering is going to be applied, may well be left. I’m open to suggestions - I have a sheet of transfers available...

So, here’s a quick photo’, later in the week, I’m hoping to weather it then, and after all of that the cab interior will be repainted. The edges of the roof above the cab sides will get repainted into black too before the weathering.

2F622A96-63D3-490C-8FB9-4F49DD446D2C.jpeg.63747f103eafd43219efbc4d107b767c.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

Looks way better not least because the lining now has the same sheen as the other paintwork. Green looks more convincing, darker and richer. You are braver than I could be with a £170 worth of new loco! To guild the lily I'd add a set of Fox plates (works and name). 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good morning, everyone. Well, I’ve been busy repainting Thane Of Fife, and using the Railmatch BR green. Using a brush, with three coats of thinly applied paint, with thinners, and having masked off the lining, I’ve arrived at this stage. I’ve just applied some of the Klear, and I think, all things considered, there’s an improvement overall. I’m being cautious, it’s not perfect, and some carefully applied weathering is yet to be applied. But, ultimately, I think I prefer it to how it came out of the box. The lining, well now the green is darker, and weathering is going to be applied, may well be left. I’m open to suggestions - I have a sheet of transfers available...

So, here’s a quick photo’, later in the week, I’m hoping to weather it then, and after all of that the cab interior will be repainted. The edges of the roof above the cab sides will get repainted into black too before the weathering.

2F622A96-63D3-490C-8FB9-4F49DD446D2C.jpeg.63747f103eafd43219efbc4d107b767c.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

That’s a vastly improved shade 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1