Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)

5 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

It's just frustrating how Hornby can get one green so 'right', and another so 'wrong'!

ET looks great Rob.

Al.

Additionally, It's not as though they've had no negative feedback, especially in relation to their rendition of BR brunswick Green over the past few years.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, robmcg said:

For those wondering about the LNER livery, here is 500 as received today, nothing broken, nothing fallen off, runs smoothly.   5 out of 5 good A2s now.  But they don't go far on test track. :)

Photo is unedited but for crop and re-size. Lighting from adjacent window and reading lamp.

Img_0051ab_r2080.jpg.32028c5399671257604e52db1397069d.jpg

That's another one with the little foot step "nose up" instead of flat - look adjacent to the lower-front part of the smoke deflector.

• Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, gr.king said:

That's another one with the little foot step "nose up" instead of flat - look adjacent to the lower-front part of the smoke deflector.

All examples that I have seen have been like that.

When combined with buffer droop it looks even worse.

The ex P2s seem to be much better in this respect.

Bernard

On 01/05/2021 at 16:30, Bernard Lamb said:

All examples that I have seen have been like that.

When combined with buffer droop it looks even worse.

The ex P2s seem to be much better in this respect.

Bernard

Mine’s not like that. The step is missing altogether. Blasted Hornby – I didn’t notice until now.

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, sulzer27jd said:

Local supplier with 8 faulty locos out of a batch of 12. Hornby’s quality control seems to be non-existent. Do they have a disaster on their hands with these?

I must be very lucky with 5 from 5  randomly bough all ok, albeit a few minor assembly issues, like that small front step a bit bent.

Here is the other side of the LNER A2/3 'Edward Thompson'.

IMG_0073abcdefg_r2080.jpg.c5b794474c28ee88bc75269a35ba4aa9.jpg

Slightly edited with tone and contrast.  Fully edited version from slightly different angle in 'best ever' thread'. Apologies I have edited this one above a bit, mostly darkening the bright parts.

These models certainly are fragile and I suspect mishandling during packing.  Are the 8 from 12 rejects broken badly?  Irreparable?  Not that a buyer should accept anything faulty.

Edited by robmcg
correction to pic
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, sulzer27jd said:

Valve gear problems, motor/gear issues and shorting electrics apparently. 

Mine all run smoothly straight from the box, but do not get extended running.

Does the local supplier you cite give new engines extended test runs before sale?

My suppliers of A2s are TMC who have weathered two and that requires a degree of wheel turning, and Kernow, who do not normally remove from box , and all good apart from a broken rear coupling and bent steps and tender brake rods.

To be honest, I would not trust some shop employees to have the skill to take one of these A2s out of the box, test run, and replace it, without damaging it. 

Edited by robmcg
addition.
  • Agree 2

Some more pictures of the engine named after that denzion of locomotive design art, Edward Thompson, as modelled by Hornby...

mostly just to test depth of field and generally play with my new camera...   a Canon M6 MkII which stops down to F40.

This first one is a single shot, no stacking, but liberal use of colour and sharpening tools, no details on engine changed.

500_A2_LNER_Portrait12_1abcde_r2080.jpg.eceb4a22c90e190de00aac31d3ef4963.jpg

This below similar but two shots grafted together,

500_A2_LNER_Portrait15_1ab_r2080.jpg.cdf950265d21dfe5f7f64d867e4fe09f.jpg

and finally a single shot with nothing but cropping and resizing.

500_A2_LNER_Portrait18_1a_Img_0048a_r2080.jpg.06d4816bb80078c2106a65c4ddd97bce.jpg

Edit;  Having thought more about Thompson's Pacifics I am of the view that they were potentially a great design, sadly not developed, for various reasons.

After the war the LNER had a lot of Pacifics and V2s, maintenance was better than in 1942-47 and crews had not really taken to Thompson's Pacifics. The steam leaks, frame cracking and poor ride were all in my opinion 'fixable'.

The large firebox and double chimney combined with unpopularity led to high-ish fuel use?

Thompson was no Gresley by character, and wasn't known for tact.

I have no idea why Peppercorn didn't keep the double chimney at first, others may know.

Tactless though rebuilding Great Northern was, it was potentially a good engine, too. 

Just my thoughts for today at least. :)

here is my embellished edited pic of the day...

500_A2_LNER_portrait24_3abcdefg_r2080.jpg.2cf12dca8c93273f00b547807d13a39b.jpg

Edited by robmcg
added comment and pic
  • Like 10

Hornby LNER A2/3 no: 500 "Edward Thompson"

A quick question everyone, regarding the protypes, did these locos only operate on passanger trains?

On the back of the back of the box it shows 8P7F and i'm just unsure.

Callum

16203293691811292526752.jpg

16203295710311207876565.jpg

Edited by Steam here!
Dulpicate post, altered.
  • Informative/Useful 1

Both of my LNER versions Arrived yesterday from Collett Models with mixed views. I almost pre ordered the br geen versions as well, after careful thinking I decided just to order the LNER versions only.

Sadly R3833 no: 514 "Chamossaire" will have to be returned due to the valve gear issues, giving the loco a limp motion and won't go round 2nd radius curves unless it was going really fast.

As for R3832 no: 500 "Edward Thompson" That will be staying, hoping this overview will give others an insight/ an idea of what to expect from the model.

My View On The Loco no: 500

Overall it has a smart and clean appearence, the paintwork is tidy, there's no blemishes, neatly apllied black and white lining all add up.

The builders plate on the cab sides is crisp and clear, the font used on for L N E R on the tender and the 500 on the cab sides is applied neatly and crisp (you can make out the writing).

The red lining applied along the running plate and axel boxes again is very clean and just helps enhance the model.

Sprung buffers at both ends, removable coal load with a blank space beneath it, with real coal added it won't be noticed, there is a gap at the front of the tender to add real coal in the cab area, which is a nice touch.

Overall its a very quiet and smooth engine and looks like a promising loco.

One thing to be careful off, is the flangless wheel, if there's any sudden dips, especially when leaving a straight and entering a 2nd radius curve it may cause the loco to made a nudge, nothing drastic, but just noticeable.

However though there are some drawbacks regarding the model.

•1st off, the cab detail whislt its painted and detail, its not one of the best we've seen, solid gold painted water gauges, plain white gauges with no dial details.

•Looking from above along the top of the boiler you have noticeable seam/joint running from the front of the cab all the way to smokebox.

The smoke delectors are made out of plastic and seem fragile (there's no upper supports).

Coming down to the front bogie, there is no nem pocket, just a solid bar in front. I don't know if there's a suitable Hornby nem pocket bogie available as a replacement for this. Is this way things are heading? Newly tooled locos with the front nem pocket omitted example LNER A2/2 and A2/3.

Looking side ways on the front bogie there is a very minor gap.

The running plate feels very fragile, if you were to pick up the loco (it not as strong as you may think).

•Also it appears there are a pair of sand pipes misding on the rear brake shoes.

Under the cab the flangeless wheel, there's no alternative flanged wheel in the accessory pack, I don't understand why Hornby have done this, I will of course contact Hornby with my concerns.

Accessory pack consits off:

•Loco brake rods

•Drain cocks

•Front loco steps

Pulling Power:

The loco pulled with ease from a hill start at the bottom of a 2% gradient followed by 2nd radius curves, whislt pulling 9 Hornby railroad LNER Gresley coaches and 2 Southern railway GBL luggage vans.

Overall I'm very pleased with this model and will be adding the extra details later.

I hope that has given those who are thinking of ordering one/ who has pre ordered one an idea of what to expect from the model.

Callum

1620328187091752307641.jpg

• Like 2

The A2s all operated passenger trains regularly.

With very high steam raising capacity, 6' 2" drivers, they just about deserved the 8P/7F rating

Cecil J Allen recorded 60502 sustaining an average of over 90mph with a fairly heavy train with a maximum of 95mph for 15 miles north of York on level ground. I forget the exact numbers but that's close.

The engines had poor ride at speed, were prone to frame cracking and steam leak issues and were not universally liked by crews used to Gresley engines, thus they tended to be used on secondary trains and fast freights.  Being relatively few in number compared to A3, A4 and V2s doing the kind of work for which the Thompson Pacifics were designed, they never really had their shortcomings fixed, sadly. 

It makes interesting reading, the Thompson Pacifics, designed during the war with standardised and fabricated parts, when the LNER was very short of power. 

I really like them! :)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Double sandpipes delivered. Thanks Hornby Service. Now I will be able to have 3 sandpipes each side as per the prototype. There should be one each side of the centre driver.

image.png.2ca71459a266740df75ce5858025e8fa.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

PH, thank you for the link for the photo, that's now given me food for thought for what rolling stock I should be using.

Robmcg, thank you so much for the info that's a great help, its given me a more of an insight to the class.

I have seen a photo of one at York in the station from the Hornby collectors club magazine page 31. Showing no: 60524 "Herringboune"

I must atmit, I know very little about the A2/3s and I do like them, I'm glad that they have been made and after the haulage test I put it through, I was impressed apart from the few niggles, it really is a lovely model and do look forward to using her on the future layout.

zr2498, great to see the sand pipes, I must contact Hornby this afternoon, fingers cross I get the same result.

I forgot to ask in my previous post, if anyone is using kadees couplings on the A2/3s and is thinking of putting one on the front, please could you share with us.

Also a futher question regarding the prototypes.

Regarding the Hornby collectors club magazine page 31, theres a photo showing 60513 "Dante"  with a branch line headcode, pulling just two coaches, unfortunately it doesn't give a location.

It seems very unlikely, but were these ever used on branchline services?

Also I noticed a photo earlier on of no: 500 "Edward Thompson" at Nottingham Sheffield Victoria station?

On the front of the loco there are 2 white disks displaying express passenger headcode.

Does anyone know why the LNER used these White disks?

It just seems out of place.

Southern region and southern locos I could understand.

Just some colour comparisons of Hornby's LNER green.

Hornby A2/3 no:b500 "Edward Thompson" (just Released)

Hornby D49 no: 2753 "Cheshire"

(1979-1981 According to Hornby guide.com) sits on the modern Railroad chassis (loco drive).

16203956198331341999707.jpg

16203957379401436720034.jpg

162039580793625755076.jpg

Edited by Steam here!
Missed out some detail.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Steam here! said:

I forgot to ask in my previous post, if anyone is using kadees couplings on the A2/3s and is thinking of putting one on the front, please could you share with us.

Also a futher question regarding the prototypes.

Regarding the Hornby collectors club magazine page 31, theres a photo showing 60513 "Dante"  with a branch line headcode, pulling just two coaches, unfortunately it doesn't give a location.

It seems very unlikely, but were these ever used on branchline services?

Also I noticed a photo earlier on of no: 500 "Edward Thompson" at Nottingham Sheffield Victoria station?

On the front of the loco there are 2 white disks displaying express passenger headcode.

Does anyone know why the LNER used these White disks?

It just seems out of place.

Southern region and southern locos I could understand.

The A.2/3's were RA9 , which limited them to main lines . No. 60513 would be on a main line stopping train , either as a fill in turn or part of a diagram which would include much heavier trains . All the East Coast express classes could occasionally be seen on this sort of work ( yes , even A.4's)

No. 500 , as built , was fitted with electric lighting & Thompson hoped to fit all new engines & use discs , as used on the GE section , for daylight hours , thus eventually getting rid of the archaic oil lamps , however time beat him & this never happened .

Hope this helps ,

Ray .  

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the front NEM pocket, or rather the lack of, all of Hornbys Main Range LNER Pacific’s don’t have a front pocket. They were mainline thoroughbreds that didn’t go in reverse. Makes sense really. If it bothers you, you could always they and find a Railroad Scotsman front bogie. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1