Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

This must be the first pacific that hasn’t included a flanged pony truck wheel is it?

It does seem a bit odd.  

but moving on for a moment, how you possibly need a Gresley Pacific when you could have this?

60523_A2_R3835_portrait3_5abcdefg_r1820.jpg.a2c636d7de444d524434192a85ab706b.jpg

No conjugated valve gear, double blastpipe, steam brake, 250lb boiler, high tractive effort,  what could possibly go wrong?

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Well my own 60505 arrived in the post today. Was rather amused to find that the smokebox was loose from the body instead of the top lamp bracket as I had assumed going off previous experience from other people in here. A Tender Handrail was also loose but they have been refitted now. Some visible glue marks for the doors on the tender but I intend on getting the loco weathered so those errors will be covered up with no issue. 

• Like 1

A few more photos of 60501 - CotN - looking pretty decent.

The green and boiler bands apart - Rebuilt Royal Scot for reference alongside.

Running plate is more than straight enough, but is very easily moved when the body is removed - and easily straightened again - thus I agree with the metal selection discussion.

Al.

60501 - CotN R3830 - 20210204-1 small.jpg

60501 - CotN R3830 - 20210204-2 small.jpg

60501 - CotN R3830 - 20210204-3 small.jpg

60501 - CotN R3830 - 20210205-1 small.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Running plate is more than straight enough, but is very easily moved when the body is removed - and easily straightened again - thus I agree with the metal selection discussion.

Al.

With respect to COTN, if someone wanted to make it appropriate for the late 50s would yourself of anyone else with this model be able to determine if the smoke box number plate will come off easily. On the A3 it's a separate moulding?

• RMweb Premium
On 03/02/2021 at 20:25, gordon s said:

Hi Mark, just looking at your pics again and unless it’s my imagination, there are signs of a similar wave in your footplate on the same side as mine, but perhaps not so pronounced. This may possibly confirm an assembly issue where one component is not sitting properly or the body has been clamped down too tightly. I’ll take a look at it tomorrow and see if there is anything obvious. The other side is perfectly flat on both locomotives. Not the end of the world and I can live with it, but curiosity makes me want to take a look. It’s in the three pics directly above and runs from the centre driver to the front driver and cylinders.

I have to say, mine has been running on the bench for several hours now and it really is quiet and smooth in both directions.

Hello Gordon

I've finally been able to give my loco a run on a rolling road (very smooth) and to check the footplate - yes there is a very small wave in the vicinity of the sandbox backing plate on the left hand side.  It's not particularly pronounced, but I will look at easing the component whose fit looks to be causing the distortion.  If you do yours first let us know how you get on...

Sun Castle next, I think, especially if it's suitable for renumbering/naming as Owen Tudor (or is that one of those minefields?)...

Regards

Mark

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

57 minutes ago, davidw said:

With respect to COTN, if someone wanted to make it appropriate for the late 50s would yourself of anyone else with this model be able to determine if the smoke box number plate will come off easily. On the A3 it's a separate moulding?

Looking at my original photo close-up of the smokebox, it looks like it's a print onto a moulding, so will require careful use of T-Cut I would guess.

Al.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Looking at my original photo close-up of the smokebox, it looks like it's a print onto a moulding, so will require careful use of T-Cut I would guess.

Al.

Thanks. Not impossible then....

• RMweb Premium

My Thane of Fife was delivered from Monk Bar Models yesterday evening, and today been having a good look at it.  Some very good detailing on the body in particular, and the valve gear and motion is much better than any other Hornby loco I've seen.  At last the connect rods look like heavy forgings rather than flat stampings!

The running plates seem to be straight or very nearly so on both sides.  Some sign of slight mis assembly at the bottom of the firebox and cab side, driver's side only, which I was unable to correct and will live with.

The smokebox door lamp iron was missing from mine too and not to be found in the box - I suspect the shop will have taken it out and given it a test run before sending it to me.  So I've made a new one from a piece of nickel silver strip, which will be stronger than the plastic one anyway.

In the course of doing this I discovered that the smokebox door is a separate piece, push fit on mine (although maybe intended to be glued?) which might make it easier for anyone wanting to carve off the number plate.

I found a screw coupling for the front, from a PC Models etch, which I was able to fit to the existing drawhook.

I fitted the front steps and drain cocks, and given the long front overhang was pleased to find the loco will still go round my sharpest curves (curved side of Peco double slip).  It will do this with the tender drawbar on the 'short' setting as well.  In fact the running is very good all round.

The shade of green certainly seems a bit odd but I will live with it for now, until I get around to weathering.

IMG_3912.jpg.167641272dfb04444fbbfac64a8a9c95.jpg

IMG_3913.jpg.92980737a41dd4598976e5aebfbdaca1.jpg

IMG_3914.jpg.9e66acf65d4f520c12429643d68eb093.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, everyone. I received the model of 60505 today at Midday from Kernow Models. Somehow the green doesn’t look quite as bad when on the layout - it could just be the lighting. I think I’ll have a go at removing and reseating the sandbox backings to see if that helps straighten out the footplate. The top lamp iron was correct and in place on the smokebox door. As others have stated it runs beautifully, is very smooth and controllable at all speeds. So not a bad model, and I’m certainly happy with it overall.

Here are a couple of photo’s which I took earlier on.

843A5BE1-B6E5-41FF-AD30-C83B6939345C.jpeg.c17e48e93a79b09c637b26bcfc138461.jpeg

9716A668-88EC-4275-93E5-B5B8525EFC46.jpeg.455d3a2052b7d7eaf76d7fcecdda5b6b.jpeg

ACFCC1EA-A0D1-4CF4-9C89-574F37C14C3C.jpeg.3f6afde085f47c8aeefcdf2a3c83eca3.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To correct a spelling error.
  • Like 11

Hi Guys, spend the day messing around and managed to loosen the footplate at the front end. There are three very small screws holding it in place.

DSCF1553.jpg.0de7e6295aada98fce56c1e9bd5f6c8a.jpg

This allowed me to gently prise away the sand box and with help from a straight edge, I managed to get the footplate much straighter and then re attached the sand box so that it wasn't fouling the boiler. Not a perfect answer but certainly an improvement.

The rest of the day has been spent trying to fit a decoder. This loco ran perfectly on DC, but when I went to fit a decoder, I had a dead short.

Many thanks to Nigel, Keith and Andi for your input, but eventually we tracked it down to this.....

DSCF1556.jpg.21eb9b6de214cb9802e7ddc5309f8583.jpg

Luckily I didn't blow any decoders and of course it might just be my Friday afternoon loco, but tread very carefully and ensure you only use the programming track to set up your decoder. In all my years of fitting decoders, this one had me beat as it worked perfectly on DC, but a dead short when you plugged in a decoder.

Apart from that, the loco is great........:D

Hoping to get some video taken later on ET with 8 coaches....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, 31A said:

My Thane of Fife was delivered from Monk Bar Models yesterday evening, and today been having a good look at it.  Some very good detailing on the body in particular, and the valve gear and motion is much better than any other Hornby loco I've seen.  At last the connect rods look like heavy forgings rather than flat stampings!

The running plates seem to be straight or very nearly so on both sides.  Some sign of slight mis assembly at the bottom of the firebox and cab side, driver's side only, which I was unable to correct and will live with.

The smokebox door lamp iron was missing from mine too and not to be found in the box - I suspect the shop will have taken it out and given it a test run before sending it to me.  So I've made a new one from a piece of nickel silver strip, which will be stronger than the plastic one anyway.

In the course of doing this I discovered that the smokebox door is a separate piece, push fit on mine (although maybe intended to be glued?) which might make it easier for anyone wanting to carve off the number plate.

I found a screw coupling for the front, from a PC Models etch, which I was able to fit to the existing drawhook.

I fitted the front steps and drain cocks, and given the long front overhang was pleased to find the loco will still go round my sharpest curves (curved side of Peco double slip).  It will do this with the tender drawbar on the 'short' setting as well.  In fact the running is very good all round.

The shade of green certainly seems a bit odd but I will live with it for now, until I get around to weathering.

IMG_3912.jpg.167641272dfb04444fbbfac64a8a9c95.jpg

IMG_3913.jpg.92980737a41dd4598976e5aebfbdaca1.jpg

IMG_3914.jpg.9e66acf65d4f520c12429643d68eb093.jpg

Hi

Stunning looking model.

Regards

David

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Al.

Hi

Looks very impressive, are they brass etched nameplates fitted or the originals as come with the model?

Regards

David

3 hours ago, davidw said:

Hi David

I have a 60501 on order with Hatton’s.

My Haymarket layout is set in the 1958/9 period and 60501 is as it was in the early 1950’s, if I decide to change it by fitting an AWS Plate late tender totem I will look at changing the entire smoke box door.

I have one already prepared and ready using a Graeme King resin door, I would not feel comfortable trying to pare off the smoke box number moulding with a scalpel.

The boiler will definitely need a coat of Klear and weathering to darken that green.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi

Looks very impressive, are they brass etched nameplates fitted or the originals as come with the model?

Regards

David

It's an embossed / raised straight platform onto which the number is printed - I do not think you can remove the 'plate' without serious damage incurred!

Al.

• Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

It's an embossed / raised straight platform onto which the number is printed - I do not think you can remove the 'plate' without serious damage incurred!

Al.

Hi Al,

I've removed things like that with files on a Bachmann A2 in the past. Thanks for the information. I've TOF coming in the next few days. I'm tempted by COTN. Just just wondered if the "surgery" was quick or not.

Thanks again.

David

Edited by davidw

19 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi David

I have a 60501 on order with Hatton’s.

My Haymarket layout is set in the 1958/9 period and 60501 is as it was in the early 1950’s, if I decide to change it by fitting an AWS Plate late tender totem I will look at changing the entire smoke box door.

I have one already prepared and ready using a Graeme King resin door, I would not feel comfortable trying to pare off the smoke box number moulding with a scalpel.

The boiler will definitely need a coat of Klear and weathering to darken that green.

Regards

David

Ah Graeme King! Yes I'd forgotten his resin bits. It will be interesting to see how you get on.  Thouhg I think COTH crest was changed late 58.

51 minutes ago, davidw said:

Hi Al,

I've removed things like that with files on a Bachmann A2 in the past. Thanks for the information. I've TOF coming in the next few days. I'm tempted by COTN. Just just wondered if the "surgery" was quick or not.

Thanks again.

David

Hi David, go easy and tread carefully.

I think the moulding is 'intelligently optimised', by that I mean it probably isn't simply thicker.

Good luck just the same.

Loco's a real gem of a good runner - using my favourite Hornby motor - that used in A3, A4, MN, Duchess, Coronation, Royal Scot, Black 5, etc ...

Al.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Hi David, go easy and tread carefully.

I think the moulding is 'intelligently optimised', by that I mean it probably isn't simply thicker.

Good luck just the same.

Loco's a real gem of a good runner - using my favourite Hornby motor - that used in A3, A4, MN, Duchess, Coronation, Royal Scot, Black 5, etc ...

Al.

Thanks if I do it. I may go with landscapes idea, and replace the smoke box door.

16 minutes ago, gordon s said:

One beautiful loco on a layout with still much to do. Running on DCC despite it's best efforts to confuse me.......;)

Looking forward to Sun Castle arriving soon...

I enjoyed that!

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

This must be the first pacific that hasn’t included a flanged pony truck wheel is it?

As far as I'm aware, but there is no option to fit a set of flanged wheels as nothing can turn. The axle sits in a narrow slot with no room for radial movement.

Need to check out that pick up strip tomorrow....

DSCF1554.jpg.439ce7d982dfd01171c2610e58486be3.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gordon s said:

As far as I'm aware, but there is no option to fit a set of flanged wheels as nothing can turn. The axle sits in a narrow slot with no room for radial movement.

Need to check out that pick up strip tomorrow....

DSCF1554.jpg.439ce7d982dfd01171c2610e58486be3.jpg

Interesting to note the tyre looks to be a trapezoid and not totally flat-I wonder if this is an attempt to still make the wheelset spin when on straight track and then when it swings out it stops.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, gordon s said:

One beautiful loco on a layout with still much to do. Running on DCC despite it's best efforts to confuse me.......;)

Looking forward to Sun Castle arriving soon...

Thanks for taking the time to shoot a video. What a fantastic-looking layout! 

Chasing up my TOF order this weekend. Forewarned is forearmed with the various QC niggles...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, davidw said:

Ah Graeme King! Yes I'd forgotten his resin bits. It will be interesting to see how you get on.  Thouhg I think COTH crest was changed late 58.

Hi David

If you are correct then I can leave the early tender totem in place as I am modelling 1958.

I may just leave the model as it is for now as I would also have to change the double chimney as well.

I also have a Graeme King resin double chimney as well I can fit if required.

Regards

David