Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)

1 minute ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Yes the picture was taken when I had the body shell removed from the chassis - hence the disconnected speedo.  Not sure what you mean about valve gear and alignment - I have been told that the reversing lever is not 'bent' correctly.  Is that what you mean?

Cheers Ray

Hi Chris, but no.

I meant the actual valvegear screwed onto the centre driver.

It's a matter of perspective - always slightly off-centre to permit movement - I think it's just me and it's OK.

Al.

• RMweb Premium

This is my 60501 before I straightened the reversing rod etch, 

and then the after shot.
The lever straightened fairly easily without buckling. I held the straight part on the top and bottom  with wide nose pliers and pushed up the front with my thumb.

It is then reattached with white glue. Looking at the second photo I haven’t tweaked it enough.

72BFD682-C1C6-405C-AA6A-711820311E74.jpeg

D2DFEAEE-2131-4D51-AEA9-B60C67A4DC1A.jpeg

Edited by Dominion
  • Like 5

Sorry Graeme I introduced the ski jump into the equation albeit as stated I have seen previous comments. I have added 60501 to my roster a superb model soon to be joined by one of the A2/3 s ...and a KR models GT3...and Fell ....sorry went off piste again

• Thanks 1

For those with time on their hands for a longer read I have collected together some of my Posts on this thread and posted them on my Blog,  There is also a link to a video showing all four BR Hornby A2s in action on my layout.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/24876-Hornby’s-new-a22-and-a23/

Cheers Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold

Great film made at minus 1 year old me.

A2/3 Edward Thompson at 10mins 25sec. Close up detail - be careful not to make too many comparisons with the model!

Enjoy

• Like 9

15 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

For those with time on their hands for a longer read I have collected together some of my Posts on this thread and posted them on my Blog,  There is also a link to a video showing all four BR Hornby A2s in action on my layout.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/24876-Hornby’s-new-a22-and-a23/

Cheers Ray

That's very good, Ray. Your pics show the very good details on the models as well as potential problems to look out for and how to fix them, so very useful!  Well worth a look. Good video as well, I'm just off to run CoN now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had to deal with a second droopy tender buffer beam. I am happier with the result on this one.

It came off with a  little leverage applied along it from behind. I used a triangle file along the rebate in the underside of the chassis molding, and also elongated the holes downwards like Ray showed above, just twisting a drill bit in my fingers.  On the buffer beam I removed a little material from the top back edge. The back of that painted edge is not visible once reassembled. I then reattached, with solvent this time and held it straight for a while.

Here is the before and after.

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

Edited by Dominion
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Great film made at minus 1 year old me.

A2/3 Edward Thompson at 10mins

Agree, a great film. I'm sure you Know that the BTC made a whole series of 15-20 minute films in the 1950/60/70s, indeed in the 1980's too about our "wonderful railway". All available from the BFI (British Film Institute). I have most of them, they are also, of course, unwitting social history of the times, which is my interest as well as the railway aspect.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have been following this topic with interest as I waited for my Locos to make their way through the tortuous Spanish Postal System (Post Brexit)

The first arrived yesterday and what a difference in colour, the green is like no other loco on the layout.

IMG_3859.JPG.2e247e128643d7ca46d94ff92945b809.JPG

Here is Sun Castle next to my renamed and weathered Velocity, it is going to take quite a bit of work to get it to a similar condition.

The small piece on the card was loose in the bottom of the packaging can someone tell me where it fits on the Loco.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

19 hours ago, Dominion said:

. I used a triangle file along the rebate in the underside of the chassis molding,

Thank you, good idea Dominion., I have now fettled two more tenders (and sorted the reversing lever on Sun Castle). I have added a Postscript to my Blog Post.

51096850639_08dfd70b25_5k.jpg

Cheers Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Beneath the cab perhaps?

51096900007_e52626ee2b_5k.jpg

Good luck Ray

Thanks for that, it's now been refitted, the little plastic lugs were broken off but a spot of superglue solved it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/04/2021 at 13:58, Tim said:

Slightly late to the party here, but for those who haven't seen my posting over on the Peterborough North thread, the three images below may be of interest.

20210330_201851.jpg.ada35ca1b80698c439caf4a3e8c12686.jpg

20210330_201924.jpg.73216c6a4ceb9c79964995432e627b21.jpg

20210330_211943.jpg.2e7d0e19fb2090d97f48eeae3f1ce6a3.jpg

This is 60501, portrayed in the condition it would have been in immediately pre overhaul in October 1958.  Changes to the model as it came from the box have been moving the numberplate to the upper door strap, moving the nameplates upwards a bit (affixing etched ones from 247 Developments on top) and replacing both the chimney and sandbox fillers with those produced by Graeme King.  The rest is unchanged, including the cabside numbers.  

In order to hide the insipid green, a rather grubbier condition has been arrived at than i would have liked to have given it, but that subject has been covered enough in this thread already.  It almost came to pass that a full repaint was on the cards, but the solution shown above was rather more preferred!

As for the base model itself, I am very impressed with the overall design of it and especially way the writing in the locomotive is tidied away, negating anything coming adrift.  The motion is also nicely chunky, unlike previous Hornby models where it's so thin that one almost wonders how it doesn't bend whilst in motion!  Hopefully the next batches won't suffer from livery issues, but I suppose we shall see what happens!

Cheers,

You've got it just right ,Tim . In July 1958 , my family & I ( aged six!) travelled from York to Newcastle behind no . 60501 looking very much like this . My  dad used to note engines we were hauled by in his diary , plus a comment on the journey ; next to 60501 he wrote " good run arrived a few minutes early ".

York was always short of cleaners , so even the pacifics were generally filthy .

Cheers ,

Ray .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, atom3624 said:

It's a superb weathering job - well done.

I just wonder, despite the filth and grime, wouldn't the windows be wiped at least 'here and there'?

Al.

On the video link earlier up the thread the driver can indeed be seen giving the already apparently very clean window a wipe whilst awaiting the signal. Whether that is just ‘for the cameras’ we don’t know. 

• Like 1

Good Afternoon.

Has anybody had/found news of the LNER liveried A2/3s?

I have an 'Edward Thompson' on order and have not received any updates.

Could they be :-

Stuck in the Great Bitter Lake?

Delayed in arrival in European ports by the congestion around the Suez Canal

Diverted around Cape Agulhas?

(Also posted on another thread on this subject)

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, resin001 said:

Hornby took payment from my card yesterday for LNER , Thompson Class A2/3, 4-6-2, 514 'Chamossaire' - Era 3 , so hopefully on its way to me ASAP

Oh dear another blow to the wallet.  There is a rumour that Simon Kohler wanted to 'do' the Thompson A2/2 and A2/3 locos partly because of their names. 

How can you refuse a name like 'Chamossaire'?

There is a photo about of the engine in BR days in immaculate order, and I look forward to seeing how the LNER Apple green will look,  then, to weather or not to weather, given that these engines did some of their best work in the 1940s and in surviving photos were not usually clean ... 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, robmcg said:

Oh dear another blow to the wallet.  There is a rumour that Simon Kohler wanted to 'do' the Thompson A2/2 and A2/3 locos partly because of their names. 

How can you refuse a name like 'Chamossaire'?

There is a photo about of the engine in BR days in immaculate order, and I look forward to seeing how the LNER Apple green will look,  then, to weather or not to weather, given that these engines did some of their best work in the 1940s and in surviving photos were not usually clean ... 

Seems a shame to weather LNER green and its one of the liveries that up to now Hornby have done consistently well. Looking forward to you creating art out of yours in due course :)

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Seems a shame to weather LNER green and its one of the liveries that up to now Hornby have done consistently well. Looking forward to you creating art out of yours in due course :)

Thanks Mike, I'm inclined to agree, and the Hornby advertising shot of LNER A2/3 500 'Edward Thompson' shows a very tidy engine indeed, just prior to naming, at Nottingham Victoria before the run  to London, I think. So there is a precedent for a clean LNER A2. 

I'm pleased to say that I have splashed out on a new camera, about UKP650, a 33MP Canon M6 MkII with 15-45mm lens , and have taken just four photos, three in rather poor light, tungsten room light and  reading lamp, but the results are promising, here is an un-edited pic, apart from auto settings and a crop and re-size.  TMC value weathering of 60512, as it was out of the box.

IMG_0004ab_r2020.jpg.526b5e8320d23ae484a332c5ab8a6661.jpg

The question remains, which of the LNER A2 versions to buy, given their place in steam locomotive history.

• Like 9

My pre-order from Merseyside for 60523 Sun Castle was canceled

Not sure whether more disappointed or relived though, given all the reports of bit falling off, and those photos looking like they can't decide whether they're apple of brunswick green.

Think I'll just stick with my two existing models, at least they don't generally have bits fall off, and are the right shade of green.

60514 Chamossaire, a Millholme kit I built around 30 years ago, ok not exactly the most accurate especially by modern standards, but looks okay when running, a 'layout engine'. And the weight of the castings it's made from it will pull absolutely anything, I had it on a former club layout hauling 50 wagon trains with ease.

60520 Owen Tudor; A very nicely built DJH model i managed to pick up at a reasonable price off e-bay

There's also A2/1 60507 Highland Chieftain I've kit built, Nu-Cast loco with DJH A3 tender.

So, that'll now complete my Thompson pacific collection (A1/1 and A2/2s are barred)

My W1 pre-order however also followed suit this morning

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Ken.W said:

My pre-order from Merseyside for 60523 Sun Castle was canceled

Not sure whether more disappointed or relived though, given all the reports of bit falling off, and those photos looking like they can't decide whether they're apple of brunswick green.

Think I'll just stick with my two existing models, at least they don't generally have bits fall off, and are the right shade of green.

60514 Chamossaire, a Millholme kit I built around 30 years ago, ok not exactly the most accurate especially by modern standards, but looks okay when running, a 'layout engine'. And the weight of the castings it's made from it will pull absolutely anything, I had it on a former club layout hauling 50 wagon trains with ease.

60520 Owen Tudor; A very nicely built DJH model i managed to pick up at a reasonable price off e-bay

There's also A2/1 60507 Highland Chieftain I've kit built, Nu-Cast loco with DJH A3 tender.

So, that'll now complete my Thompson pacific collection (A1/1 and A2/2s are barred)

My W1 pre-order however also followed suit this morning

Like you I have more than enough motive power and stock to sustain my layouts 'needs' several times over. For me the manufacturers have to produce product that is 90% + desirable for me to be interested in the first place and as fault free from the box as can reasonably be expected.

I had something less than 100% interest in the Thompson Pacifics to start with but could have been persuaded but the awful paint finish of the BR examples and the poorly constructed examples that populate this thread have sealed the deal for me and I am not interested until Hornby prove they can up their game.

I said similar on the BR 2MT thread, I'm waiting to see if Hornby can deliver on the promise of the preproduction samples before committing. If they sell out (and I really doubt they will) it isnt a problem for me as I already have 2 sweet running Ivatt 2 MT's from Bachmann.

The ball is in our court  - we need to stop clamoring to get the first release of every new model announced and either return or (better) refuse to purchase substandard models.  The manufacturers need us far more than we need them.......

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2