Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Mark

I just had to make a query on my order with them and I'm told they will be in the shop on Monday. (Hornby that is.)

Brian

Thanks Brian

That is likely to equate to a Tuesday arrival here - their (post-free) delivery is invariably via a 24-hour service (me photographing it will probably take longer...).

Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rembrow said:

I checked my order with Bure Valley and they confirmed they have received the invoice from Hornby for Sun Castle and Steady Aim, with delivery to them expected for Monday. They have items of both available to order. No association, just a very satisfied customer of this jewel of a shop. In different times have regularly driven from south Suffolk to them at Aylsham , Norfolk, to buy items. Sun Castle is my first pre order from them.

...me too, from Hertfordshire (pre-lockdown, of course!)...

Has there been any word on the LNER versions?  I have a pre-order for Chamossaire.  Will it arrive before the Hush Hush or the J27 or will it all arrive at the same time with the NER Railcar?

5 hours ago, rembrow said:

I checked my order with Bure Valley and they confirmed they have received the invoice from Hornby for Sun Castle and Steady Aim, with delivery to them expected for Monday. They have items of both available to order. No association, just a very satisfied customer of this jewel of a shop. In different times have regularly driven from south Suffolk to them at Aylsham , Norfolk, to buy items. Sun Castle is my first pre order from them.

Just had a look at the Bure Valley website. Both BR green A2/3's shown in stock and available for sale at £170.

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Bishdurham said:

Has there been any word on the LNER versions?  I have a pre-order for Chamossaire.  Will it arrive before the Hush Hush or the J27 or will it all arrive at the same time with the NER Railcar?

Phone Orak on Delphi 12345 :jester:

• Funny 1

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Keith,

Chapter and verse?

All the A2/3s eventually received Peppercorn Dia. 118 boilers (built for the A1s); that is carrying the streamlined dome further back than on the Thompson Dia. 117 boilers, which had a round dome on the second ring. Hornby's 60512 is correct for the loco's condition in the early-/mid-'50s, but not for later in its life. 

(60)500 and (60)511 were unique in having their boiler cladding originally in only four sections (60)511 only until its first boiler change). 60500 retained its unique cladding until the early '60s (getting a lipped chimney as well), until it then conformed to be the same as the rest for the last couple of years of its life. 

The following pictures might help...................

104385313_21A2360500Crownline.jpg.8bfbed89c774dd5a628d1dc3ef371906.jpg

1735448519_A2360500.jpg.fcdc9ab94043462bdf17190dd47d8ce7.jpg

60500 in model form as it was in 1957/'58, still with boiler cladding (Dia. 117) in four sections, round dome, rimmed chimney and spoked tender wheels. 

I built this from a Crownline kit, and Ian Rathbone painted it. 

12705153_A236050002.jpg.5cf2539c0cee6b65dde5ad35ebf5d83a.jpg

The real 60500 in the last year of its life; now with standard Dia.118 boiler, cladding in five sections, streamlined dome, lipped chimney and disc tender wheels. 

Now, 60523..................

1802539408_22A2360523DJH.jpg.bd17825ec164dcf8bcbdcd9a94291b20.jpg

This is the DJH kit I built for Hornby to see what a model A2/3 might look like, now painted by Geoff Haynes (I'd forgotten to fit the small steps adjacent to the deflectors). This is (I believe) how Hornby's 60523 will appear, with Dia. 118 boiler. 

The Thompson A2/1s keep on being mentioned. When I was assisting Hornby, the quartet came up, but, even though there is a lot of commonality between the A2/1s and the A2/3s, there are still too many differences to make the project economically viable.

1742091129_60508DUKEOFROTHESAY.jpg.0364aaaa3512412b28b6425fc971d66b.jpg

This is my 45 year old Jamieson hand-cut kit A2/1 (all my own work). At first glance, it looks similar to an A2/3, but the boiler, firebox and cab are not the same. The whole loco is shorter and, though very similar, the smoke deflectors aren't the same either - the horizontal part of the handrails is higher up, as they are on the boiler. 60508 was unique in not having those small footplate steps. 

Though the bogie and chassis (up to the rear driver) from Hornby's A2/3 could be used (and the tender for 60508/9/10), the rest would have to be a completely new set of mouldings. Not viable? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony for the very clear and full description re the boiler differences/changes. Great photos bye the way.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Keith Turbutt said:

Thanks Tony for the very clear and full description re the boiler differences/changes. Great photos bye the way.

Thanks Keith,

One other thing I should have mentioned is that several A1s and A2s latterly received Thompson Dia. 117 boilers, with the further forward, round dome. In the case of the A1s (with the exception of 60153), these had a streamlined cover, though the A2s so fitted had a round cover to their domes. 

Like these...........................

2033811914_Rounddome.jpg.3aabb51dbc170e077ef8e0df7d80858a.jpg

Class A2 60536 fitted with Thompson Dia.117 boiler. 

159655651_60136close-up.jpg.8a4a8a05342398379f92a0d3b7ae5c55.jpg

Class A1 60136 ALCAZAR (DJH/Wright/Rathbone) fitted with Thompson Dia.117 boiler, but with streamlined cover over further forward, round dome. 

Also, A2/3s 60514 and 60519 never received rimmed chimneys (don't believe everything you read in the 'established' works). Alone among the A2/2s, 60506 never received a lipped chimney.

Ah, those joys of loco-picking! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Just had a look at the Bure Valley website. Both BR green A2/3's shown in stock and available for sale at £170.

John.

They are not alone, Kernow have despatched my 60523 'Sun Castle' today and I look forward to seeing it in NZ in 6-12 days... by which time I ought to know if the livery is any way changed.

To keep sanity in these matters I pre-odered a blue Merchant Navy yesterday....  one does require balance in these things you know.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bishdurham said:

When the first rumours of impending arrivals of A2/3s reached me about 2 months ago they were specifically about the BR models and no mention was made of the LNER variants, and we have had the Chinese New Year come and go with presumably some production delays, staff coming and going, re-training, and so on,  so it's anybody's guess when the apple green models might arrive.  Happy to receive all rumours though. :) 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, mattkimster said:

Exciting news! Based on the comments/feedback/solutions posted for the A2/2s on here, I've just taken the decision to jump off the fence and get an order in for 60523 Sun Castle.

I've a half-formed plan that it may eventually become 60517 Ocean Swell, as I believe this was a more frequent Scottish visitor...and I like the name! From a cursory look at pictures I can't see any obvious differences that would prevent this, but I'm by no means an expert so I hope I'm not missing something?

517 had the original boiler with round dome until 1960, so you would need to take account of that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bishdurham said:

Bishduram captures perfectly the position of the hopeless addict in (I suspect) many of us. The industry knows who we are and keeps us interested. Ever noticed how new items often slip from Q4 in one year to Q1 the next, just when the new products are announced. Before delivery of the A2/3 they announce a P2/2 thus ensuring our 'needs list' never gets shorter! I predict the latter will slip into Q1 2022, by which time we will see an announcement of.......K4? V4? B16? J6? who knows?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 06/03/2021 at 11:17, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Keith,

Chapter and verse?

All the A2/3s eventually received Peppercorn Dia. 118 boilers (built for the A1s); that is carrying the streamlined dome further back than on the Thompson Dia. 117 boilers, which had a round dome on the second ring. Hornby's 60512 is correct for the loco's condition in the early-/mid-'50s, but not for later in its life. 

(60)500 and (60)511 were unique in having their boiler cladding originally in only four sections (60)511 only until its first boiler change). 60500 retained its unique cladding until the early '60s (getting a lipped chimney as well), until it then conformed to be the same as the rest for the last couple of years of its life. 

The following pictures might help...................

104385313_21A2360500Crownline.jpg.8bfbed89c774dd5a628d1dc3ef371906.jpg

1735448519_A2360500.jpg.fcdc9ab94043462bdf17190dd47d8ce7.jpg

60500 in model form as it was in 1957/'58, still with boiler cladding (Dia. 117) in four sections, round dome, rimmed chimney and spoked tender wheels. 

I built this from a Crownline kit, and Ian Rathbone painted it. 

12705153_A236050002.jpg.5cf2539c0cee6b65dde5ad35ebf5d83a.jpg

The real 60500 in the last year of its life; now with standard Dia.118 boiler, cladding in five sections, streamlined dome, lipped chimney and disc tender wheels. 

Now, 60523..................

1802539408_22A2360523DJH.jpg.bd17825ec164dcf8bcbdcd9a94291b20.jpg

This is the DJH kit I built for Hornby to see what a model A2/3 might look like, now painted by Geoff Haynes (I'd forgotten to fit the small steps adjacent to the deflectors). This is (I believe) how Hornby's 60523 will appear, with Dia. 118 boiler. 

The Thompson A2/1s keep on being mentioned. When I was assisting Hornby, the quartet came up, but, even though there is a lot of commonality between the A2/1s and the A2/3s, there are still too many differences to make the project economically viable.

1742091129_60508DUKEOFROTHESAY.jpg.0364aaaa3512412b28b6425fc971d66b.jpg

This is my 45 year old Jamieson hand-cut kit A2/1 (all my own work). At first glance, it looks similar to an A2/3, but the boiler, firebox and cab are not the same. The whole loco is shorter and, though very similar, the smoke deflectors aren't the same either - the horizontal part of the handrails is higher up, as they are on the boiler. 60508 was unique in not having those small footplate steps. 

Though the bogie and chassis (up to the rear driver) from Hornby's A2/3 could be used (and the tender for 60508/9/10), the rest would have to be a completely new set of mouldings. Not viable? 

Regards,

Tony. 

If I might expand on Tony's post , whilst all the A2/3's were fitted with the dia.118 boiler at one time or another two , nos. 60511 & 60521 reverted to round dome dia. 117 boilers in 1961 & carried them to withdrawal .

The last dia. 117  boilers were withdrawn in Oct. 1965 with A.1's nos. 60130 & 60131 .

Full dates for the boiler changes are in the green bible R.C.T.S vol.2A .

Cheers ,

Ray .

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Has anyone actually received one of the A2/3's  and if so what is the verdict?

Any better than the A2/2's?

I don't see why it would be. According to posts on here, Hornby are tone deaf on the green, so are unlikely to change that, the most glaring error. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

I don't see why it would be. According to posts on here, Hornby are tone deaf on the green, so are unlikely to change that, the most glaring error. 

I suppose it depends whether or not it was assembled/finished in the same factory, which I suspect to be the case. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

They are shown as in stock with a number of suppliers but no invoice has been sent out as yet even though I have preordered one. Maybe they are all being checked to avoid a wave of returns?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

I had a phone call from my local model shop yesterday to say they had received 60523 Sun Castle.  They are open for click and collect but I wasn't able to go yesterday.  I hope to be able to pick mine up later today.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

36 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

They are shown as in stock with a number of suppliers but no invoice has been sent out as yet even though I have preordered one. Maybe they are all being checked to avoid a wave of returns?

I received a phone call from Bure Valley Models at 5pm yesterday, to take my payment. They advised they had received them yesterday and mine would be sent out today on 48hr tracked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rembrow said:

I received a phone call from Bure Valley Models at 5pm yesterday, to take my payment. They advised they had received them yesterday and mine would be sent out today on 48hr tracked.

Snap, I got a call from BVM at 4.47pm yesterday but was out weeding the garden. Managed to call them back when I got indoors at 5.20pm and, like you, was advised that mine will be sent out today on 48hr tracked.

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

...Sun Castle should be here tomorrow, courtesy of Bure Valley Models...

• Like 1

Just before the Sun rises a couple of images of Thane of Fife that arrived today. 

It only came into stock at my supplier at the end of last week (before going out of stock again).  I am tempted to suggest that it is a later batch than the one I received earlier.  No broken bits in the box and it is almost stuck together properly.

51019587322_55a6a43056_5k.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1