Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)

1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

I always thought that rationing ended in 1954 .. 

... and I have never eaten tripe since that day!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

I couldn't resist posting this comparison picture (Hornby Steady Aim and Bachmann Blue Peter).  It was indoors under articficial light using flash but you should get the idea.  Quite different shades of green (and orange or red).

Cheers Ray

51077889458_9afa1d5803_5k.jpg

I agree about the shade of green, although as discussed it is quite easy to improve.

On this photo, I think I prefer the Hornby lining. The Bachmann version is far too bright. Although again it’s easy enough to tone it down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I agree about the Bachmann lining and in fact Silver Sidelines' photo looks more glossy to me on the Bachmann model than any of the many I own. That might be the lighting however.

Here is another of TMC value-weathered 60512 'Steady Aim' in ordinary room lighting. Minor assembly faults might be detected.  I closed the engine-tender gap a tad with editing.

I remain staunchly of the view that this is simply brilliant RTR engineering for the price ,   let down in some cases by poor assembly,  But not I hasten to add in any of the four I have bought.

60512_A2_portrait42_1a_Img_3048abcdefg_r2080.jpg.d68a745f3a4e2cfd57153268dcf3dce6.jpg

This quality and fragility has been apparent on many recent Hornby steam loco models, ever since about 2006 ? with the Standard 4MT 4-6-0s and is unsurpassed even today with production and cost issues remaining problematic, detail and quality is higher than ever if you look at the J36 or Merchant Navy or Princess models.  Roll on the 9F ! Few on this thread give credit for the outstanding wheels, motion, small production run differences, and the myriad skills required to brings these amazing models to market.

hurrumph  :) 

Edited by robmcg
correction
  • Like 5
  • Agree 4

6 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I agree about the shade of green, although as discussed it is quite easy to improve.

On this photo, I think I prefer the Hornby lining. The Bachmann version is far too bright. Although again it’s easy enough to tone it down.

Definitely prefer Hornby lining. Bachmann needs to be toned down. Reminds me of a bumblebee.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Sound on the way - Locoman sounds website

image.png.d28d319884bdd9ff0fa87d4d6ba6b17a.png

And Mike Wild will probably be doing the install with no doubt upgraded speakers in the June issue of Hornby magazine

Posted on Locoman sounds RMWeb page

image.png.d76c008760a16ab9f4797e9bd50ae872.png

57 minutes ago, Dominion said:

Very nice Tim. I agree the mechanicals seem very well designed. How did you achieve the joggle in the steam ejector pipe ?  Tom

Ooh, I forgot to mention that....  So, I warmed up the pipe under a halogen desk lamp and very carefully shaped it from there.  Not knowing how brittle it would otherwise be, I didn't want to be too brutal.  Either way, it worked out well, I think.  Its quite a subtle joggle anyway, so it doesn't need much!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/03/2021 at 12:17, zr2498 said:

Sound on the way - Locoman sounds website

image.png.d28d319884bdd9ff0fa87d4d6ba6b17a.png

And Mike Wild will probably be doing the install with no doubt upgraded speakers in the June issue of Hornby magazine

Posted on Locoman sounds RMWeb page

While bespoke sounds are to welcomed when there is a loco to record them off, I’m not sure how this would differ from an A2 sound file, or an A1 for that matter if the chuff rate is correctly set.

I’ve fitted a Youchoos A2 project to mine and think it sounds pretty good - I particularly like their active drive system as it allows me to really drive the loco.

Here’s a short video of my sound fitted Hornby Steady Aim (renamed as Straight Deal) running on my layout.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

This may be something that others have already mentioned, and it isn't something that particularly bothers me, as the Thompson A2 locos and the era are not really my "thing" and I already have a couple of models (all I need) from other sources, but I've been looking at the steps on the forward-facing curved faces of the running plate near the front of these Hornby models. They appear to mostly be "nose up". I do not get the impression that the real things were like that.

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

This photo of an eBay advert...it does tend to show the ski jump effect some models appear to have as reported by some here..it could be the angle of the camera and of course front steps yet to be fitted

34383413-A141-4FB3-95FC-6781EE9D4704.jpeg

I'm thinking of just the small steps themselves, as seen alongside the smoke deflector in the above picture, rather than the running plate itself. In that picture they actually look level, but plenty of others do not.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gr.king said:

I'm thinking of just the small steps themselves, as seen alongside the smoke deflector in the above picture, rather than the running plate itself. In that picture they actually look level, but plenty of others do not.

Hadn't noticed but yes. On my T of F one of the steps is pointing West North West and the other is mounted too high up the ski slope.

Not an easy modification?

26 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Hadn't noticed but yes. On my T of F one of the steps is pointing West North West and the other is mounted too high up the ski slope.

Not an easy modification?

The Hornby A2s may well be cleverly designed but perhaps not very practical to assemble with so many delicate and tiny parts.  I have had chance to inspect five different model including the one that I returned.  As well as the more obvious issues, the top seam along the boiler, the cab not attached to boiler correctly and missing lamp irons, there are numerous other examples of sand boxes and lubricators sitting too high above the footplate or attached at a jaunty angle (I shall have to go and check my front steps).  I am well impressed with the running quality of the mechanisms but in my opinion some of the body shells are not much better than a poorly made Airfix kit - and painted the wrong colour.  Perhaps my wife is correct when she refers to them as expensive plastic toys.

Cheers  Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, gr.king said:

Straight on my 60505:

IMG_3938.jpg.c081699a6880b8cfaa1d8902d61272b6.jpg

On 60523, yes possibly slightly inclined:

IMG_4024.jpg.07d46e356478746541c07d6f281a7c04.jpg

I have to say, I am very impressed with these models and would happily buy some more if further names & numbers are released in future.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

They are great models. It would take a small step up in the QC to make a significant improvement re the build. The colour is another matter.

As one can go to the DIY store and get a colour match how can this be so wrong. Perhaps no one has defined what exactly is the correct specification. How about a OO gauge model railways colour chart!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, gr.king said:

I deliberately broke one of mine off with tweezers and reattached it successfully.  There appears to be a slight groove in the running plate moulding. The rear edge of the step moulding is vertical, so if it misses the groove the step points skywards.  

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 46256 said:

This photo of an eBay advert...it does tend to show the ski jump effect some models appear to have as reported by some here..it could be the angle of the camera and of course front steps yet to be fitted

34383413-A141-4FB3-95FC-6781EE9D4704.jpeg

Doesn’t the buffer angle inwards on each side? That could just be photo distortion. Anyone got a birds eye view of the front?

15 hours ago, gr.king said:

This may be something that others have already mentioned, and it isn't something that particularly bothers me, as the Thompson A2 locos and the era are not really my "thing" and I already have a couple of models (all I need) from other sources, but I've been looking at the steps on the forward-facing curved faces of the running plate near the front of these Hornby models. They appear to mostly be "nose up". I do not get the impression that the real things were like that.

14 hours ago, gr.king said:

12 hours ago, robmcg said:

I think the ski jump is an illusion, from the four I have, caused by the inwards turn of the running plate and lens distortion in some photos.

Looks straight to me.

As some contributors still seem to think I alleged something that I most definitely did not allege, can I just re-emphasize that when I posted my initial remarks, which I later also clarified, I was NOT talking about any alleged "ski-jump" shape of the running plate. I was ONLY remarking on the angle of the SMALL STEPS that are fitted to the curved front face of the front portion of the running plate.

• Friendly/supportive 2

This may have been covered already but I am wondering if my models are missing some sand pipes or perhaps Hornby never got round to fitting them.  The two A2/2 models have two sand boxes per side and two sets of metal sandpipes attached to the bottom plate.  The two A2/3s have three sand boxes per side and the box picture shows three sets of sand pipes.  However both my A2/3 models only have two sets of metal pipes.  The same bottom plate is used for both the A2/2 and A2/3 models with fixing positions for three sets of sand pipes.  None of my models, A2/2 or A2/3 have the third set of metal sand pipes.  I emailed Hornby to ask if my model had a part missing and I was belatedly redirected to a 'technical' email address.  I have still to receive a reply.  Should my A2/3 models have a a third set of sand pipes?  Has anybody out there received a model with three sets of sandpipes?

51093791919_62c0d87aeb_5k.jpg

Three sand Boxes

51093807167_60a63593fe_5k.jpg

Spot the space for the missing sand pipes at the left

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Silver Sidelines said:

This may have been covered already but I am wondering if my models are missing some sand pipes or perhaps Hornby never got round to fitting them.  The two A2/2 models have two sand boxes per side and two sets of metal sandpipes attached to the bottom plate.  The two A2/3s have three sand boxes per side and the box picture shows three sets of sand pipes.  However both my A2/3 models only have two sets of metal pipes.  The same bottom plate is used for both the A2/2 and A2/3 models with fixing positions for three sets of sand pipes.  None of my models, A2/2 or A2/3 have the third set of metal sand pipes.  I emailed Hornby to ask if my model had a part missing and I was belatedly redirected to a 'technical' email address.  I have still to receive a reply.  Should my A2/3 models have a a third set of sand pipes?  Has anybody out there received a model with three sets of sandpipes?

51093791919_62c0d87aeb_5k.jpg

Three sand Boxes

51093807167_60a63593fe_5k.jpg

Spot the space for the missing sand pipes at the left

I hadn't looked before, but both my A2/2 and A2/3 are the same as yours - both have sand pipes ahead of the leading and middle driving wheels.   This is correct for the A2/2 which had no sanders for reverse running, but in reality the A2/3 also had sanders to the rear of the middle driving wheels for reverse running.  As you say, the fillers for these additional sand boxes are modelled above the running plate and there is a mounting on the keeper plate for the pipes but they are not present on my model.

I may see about making pipes from wire, copying the others; as the moulding for mounting them is there this ought to be possible, but to be honest if you hadn't mentioned it I don't think I'd've noticed!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Silver Sidelines said:

This may have been covered already but I am wondering if my models are missing some sand pipes or perhaps Hornby never got round to fitting them. 

Well spotted. Same here on my A2/2 and A2/3 and as you say it is shown on the box cover. Will be interested to see if Hornby technical get back to you. Perhaps they will send them out?!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I note the speedo cable disconnected in the photos above, but also the valvegear rotation / location / alignment appears incorrect, unless it's just me?

Al.

Yes the picture was taken when I had the body shell removed from the chassis - hence the disconnected speedo.  Not sure what you mean about valve gear and alignment - I have been told that the reversing lever is not 'bent' correctly.  Is that what you mean?

Cheers Ray