Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)

I wonder what liveries will be chosen? The A2/2s in particular saw quite a few odd combinations like apple green with LNER numbers but with "BRITISH RAILWAYS" carried on the tender. It seems likely 60505 will be modelled in the condition shown above, green with late crest, but there is a wide range of potential options for 60501.

46 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I know this has been said about GW 4-6-0's as well, but what are the differences between the two classes? 

The defectors  change the initial impression of the locos. Not present on these prints. Chassis wheel base is very similar

Edited by davidw

2 minutes ago, AlexHolt said:

The A2/2 also has a V shaped cab where as the A2/3 is a flat fronted cab. Externally this and the smokebox deflectors are the biggest difference. 

Careful there. Some of the A2/2s later received flat cabs whilst others didn't. There were also differences with the tenders.

Jason

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, AlexHolt said:

Sorry other test print versions were on show at Margate last month but being, says quietly, a "Southern Man" I didn't take pictures of them all

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AlexHolt said:

No problem, at least we have some photos of the test prints. Thank you for taking the photos that you did. Do you know if anyone else has published photos yet or will it be a case of waiting for Hornby's Engine Shed blog to cover them in more detail?

Most of the modelling press representatives were taking snaps so I am sure further images will be posted on either their Social Media or imminent magazine issues.

• RMweb Premium

The A2/3s had round steam domes initially I think, where as the A2/2s had streamline domes. Also there were 6 longer segments visible along the boiler and firebox for most or all of the A2/2s initially and early A2/3s vs 7 segments for all the remaining A2/3s. To my eye the 6 segment version makes those ones look particularly impressive.

The picture of the 3D print above shows 6 segments.

There were many boiler swaps though and plenty of excuse to want more than one for the different versions :-) 

I am very impressed with Hornby for taking these on.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dominion said:

The A2/3s had round steam domes initially I think, where as the A2/2s had streamline domes. Also there were 6 longer segments visible along the boiler and firebox for most or all of the A2/2s initially and early A2/3s vs 7 segments for all the remaining A2/3s. To my eye the 6 segment version makes those ones look particularly impressive.

The picture of the 3D print above shows 6 segments.

There were many boiler swaps though and plenty of excuse to want more than one for the different versions :-) 

I am very impressed with Hornby for taking these on.

Some good points for Hornby to wary of. 

Diagram 117 boilers were originally fitted to the A2/3 class. No spare boilers of this type were built as it was decided the slightly lighter Peppercorn Diagram 118 boiler would be interchangeable. Hence the appearance of "banjo" domes on this class at various times.

Other "naughties" could be the position of the smokebox handrail/top lamp bracket. Lipped chimneys were fitted to all exceot 60514/9 from the early 'FIfties.

As with most locomotives, these variations are extremely time dependent and fortunately Hornby have plenty of time to deliver.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Right Away said:

Some good points for Hornby to wary of. 

Diagram 117 boilers were originally fitted to the A2/3 class. No spare boilers of this type were built as it was decided the slightly lighter Peppercorn Diagram 118 boiler would be interchangeable. Hence the appearance of "banjo" domes on this class at various times.

Other "naughties" could be the position of the smokebox handrail/top lamp bracket. Lipped chimneys were fitted to all exceot 60514/9 from the early 'FIfties.

As with most locomotives, these variations are extremely time dependent and fortunately Hornby have plenty of time to deliver.

I am led to believe from another forum that Tony Wright of this parish has had some involvement. If thats the case we should be able to relax in the knowledge that models will be correct to prototype :)

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

Good news that Hornby are to release these; my only quibble is that they all are due at the same time. (Cue that wallet groan again).

Now, the controversial bit. 

There's always, it seems an anti- or pro- Thomson view. I have neither. Though ECML is not a primary collection for me (being GE section at Cambridge), I do have a strong interest and collection for the GN. After all, we had quite a few run in to Cambridge from KGX. Also we had plenty of diversions due to engineering works or accidents. And, for me, I spent many hours trainspotting at Sandy, Offord, PBN etc....

Which gets me to my "controversial" point. The Thompsons were as much of the ECML scene as the Gresleys. I never compared them, just saw them, always there (for ever, it seemed, quite wrongly...). They were THERE, just another part of the scene which I loved. They were distinctive, not wrong in my eyes. And I'd love to have a Tardis to see them again, just like the rest of that scene.

Stewart

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

The A2/2 class has never been viewed by many as a gracious looking engine but there was, to me, a certain look of functionality about them; doubtless the lengthy smokebox and absence of full size smoke deflectors lend much to this. (I'm a Southern guy and who said a Q1 was not an attractive locomotive?)

Historically, the A2/2 class might have been better accepted by the enthusiast fraternity if they had been new builds rather than the result of the demise of their impressive forebears.

Hornby are to be congratulated on producing such a numerically small class and this should practically ensure all six will eventually be made available for the Eastern people. 

• Agree 1

The A2/2s I feel may have been kept as 2-8-2s if the issues with the Gresley pony truck had been resolved earlier on, but at any rate they became pacifics, one has to remember Thompson was simply doing his job, and at a time where he couldn't build much in the way of new engines he had to sort to mainly rebuilding.  The P2s were a prime candidate for this treatment, Thompson had the right ideas with the pacifics, but it took until after he left to smooth them out properly, the equal connecting rods were not the wisest choice.

I'm thrilled to see these at any rate, the A2/2s just have a sleek look that makes them one of my favorite types, especially in Apple Green.

Suppose we may see an LNER or transitional livery a little later on?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I too would love one of the A2/2s in Apple green and hope they will make that an option eventually.

In the meantime I will be delighted with new apple green and grey and blue LNER locos :-)   (A2/3s  W1) 

Edited by Dominion

6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

They'll all be about the same. They are limited to 10% off the price for pre orders.

Jason

Rails and Derails both offer free postage on selected models, which knocks something in the region of a further £4 off.  Hattons hasn't gone down that route yet.

8 minutes ago, robmcg said:

While the new A2/2 and A2/3s are sure to be superb even irresistible models does anyone know if the re-tooled blue box V2 will appear this decade? 

I spoke to Bachmann at Warley, the EP models were there. And the reps talked about it as the steam release of 2020. The EP model photos are on rmweb and Tony Wright has had them running on LB. Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, robmcg said:

While the new A2/2 and A2/3s are sure to be superb even irresistible models does anyone know if the re-tooled blue box V2 will appear this decade? 

Rumour is that they have taken so long that, Bachmann have decided to make them as A2/1 's to spite Hornby.

:)

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

we are spoiled!     here is the Bachmann pic from Warley, thank you Alex for the link, wow UKP219 RRP 

60800_V2_Image1a.jpg.d93ae03772b705d2c7185e8d30013a30.jpg

With Hornby A2s arriving possibly at the same time we shall have to be restrained!   Cheers.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, robmcg said:

we are spoiled!     here is the Bachmann pic from Warley, thank you Alex for the link, wow UKP219 RRP 

60800_V2_Image1a.jpg.d93ae03772b705d2c7185e8d30013a30.jpg

With Hornby A2s arriving possibly at the same time we shall have to be restrained!   Cheers.

Not just the Hornby a2s and Bachmann v2s but Heljan have announced further o2s. Fortunately I've already got a w1!

Edited by davidw

5 minutes ago, davidw said:

Not just the Hornby a2s and Bachmann v2s but Heljan have announced further o2s. Fortunately I've already got a w1!

Indeed with the first run of O2s, also Hornby's excellent O1 and Bachmann's O4, we ARE spoiled.

But to get back on thread I must say that the newly-announced Hornby O2/2 and 3 are brave and amazing.  We have Hornby to thank for a very promising RTR year ahead.

Edited by robmcg
typo

I'll be adding both era 5 models to my collection to sit alongside my A4s and currently sole Gresley A1.

I have to confess that Bachmann's A1 and A2 have never attracted me due to the drooping cab end and lack of finesse Hornby have always seemed to bestow on top link locos

• Like 1