Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)

• RMweb Premium

I thought I had one on order with Hattons, but it turns out I had ordered the wrong R number. Not Hattons fault, all mine.  If any of my RMWeb friends are thinking of cancelling their Hattons pre-order please pm me !

Hattons taken my order as well, looks like the green is still quite poor, though to be fair that was anticipated, fit and quality looks a lot better. I assume the mechanics will be as good.

More worrying though is what looks to be a very aggressive ski-jump on the footplate. 

Edit: Might just be the angle of the photograph. 

Edited by scots region

2 hours ago, Helmdon said:

Anyone had an email from Hattons yet....?

good or bad really - I haven’t

To be scrupulously fair, I’ve just had the email from Hattons saying the pre-order has been processed for Steady Aim 

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, scots region said:

Hattons taken my order as well, looks like the green is still quite poor, though to be fair that was anticipated, fit and quality looks a lot better. I assume the mechanics will be as good.

More worrying though is what looks to be a very aggressive ski-jump on the footplate. 

I'm not seeing a ski jump - do you mean in the last photo? I think its a trick of the lens

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, scots region said:

I had that same thought, post now accordingly edited 

No "ski jump" whatsoever on mine - everything is perfectly straight.  On these locos, the running plate tapers inwards (in plan view) ahead of the smokebox, towards the buffers.

Mechanically, it is a very good runner straight from the box with no running in, or lubrication etc.

IMG_3957.jpg.566a9e9a299444f809f47a23ed9c8b7b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

1 minute ago, 31A said:

No "ski jump" whatsoever on mine - everything is perfectly straight.  On these locos, the running plate tapers inwards (in plan view) ahead of the smokebox, towards the buffers.

Mechanically, it is a very good runner straight from the box with no running in, or lubrication etc.

Grand to hear Steve

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, scots region said:

I had that same thought, post now accordingly edited 

An understandable reaction in the light of us all being anxious about the presentation of this model. But so far so good and the assembly issues that bedevilled the A2/2 appear not to be present .Thanks gentlemen for being brave and acting as guinea pigs . The livery as expected appears unchanged. I note 31A’s comparison with the now over a decade old A3.Thanks for that .It does prove the point I think. But we are where we are and for now perhaps be thankful for the improvement.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Helmdon said:

Anyone had an email from Hattons yet....?

good or bad really - I haven’t

2 hours ago, gordon s said:

Just had a mail from Hatton that my order for Sun Castle is being processed.....

2 hours ago, Helmdon said:

I’m waiting on Steady Aim 

They are on their way too, I've had the email from Merseyside.

Hi 

This is my now completed version of Hornby A2/2 60501 Cock O The North, fairly heavy weathered to disguise the light green livery which was the usual state they were in in their final years.

I have also replaced all boiler bands, Cab-Side and Tender linings plus the cab number as well, all using Fox Transfer products.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3880B.jpg

• Like 16

57 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi 

This is my now completed version of Hornby A2/2 60501 Cock O The North, fairly heavy weathered to disguise the light green livery which was the usual state they were in in their final years.

I have also replaced all boiler bands, Cab-Side and Tender linings plus the cab number as well, all using Fox Transfer products.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3880B.jpg

Simply superb!    

Who would have believed this, a couple of years ago.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 31A said:

Back from the trek across the city to Monk Bar Models to pick up Sun Castle from their 'click and collect'; here's a few quick pictures.  All seems to be intact, and the fit of the parts is good, including in the firebox / cab / running plate area, and the running plate seems to be straight.  I was impressed to see the the extended front lamp irons of the design which allowed for electric lighting, which this loco carried although it wasn't fitted with electric lighting.  There is also a representation of the conduit for the AWS along the driver's side footplate edge, which I added to Thane of Fife using thin wire!

The first photo is taken in daylight with no adjustment, in the spare bedroom alongside 60049 which is a few years old but hasn't been weathered or anything.

IMG_3953.jpg.8febd8ad1b35fc8528ca1554f84c4e2f.jpg

The next ones are taken in electric light on the layout; the first isn't very sharp:

IMG_3954.jpg.6482120ac4671737fe68da5e1ed10600.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg.90aaeca2b1dda49dd4bab840a86835af.jpg

This last one is a close up of the front end and has been lightened to try and bring out some of the detail.

IMG_3956.jpg.1ede8ae0b76f407151d0a621e4fe1f46.jpg

I think I know what to expect now, colour-wise, something not-too-different from Hornby's previous Brunswick greens, a bit flat and pale perhaps.

The lining looks excellent.  I await my two versions, one TMC-weathered, with much pleasure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 31A said:

That picture has the Hornby green looking quite acceptable.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, robmcg said:

That picture has the Hornby green looking quite acceptable.

Doesn't look too bad, does it.  Just taken with my phone camera, under electric light.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 31A said:

Back from the trek across the city to Monk Bar Models to pick up Sun Castle from their 'click and collect'; here's a few quick pictures.  All seems to be intact, and the fit of the parts is good, including in the firebox / cab / running plate area, and the running plate seems to be straight.  I was impressed to see the the extended front lamp irons of the design which allowed for electric lighting, which this loco carried although it wasn't fitted with electric lighting.  There is also a representation of the conduit for the AWS along the driver's side footplate edge, which I added to Thane of Fife using thin wire!

The first photo is taken in daylight with no adjustment, in the spare bedroom alongside 60049 which is a few years old but hasn't been weathered or anything.

IMG_3953.jpg.8febd8ad1b35fc8528ca1554f84c4e2f.jpg

The next ones are taken in electric light on the layout; the first isn't very sharp:

IMG_3954.jpg.6482120ac4671737fe68da5e1ed10600.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg.90aaeca2b1dda49dd4bab840a86835af.jpg

This last one is a close up of the front end and has been lightened to try and bring out some of the detail.

IMG_3956.jpg.1ede8ae0b76f407151d0a621e4fe1f46.jpg

I also called in at Monk Bar Models yesterday to pick up "Sun Castle" & " Steady Aim " . They are both superb models with none of the problems reported on the A.2/2 .However , Monk Bar check all their models before sale & they tell me they have only had one A.2/2 to send back .

One error on " Steady Aim " is that the A,W.S. battery box is present under the cab . Luckily that suits me fine as she will become no. 60514 "Chamossaire " as running in 1959/1960 .

Cheers .

Ray . 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ray Flintoft said:

I also called in at Monk Bar Models yesterday to pick up "Sun Castle" & " Steady Aim " . They are both superb models with none of the problems reported on the A.2/2 .However , Monk Bar check all their models before sale & they tell me they have only had one A.2/2 to send back .

One error on " Steady Aim " is that the A,W.S. battery box is present under the cab . Luckily that suits me fine as she will become no. 60514 "Chamossaire " as running in 1959/1960 .

Cheers .

Ray . 

Will that just require a smoke box number plate change? I've been thinking about that too...

2 minutes ago, davidw said:

Will that just require a smoke box number plate change? I've been thinking about that too...

A little bit more , I'm afraid . The front no. plate requires lowering below the handrail & the top lamp iron lowering to where the number plate was ( I've already  removed the number plate with two careful strokes  of a sharp knife )  Also you need to fit extended backing plates to the sand box fillers . Of course , if you are modelling the mid 1950's then you only need to modify the sand box fillers .

Hope this helps .

Ray .

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Cheers .

Ray . 

Hi Ray

Out of curiosity what is the green livery and linings like on the A2/3's?

Are they a better version of Brunswick Green than the A2/2's.

Regards 

David

13 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Ray

Out of curiosity what is the green livery and linings like on the A2/3's?

Are they a better version of Brunswick Green than the A2/2's.

Regards 

David

The lining & numbers look fine to me , David , but the green is still not right . I'll see what I can do but it may be that I will follow your lead & give them a good weathering before entering traffic .

Your no. 60501 looks exactly as I remember her as a youngster at York . She was so common that I got fed up of seeing her , wish I could now !

Best wishes ,

Ray .

I had a couple of very minor QC issues on Steady Aim (top lamp iron amiss and a slight cock-eyed lubricator but nothing serious. Overall very happy so far with mine although it'll be some time before they see any kind of action.

Davy.