Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)

• RMweb Premium

I’ve been working on my Steady Aim and it’s now fully run in. I’ve tried some Klear (actually the modern equivalent ‘Pledge Klear multi surface’) on the tender and I think it improves the colour although it’s still not perfect.

A59E5E96-4317-4031-A9B6-84BEF6197E64.jpeg.8e3fc819e1ab8468cce3579f41d8840e.jpeg

I’d be interested in other views on the colour.

I’ve managed to pull the front hook out without mishap. An Acurascale one will be going in shortly. Please excuse the staple in place of the front top lamp iron. It will be painted black shortly. All three of my Thompson Pacifics have been missing this lamp iron. Clearly a design weakness!

Andy

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I’ve been working on my Steady Aim and it’s now fully run in. I’ve tried some Klear (actually the modern equivalent ‘Pledge Klear multi surface’) on the tender and I think it improves the colour although it’s still not perfect.

A59E5E96-4317-4031-A9B6-84BEF6197E64.jpeg.8e3fc819e1ab8468cce3579f41d8840e.jpeg

I’ve managed to pull the front hook out without mishap. An Acurascale one will be going in shortly. Please excuse the staple in place of the front top lamp iron. It will be painted black shortly. All three of my Thompson Pacifics have been missing this lamp iron. Clearly a design weakness!

Andy

I think the use of Klear makes a vast improvement. On my TOF I've put fox transfers boiler only. Which will be then dulled down with Tamiya weathering powders and apply the klear. When the weather is better, it will be out with the airbrush and more powders .

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

That certainly looks better Andy, I think it will look even better if you're planning to do some weathering of the green bits?

Funnily enough I was looking at that B17 "Thorpe Hall" the other day as I also have one which I have not got around to weathering or anything, and thought that and the "Footballer" (since renumbered!) that came out at the same time were the best renditions of BR green on any Hornby locos that I've bought.  They have just the right amount of sheen, so they don't look as 'flat' as others that I've bought, before or since.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is a spare tender top from Hornby's old White Knight.

I was experimenting with it  for 60501 IMG_0724.jpg.48f2b35cead5c73780e4f119a465e026.jpgto see if  I had an LNER New Type High sided tender with curved in side sheets, and also to avoid the curved fairing on the R3830 model.

It isn't sat down correctly yet as the rear fixing pillar heights are different.  I am hoping that is the only obstacle. I can see that the shade of green and the lining are different, but so far looks promising to me.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, 31A said:

That certainly looks better Andy, I think it will look even better if you're planning to do some weathering of the green bits?

Funnily enough I was looking at that B17 "Thorpe Hall" the other day as I also have one which I have not got around to weathering or anything, and thought that and the "Footballer" (since renumbered!) that came out at the same time were the best renditions of BR green on any Hornby locos that I've bought.  They have just the right amount of sheen, so they don't look as 'flat' as others that I've bought, before or since.

Thanks Steve,

Yes I will weather it eventually, but I do that outdoors so it will have to wait for warmer weather. I think I might add some Brunswick green to the roof dirt I normally use to see if that helps. 

I was a bit disappointed by the (lack of) nameplates on Steady Aim. The name is just printed on which seems poor for a £190 loco especially considering the other detail. I was quite happy with the choice of loco but if I’m going to buy nameplates I may as well make it different from the crowd. I need a York A2 to haul the 1410 KX- York/Hull, so that gives me a choice of Straight Deal or Herringbone. Is there any reason why I can’t renumber 60512 to one of those two. I see Herringbone got a D.118 boiler in 1956 but up to then they see to be pretty similar.

Andy

• Like 1

Sun Castle has now become Straight Deal. As she depicts 1963-4 she has received a lowered top iron and split handrails on the smokebox.

There is still work to do but I'm quite satisfied so far.

Davy.

IMG20210313222235.jpg

IMG20210313222255.jpg

IMG20210313222423.jpg

Edited by Mad McCann
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

3 hours ago, Mad McCann said:

Sun Castle has now become Straight Deal. As she depicts 1963-4 she has received a lowered top iron and split handrails on the smokebox.

There is still work to do but I'm quite satisfied so far.

Davy.

IMG20210313222235.jpg

IMG20210313222255.jpg

IMG20210313222423.jpg

Hi Davy,

Lovely stuff, I took the liberty of cropping two of the pics and running them through Picasa viewer, with a bit more detail and colour on 'auto'...

Certainly has a 'last of the era' look about it.

60522_A2_image4.jpg.990fbb19e532b5ae216fdcd44943603a.jpg

60512_A2_Image1b.jpg.6795d3278d85e7e349edfe2ebfdb56ee.jpg

cheers, p.s. I can't wait to see how my TMC-weathered 60512 turns out and I'll be well-pleased if it's even half as good as your 60522.

Then being rude and 'orrible I darkened it a tad....

60522_A2_image4ab.jpg.d7856063430e5e2f921d523213ea4a84.jpg

i like the Hornby ashpan lever, and look forward to future bits like black on tender tops and cab roof edge etc.  I personally don't mind the green either. At all. Brilliant work.

last one...

60522_A2_image5ab.jpg.bd06ae9490c6d67a6763d37c855d2a7a.jpg

Edited by robmcg
added comment and pics
  • Like 7

Thanks Rob. I really could use a proper photo backdrop for my models but your tweaks have brought the model out well. I'm off to do some final finishing on it now before I get started on Honeyway.

Davy.

• Like 1

You've done a great job there, Mad McCann.  I reckon the front of NE locos look better with a lower number plate.

Hornby have got a lot of detail on there, especially the inspection door for the inside cylinder (think that's what it is) plus the unusual lower lamp irons. 

The snap head riveted tender looks very good on the A2/3.

• Like 1

Just got my T-o[F back from Grimy Times, having received a middle of the range weathering finish. I wanted to be able to see signs of the Brunswick Green finish under the grime. I think that Steve at GT has acheived this brilliantly. It looks even better in real life. I prepared the loco prior to weathering by applying two coats of Johnsons Kleer to liven up and darken the original Hornby green finish. 

IMG_20210313_144508.jpg

IMG_20210313_144649.jpg

IMG_20210313_144755.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

This tender swap now gives 60501 a "New Type" tender like several Gresley A1s and A3s had, with turned in side sheets to match the cab and no fairing behind the front plate, and beading.  Hornby's version already had the beading but not the other two features. I don't think the colour and lining match of the replacement tender is too bad.  It also has spoked wheels which I think are correct for 60501. I am not sure about the height of the front plate, but overall I think more correct than the tender in R3830.

Instead of shortening the rear mounting post to mate this earlier tender top to R3830's chassis, I thought I would try a tender chassis from a recent Hornby Gresley Pacific with a plug socket. Sure enough it fits the plug from 60501 with the same wiring convention. 

If swapping things suggest keeping the original Hornby screws with what they threaded into, rather than what they hold in place, as the pitch is different between old and new, for both the tender to chassis attachment and also the draw bar. Best to put the screws back in their holes to avoid mismatching them.

IMG_0725.jpg

Edited by Dominion
Format
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I thought some people on here might be interested in this short video (49 seconds) showing my 60512 hauling 62 wagons on my Gresley Jn layout. This is my representation of the 2115 KX-Leeds Class D. It managed fine on the straights with some slipping on the corners and a slightly uphill stretch. Pretty good for an unweighted loco? Apologies to those who’ve already seen this on my Gresley Jn thread.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Can anyone comment on the boiler mould line  on the A2/3 as I think this was briefly mentioned by Ray of Silver sidelines?

Reason - I've just been offered Sun Castle  at a very reasonable price.

If you mean the line running along the top of the boiler, I believe this is a deliberate feature rather than a mould line, as LNER Pacifics had a joint in the boiler cladding plates at this point.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Can anyone comment on the boiler mould line  on the A2/3 as I think this was briefly mentioned by Ray of Silver sidelines?

Reason - I've just been offered Sun Castle  at a very reasonable price.

On my 2 A2/2s one has a nice and subtle line along the top of the boiler, barely visible. The other has been badly assembled and the seam along the top does not look good. Hope you get a good one. Tom

• Thanks 2

On 13/03/2021 at 16:01, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks Steve,

Yes I will weather it eventually, but I do that outdoors so it will have to wait for warmer weather. I think I might add some Brunswick green to the roof dirt I normally use to see if that helps. 

I was a bit disappointed by the (lack of) nameplates on Steady Aim. The name is just printed on which seems poor for a £190 loco especially considering the other detail. I was quite happy with the choice of loco but if I’m going to buy nameplates I may as well make it different from the crowd. I need a York A2 to haul the 1410 KX- York/Hull, so that gives me a choice of Straight Deal or Herringbone. Is there any reason why I can’t renumber 60512 to one of those two. I see Herringbone got a D.118 boiler in 1956 but up to then they see to be pretty similar.

Andy

As you say , Andy , "Herringbone" received a dia. 118 boiler in 7/1956 , although it reverted to a dia. 117 in 7/1958  up until its final overhaul in 11/1962 . "Straight Deal " received a dia. 118 boiler  3/1958 until withdrawal . The choice is yours ! Love the video as it shows an A.2/3 doing what it was designed for , heavy mixed traffic work .

Ray . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/03/2021 at 18:31, Dominion said:

Thanks Ray, very interesting. What radius is it working for you at ? Tom

Sorry , Tom , but I've no idea  . My layout is an engine shed layout & has two or three sharp curves where I just bent the flexi track to fit the available space .

Ray .

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Dominion said:

I've just been offered Sun Castle  at a very reasonable price.

My Thane of Fife is waiting for a new body. Messy glue to the front windows, two lengths of the boiler top misaligned and black plastic showing. Could cover the boiler top by weathering though it would need a slight rub to sit level. Also a couple of chips on the chassis, again weathering will fix. Windows would be impossible to fix well. My Sun Castle overall much better but again a short(er) black line but i'll fix that. Both run beautifully using Lenz basic decoders.

They pull eight Golden Age brass Gresleys without slipping.

Syd

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, juke said:

My Thane of Fife is waiting for a new body. Messy glue to the front windows, two lengths of the boiler top misaligned and black plastic showing. Could cover the boiler top by weathering though it would need a slight rub to sit level. Also a couple of chips on the chassis, again weathering will fix. Windows would be impossible to fix well. My Sun Castle overall much better but again a short(er) black line but i'll fix that. Both run beautifully using Lenz basic decoders.

They pull eight Golden Age brass Gresleys without slipping.

Syd

Syd

Are you saying they can pull (have better traction) than GAMs own locos. If you recall I had to do those wheel bearing modifications to the GAM coaches as too much drag. So really impressed with the A2/2 and A2/3!

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Dave, I don't have a Golden Age loco. I reported at one stage that I had cured my GA coaches of their derailing habit. Turned out I had only reduced it. What I finally discovered was that the couplings were so poor that they were twisting and catching on the side of the aperture they pass through in the body. Final cure, drastic, was to cut a piece out of the chassis cross section and mount a special narrow  Kadee box  and each coach has a short and medium coupling. These are a good looking spacing and a may try two short couplings next.

This is off topic but I'll just add that the eight coaches can be propelled  at a good rate with no problem. Never thought I would see that with this set!

Tony Wright has A GA Gresly loco, he would answer your query about its haulage power I'm sure.

Strangely I never had any problem with friction and I might next even put the bogie springs back on. Need to find corridor connectors now as the GA couplings had pulled must of these off.

Syd

• Informative/Useful 1

On 15/03/2021 at 17:45, Edward Thompson said:

Had an email from Hattons, apparently my Steady Aim is in the second batch so I won’t be getting it just yet ☹️☹️☹️

I’ve had an email from Hatton telling me they can no longer fulfil my order for Sun Castle as they won’t be getting any more. 

Fortunately and thanks to a couple of people on here, I got the very last one in stock at Kernow Models. Thanks for the suggestion, gents.

what worries me is that I have four other locos of various classes on order with H, so am I going to suffer the same problem?   Think I need to order duplicates from other sources.

Edited by D9001

I feel very lucky to have received a 60523 'Sun Castle' yesterday from Kernow,  and am very pleased, it was a bit nerve-wracking opening the box, it rattled, but it was just the rear coupling fallen out...  also the front body-retaing screw had come out but was still lurking in the model's chassis....

this pic is as received, it runs smoothly and quietly.

Img_2978abcd_r2020.jpg.21d7cce63b44d3ae150dcd3b5fb48fc0.jpg

The most difficult part so far getting all four pairs of wheels on the tender on the track for photos. This photo is natural window light with a touch of 40w reading lamp, auto settings for colour and exposure.

Well pleased, and a weathered version of 60512 has just left TMC today... :)

Further pics....

60523_A2_portrait42_1a_IMG_2974ab_r2080.jpg.02ae70f1f9d7fa0c7562058ee7bbd955.jpg

60523_A2_portrait15_1a_IMG_2932abcde_r2080.jpg.94ffc0f7c70eca91adce85aa4531f633.jpg

Edited by robmcg
added comment and pics
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, robmcg said:

I feel very lucky to have received a 60523 'Sun Castle' yesterday from Kernow,  and am very pleased, it was a bit nerve-wracking opening the box, it rattled, but it was just the rear coupling fallen out...  also the front body-retaing screw had come out but was still lurking in the model's chassis....

this pic is as received, it runs smoothly and quietly.

Img_2978abcd_r2020.jpg.21d7cce63b44d3ae150dcd3b5fb48fc0.jpg

In this view it actually looks quite handsome. And then you see it side on and that’s when you see how long and ungainly it looks. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1