Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)

5 hours ago, No Decorum said:

That’s a red rag, Rob! There’s lots of argument about the maintenance needed by the gear but very little mention of the driver having to oil round before every turn of duty. I dug and dug and eventually found a comment by Toram Beg. “We could hardly believe our eyes when we went underneath and found only a connecting-rod and 6 oiling points to the bogies and driving-wheels.”

Yes I agree the Gresley valve gear had a certain beauty to it! :)

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, robmcg said:

Hornby website is showing R3834 BR A2/3 'Steady Aim' 'in stock' today.

also shows R3831 BR A2/2 'Thane of Fife' as 'low stock'

R3834_Image1.jpg.166a61b54f621c553ad9e00cf01793a7.jpg

Hi Robbie 

The prices shown on Hornby’s website are about £18.00 more than a lot of retailers sell them for.

26 minutes ago, scots region said:

Now that we’re into March, any sign of when the A2/3s might show up? I swear Hornbys supply issues are worse than ever. 

TBF, it's probably the new customs regulations at the ports affecting inbound goods.

As Rob stated in a previous post, Steady Aim is in stock at Hornby, so I would have thought that Sun Castle is not too far behind.

Let's hope these models are more consistent in quality than the A2/2's.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Running superbly - a fantastic locomotive and well presented at Little Bytham.

Al.

On the strength of that demonstration of the model and its capabilities,I would have been  a customer. Such a shame that is been let down by some poor quality issues at the point of delivery. As do most of us,I’m waiting for some brave soul ...in fact several brave souls...to give a clean bill of health to what’s just arrived. I hope H will give these proper scrutiny before letting them loose though COVID-19 restrictions might prevent a more thorough process taking place. In the lap of the gods I think.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, scots region said:

Now that we’re into March, any sign of when the A2/3s might show up? I swear Hornbys supply issues are worse than ever. 

On this I think we must cut them some slack. The world currently has more pressing issues to deal with. Posted as one of H’s most trenchant critic on this thread.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Robbie 

The prices shown on Hornby’s website are about £18.00 more than a lot of retailers sell them for.

Thanks. I am aware of their direct selling at RRP.  To see how the website worked for a purchase I put R3834 in my basket and set up a purchase, but Hornby required UKP50 for postage to NZ so I did not proceed!

I already have R3835 'Sun Castle' on pre-order at Kernow so instead have pre-ordered R3934 'Steady Aim' from TMC with weathering, rather as I did with the A2/2s, in the case of each A2/3 they are UKP171 less VAT  UKP142...  plus shipping (which varies from UKP9 to UKP25). 

I am curious as to how long Hornby list newly-released items as 'in stock' before they appear in shops, equally I wonder if Hornby's definition of 'in stock' means it can be packed and dispatched in 24hrs. 

Either way I am looking forward to the A2/3s  I expect similar paint and hope for good assembly,   did this yesterday slightly edited...

69501_A2_Country_3ab_r1820a.jpg.a4ba354c946edcc078b2d70673631564.jpg

Edited by robmcg
add picture, and add comment
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Thanks. I am aware of their direct selling at RRP.  To see how the website worked for a purchase I put R3834 in my basket and set up a purchase, but Hornby required UKP50 for postage to NZ so I did not proceed!

I already have R3835 'Sun Castle' on pre-order at Kernow so instead have pre-ordered R3934 'Steady Aim' from TMC with weathering, rather as I did with the A2/2s, in the case of each A2/3 they are UKP171 less VAT  UKP142...  plus shipping (which varies from UKP9 to UKP25). 

I am curious as to how long Hornby list newly-released items as 'in stock' before they appear in shops, equally I wonder if Hornby's definition of 'in stock' means it can be packed and dispatched in 24hrs. 

Either way I am looking forward to the A2/3s  I expect similar paint and hope for good assembly,   did this yesterday slightly edited...

£50 for the journey  ? Yes we know “times is ‘ard guv “ but that’s surely unacceptable ?  I sincerely hope you have safe delivery of models sound in wind and limb from your chosen suppliers. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

£50 for the journey  ? Yes we know “times is ‘ard guv “ but that’s surely unacceptable ?  I sincerely hope you have safe delivery of models sound in wind and limb from your chosen suppliers. 

They simply didn't get my sale, at least directly.  Shops in the UK vary in postal charges, and with air freight being at a premium times can vary, but things arrive intact nearly always.  With fragile models it's a lottery nevertheless, most can be repaired if bits fall off.  I don't know why Hornby want to charge 50 quid to send to the antipodes but it certainly isn't a good way to direct sell on the web!

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, robmcg said:

Hi Robbie 

Nice photo, hope you get your A2/3’s safe and sound.

Look forward to seeing photos of them as well.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

For what it's worth for antipodean buyers one UK multiple-brand retailer has a current price for Hornby R3830 60501 CotN at AU 150 or UKP 130   delivered free to NZ or Aus, In stock now, also R3931 ToF slightly higher price. it is AJM  and I have bought off them before several times, excellent packing and service, no connection.

Like many others they do no deposit pre-orders too, but I've noticed some big volume UK retailer want part or full payment on pre-orders nowadays.

Like many I have lost confidence in pre-ordering since delivery is so uncertain.

19 hours ago, robmcg said:

Hornby website is showing R3834 BR A2/3 'Steady Aim' 'in stock' today.

also shows R3831 BR A2/2 'Thane of Fife' as 'low stock'

R3834_Image1.jpg.166a61b54f621c553ad9e00cf01793a7.jpg

Hornby website now shows R3834 A2/3 'Steady Aim' as 'out of stock'.

One wonders what is going on, but as several have mentioned import and export by container is no simple task these days.

hornby_Image1.jpg.2c3783dc89cdd33743995e7c16a2222d.jpg

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, robmcg said:

Hornby website now shows R3834 A2/3 'Steady Aim' as 'out of stock'.

One wonders what is going on, but as several have mentioned import and export by container is no simple task these days.

It's exactly what happened with the A2/2 (and the J36): "in stock" (at Hornby), "out of stock", and then in shops (IIRC) two weeks after "in stock". 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I saw in ealier threads mention of replacing or covering the boiler bands of the A2/2 with new Fox transfers. Has anyone done this as yet. Just wondering if it makes a significant improvement to the appearance (prior to waethering).

Dave

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Yes. However it might be the wiser course of action to withdraw my post to avoid unnecessary complication. This I will now do 

Which confuses the hell out of me who is unable to follow the thread.

If you do delete a post please tidy up other posts that refer to it.

Bernard

4 hours ago, zr2498 said:

I saw in ealier threads mention of replacing or covering the boiler bands of the A2/2 with new Fox transfers. Has anyone done this as yet. Just wondering if it makes a significant improvement to the appearance (prior to waethering).

Dave

Hi 

I think that was me, boiler bands replaced 

Tender and cab side linings still to be done.

not a brilliant photo as taken on my IPhone 

Regards

David

D2F98F58-66EB-421F-AD2C-A001066A23EC.jpeg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Information
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi 

I think that was me, boiler bands replaced 

Tender and cab side linings still to be done.

not a brilliant photo as taken on my IPhone 

Regards

David

D2F98F58-66EB-421F-AD2C-A001066A23EC.jpeg

David

Looking a much better colour. Such a contrast with the original that the cab and tender will need to be done as well as you say. With some weathering to tone down the bright orange should be great. I'm thinking of going the whole way and reversing the totem as well (so that is wrong but right!)

Thanks

Dave

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

David

Looking a much better colour. Such a contrast with the original that the cab and tender will need to be done as well as you say. With some weathering to tone down the bright orange should be great. I'm thinking of going the whole way and reversing the totem as well (so that is wrong but right!)

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave

I have already done work on the existing green livery to darken it so what you see is not just as a result of new orange linings and boiler bands.

I also changed the tender totem as well,  plus fitted a rimmed double chimney and AWS Bang plate.

The only part of the

locomotive that is not late fifties is the smokebox door, the number plate is to high.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, landscapes said:

The only part of the

locomotive that is not late fifties is the smokebox door, the number plate is to high.

Regards

David

And I think it is also the case that the tender shouldnt have the remnants of the streamlining still present if I am reading comments on the Tony Wright thread correctly. But still a massive improvement on the original Hornby offering, very effectively brought to life :)

• Thanks 1