Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)

17 hours ago, Steve-NevilleGrove said:

Hi everyone, I'm a new member of RMWeb but have referred to the expert content for years!

Anyway, I have just completed weathering of 3 Hornby A2/2's and thought I would share some images with you on here.

If you'd like to see them running on the layout and synced with archive sound recorded by Peter Handford, click this link to my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcVfL87Ws2b4Tq0Q68_Ir1A

60505 Thane of Fife (Heavily Weathered):

IMG_4041.JPG.a4624e8550491d27d1480832d6df7e6c.JPG

60501 Cock O' The North (with polished / in use weathering):

IMG_4237.JPG.bb6b666fcc1347e40ae35d04c7121926.JPG

60501 Cock O' The North (with polished / medium weathering):

IMG_4068.JPG.437feaa0b5d082c52561a14a7e335f10.JPG

IMG_4437.JPG.fe41da48a563d7ff5a6e8d1191a10a40.JPG

The green looks very much better on these - well done!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Steve-NevilleGrove said:

Hi everyone, I'm a new member of RMWeb but have referred to the expert content for years!

Anyway, I have just completed weathering of 3 Hornby A2/2's and thought I would share some images with you on here.

If you'd like to see them running on the layout and synced with archive sound recorded by Peter Handford, click this link to my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcVfL87Ws2b4Tq0Q68_Ir1A

60505 Thane of Fife (Heavily Weathered):

IMG_4041.JPG.a4624e8550491d27d1480832d6df7e6c.JPG

60501 Cock O' The North (with polished / in use weathering):

IMG_4237.JPG.bb6b666fcc1347e40ae35d04c7121926.JPG

60501 Cock O' The North (with polished / medium weathering):

IMG_4068.JPG.437feaa0b5d082c52561a14a7e335f10.JPG

IMG_4437.JPG.fe41da48a563d7ff5a6e8d1191a10a40.JPG

Hi

They are superb looking models and weathered to perfection.

Just out of curiosity if you don’t mind me asking why do you have two of A2/2 60501?

I enclose a photo of my own A2/2 60501 which I heavily weathered as I just could not accept that awful green Hornby provided, please excuse the layout as it's been striped down undergoing a  wiring and point motor installation.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_4308.jpg

Edited by landscapes
photo added
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I would never call this an elegant locomotive, as I would an A3 or A4, or Coronation or Princess Royal, but they do look good, in their own way, and your weathering efforts have paid big dividends - making them look very realistic, and certainly during a time when B.R. probably didn't care that much so long as they were operational.

Al.

• Thanks 1

On 15/05/2021 at 13:29, John Tomlinson said:

I've been following this discussion with interest, although until Hornby run a batch of any of these with a better version of BR green I won't be one of their customers.

To be clear from the above, isn't the tender supplied with the Hornby P2 version of "Cock of the North", correct therefore for 60502 in BR days, so low bulkhead, no streamlined fairing. I've attched a picture of one, which I've resprayed into BR fantasy steam blue, which does show the top of the tender quite clearly.

IMG_1210 copyRMweb.jpg

John.

Excellent job on the BR blue loco .

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thane of Fife arrived today, courtesy of Amazon, I have to say I am very impressed.  I know a number of people have found several faults with the earlier version, I presume mine is one of the later batch and looks superb straight out of the box.  Well done Hornby.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I’ve just been running my Amazon acquisition £134.50 , Hornby supporting it’s retailers through selling through Amazon . As I’ve said on another thread it arrived with front buffer beam and reversing rod loose but these have been quickly reassembled .  Other than with these faults I’m extremely happy with it . Very powerful , nice runner . No other obvious assembly faults . I’m getting used to the green . After her running in sessions Fri/Sat now hauling trains .

Its odd I’d never considered a Thompson Pacific for my railway . Having seen them in books on the LNER I’d always thought them ungainly if not downright ugly . However the model is actually quite a handsome loco . Love the smoke deflectors around the chimney . It’s something different , completely unexpected purchase , which I think is why I’m enjoying it so much .

EBA9AA82-75B1-46DE-B83A-1D76E6863B71.jpeg

Edited by Legend
  • Like 11

On 20/05/2021 at 13:34, landscapes said:

Hi

They are superb looking models and weathered to perfection.

Just out of curiosity if you don’t mind me asking why do you have two of A2/2 60501?

I enclose a photo of my own A2/2 60501 which I heavily weathered as I just could not accept that awful green Hornby provided, please excuse the layout as it's been striped down undergoing a  wiring and point motor installation.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_4308.jpg

Hi David, many thanks! All three of these were weathered for 3 separate customers so no duplication when on home territory. Your 60501 looks very very nice indeed, great to see it with the late crest too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steve-NevilleGrove said:

Hi David, many thanks! All three of these were weathered for 3 separate customers so no duplication when on home territory. Your 60501 looks very very nice indeed, great to see it with the late crest too.

Hi Steve,

I'm an avid follower of your locomotive running clips, they are just superb.

I can only aspire to having a layout as good as yours.

Thank you for sharing and well done.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Typo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steve-NevilleGrove said:

Wow . Just been watching your YouTube videos on the A2/2s . Absolutely superb . The models and layout look terrific , but the production in your films is great. Will subscribe to see more

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Mark Hamlin said:

My Steady Aim complete with Fox nameplates, Fox boiler lining transfers and a coat of Testors gloss varnish

50AF9632-7A71-498C-80EC-38C72B0A2A88.jpeg

There is something about a chap from Shakytown having a loco called Steady Aim. It looks the biz. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

There is something about a chap from Shakytown having a loco called Steady Aim. It looks the biz. 

Thanks Olddudders

Gosh I realise I have been on here now over 10 years when we had our earthquakes here in Christchurch, as I thought it quite apt at the time. 

Must mention that the Fox nameplates are narrower than Hornby’s printed version so required some careful work with a cocktail stick and Tcut so it doesn’t show. Also my first time with boiler band decals, it was easier than I thought. Look at the difference 

2C868F10-C640-4684-B388-D75B52F4D2AC.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

18 hours ago, Mark Hamlin said:

My Steady Aim complete with Fox nameplates, Fox boiler lining transfers and a coat of Testors gloss varnish

50AF9632-7A71-498C-80EC-38C72B0A2A88.jpeg

Wow, what a transformation! If there isn’t a job waiting for you at Hornby, there ought to be.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

54 minutes ago, Mark Hamlin said:

Thanks Olddudders

Gosh I realise I have been on here now over 10 years when we had our earthquakes here in Christchurch, as I thought it quite apt at the time. 

Must mention that the Fox nameplates are narrower than Hornby’s printed version so required some careful work with a cocktail stick and Tcut so it doesn’t show. Also my first time with boiler band decals, it was easier than I thought. Look at the difference 

2C868F10-C640-4684-B388-D75B52F4D2AC.jpeg

Hi

Big improvement 

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'd previously had the idle thought that the red in the lining had an adverse effect on the eyeball's perception of the shade of green on  the A2/3 and Mark Hamlin's  image of Steady Aim with boiler bands partially re lined with orange transfers, but before application of varnish, reinforces that impression. Not saying Hornby's shade of green is correct, but the redness of the boiler bands was a worse mistake in my view. Mark's completed varnished version is an impressive transformation. 

In the meantime, can anyone advise me what adhesive they have used to re fit the Speedometer Bracket if they've had the seemingly common misfortune of this parting  from the loco superstructure.  I've tried liquid poly cement and cyano so far , but the blessed thing keeps falling off  while the loco is running on my layout. So far I've been lucky enough to retrieve it from varied locations, but I fear it parting company somewhere I won't find it. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Regards,

John

Edited by Brit70053
Correction
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Brit70053 said:

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Hello John

Perhaps not so much what glue but perhaps where are your trying to glue it.  There should be a pair of rectangular openings underneath the running plate to push the speedo brakcet into.  You need to bear in mind that the bracket straddles the reversing lever and that the 'third leg' is actually the drive and not part of the support mechanism.

When I came to refit my bracket I had to clean Hornby's glue out of the little rectanglular pockets.  I used Wilkinson's super glue to fix it in position.

Good luck

Ray

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your reply Ray, I think I recognise your reference to rectangular openings into which the speedometer  bracket should locate. I get the impression though that too copious an amount of adhesive had been applied during factory assembly and the openings distorted to appear far from rectangular as a result. In fact one opening can barely be made out on mine.

It sounds from what you say that your model had received similar treatment, but you were able to discern what the correct profile of these openings should be before attempting relocation.  I was surprised to read you'd had success with super glue since my own attempt with a similar product proved futile, the plastic the bracket is made of seemed to be of the 'oily' texture which resists bonding by super glues.

Anyway, I stumbled across a long forgotten pack of Araldite Rapid this afternoon and mixed a very small amount which has so far kept the bracket in place. Now I can concentrate on tracing the short circuit which has developed in one circuit of my layout. Don't watch this space on that one.

Thanks again,

John

Ps Short circuit located and resolved.

Edited by Brit70053
addition of sentence (Ps)
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Afternoon all.

I wonder if the community now has a generally agreed position on these two models. As an ECML enthusiast, with currently nothing to show for it but a cupboard full of boxed stock, I had these on my wish list at our well known Liverpool supplier but didn't buy brand new. Since the deliveries began I have had about one email a week offering me a pre-owned version - normally with something wrong/missing.

I feel vindicated in holding off on a brand new model, but I feel I should have 1 or 2 eventually.

What's the general feeling? Is this model a success, and do I just wait until a good example turns up in my inbox, should I avoid it, or should I resign my self to expecting eventually to have to 'work on or update or correct' a brand new version if I see one I like?

I realise this is a can of worms type question but I guess I'm looking for a short 'snog, marry, avoid' type of answer.

Apologies if this bores the pants off you all.

Kind Regards

Al.

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, AHW said:

Afternoon all.

I wonder if the community now has a generally agreed position on these two models. As an ECML enthusiast, with currently nothing to show for it but a cupboard full of boxed stock, I had these on my wish list at our well known Liverpool supplier but didn't buy brand new. Since the deliveries began I have had about one email a week offering me a pre-owned version - normally with something wrong/missing.

I feel vindicated in holding off on a brand new model, but I feel I should have 1 or 2 eventually.

What's the general feeling? Is this model a success, and do I just wait until a good example turns up in my inbox, should I avoid it, or should I resign my self to expecting eventually to have to 'work on or update or correct' a brand new version if I see one I like?

I realise this is a can of worms type question but I guess I'm looking for a short 'snog, marry, avoid' type of answer.

Apologies if this bores the pants off you all.

Kind Regards

Al.

i think if you browse through this thread you should come to your own conclusion . For what it’s worth this loco wasnt on my radar until released . Then I started seeing pictures of A2/2 running on folks railways I actually thought it quite a handsome loco . So when it appeared on Amazon at £134 I bought . I think perhaps because it was an impulse buy I am particularly enjoying it .

As I said , probably best reading through this thread and forming own conclusions .  My one arrived with buffer beam loose and reversing rod off . Relatively easy for me to fix but not everyone so lucky . There seem to be a few build quality issues with this model , so best inspecting it thoroughly on purchase . That said it’s mechanically sound . Mine is a beautiful runner . The shade of green to me is too light but it’s not disimilar to my 1979 Mallard . I suppose it just shows up badly to more recent painted examples  

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1