Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)

48 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi David

Is your photo of the new Hornby A2/2 as the green in your picture looks quite reasonable to me.

Regards

David

THIS IS THE THING!!

The green really isn't that far out, it's the lining that's miles out!

I'm staring at mine daily - I have some track on a small side table alongside where I 'repose'' and have several locomotives there regularly - 60501 is there with Flying Scotsman, 2 greens of Tornado (Bachmann) and a couple of others.

I'm hoping the Fox's lining will sort it out.

Al.

• RMweb Premium

Hornby 60501 arrived this morning - super model - now off for breakfast. My photo is up to my usual poor standard and it would never have been in Basingstoke shed yard - or rather what will be Basingstoke shed yard...

1574438513_001(2).JPG.519e96c89bfdfd7e96123e904713ca3d.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS Bent vac pipe!

Edited by 30368
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Hornby 60501 arrived this morning - super model - now off for breakfast. My photo is up to my usual poor standard and it would never have been in Basingstoke shed yard - or rather what will be Basingstoke shed yard...

1574438513_001(2).JPG.519e96c89bfdfd7e96123e904713ca3d.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS Bent vac pipe!

Hi Richard 

That looks superb I am hoping my 60501 will arrive either tomorrow or Friday I know it’s on it’s way.

Basingstoke is your layout so you can run what you want, how about an enthusiast’s special to the south in the 1950’s and being serviced at Basingstoke.

I remember seeing a V2 arrive at Eastleigh from the North on an enthusiast’s special in 1964, ironically we were all disappointed as rumours were saying that the special was going to be hauled by A4 60004 but they were just rumours.

Regards

David

I had my ToF running in yesterday and got her chipped. 

There was an clicking noise coming from her but after running in it has vanished.

Very quiet and very smooth. Had her running with 12 Hornby and Bachmann carriages and if the curves had allowed I'm sure I could have added more.

I loved watching her running light engine. The motion makes it look like she's hurriedly shuffling along rather than looking like she's gracefully galloping like an A3.

The green is growing on me and I'll live with the sloppy boiler bands. I feel that Hornby really need to up their game on quality control and livery application especially as £200+ for these models is now becoming the norm.

But would I buy another, yes I probably would and I wish I'd pre-ordered an A2/3. I'm eagerly waiting the rebuilt W1 in BR green now!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

47 minutes ago, mckinneyc said:

But would I buy another, yes I probably would and I wish I'd pre-ordered an A2/3. I'm eagerly waiting the rebuilt W1 in BR green now!

I'm eagerly awaiting my A2/3... are they still expected this month/imminently? Steady Aim E/E is the model Mr Hatton is supplying me with...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

That looks superb I am hoping my 60501 will arrive either tomorrow or Friday I know it’s on it’s way.

Basingstoke is your layout so you can run what you want, how about an enthusiast’s special to the south in the 1950’s and being serviced at Basingstoke.

Hi David,

Yes running an enthusiast's special is a good idea. I have a model of a V2 (and another to build) and a B1 classes that were transferred to the Southern when the Bulleid pacifics had thier axle problems in the 1950s, a possible excuse for various LNER pacifics........

Kind regards,

Richard B

This just turned up on the Peterborough parcels train. The driver of the double-chimney V2 on the next road – a fervent Gresley fan – looks on in complete disgust. The fitters work away to find a suitable top lamp iron and to refit the water scoop correctly before its next job which will involve taking water at Werrington and Langley troughs.

20210210_140038.jpg

• Like 8
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 06/02/2021 at 14:25, atom3624 said:

A dab of paint and a couple of Fox's finest later ...

Looks much more like it - OK the plates are a bit 'clean' for a dulled smokebox, but I like it!!

Al.

60501 - CotN R3830 - 20210206-1.jpg

Isn't putting lamps on the side of the engine in that position a bit of Western Region practice?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, GWR types often had spare Lamp Brackets mounted on the  side of the footplate to securely accommodate spare lamps which I think would be mounted with the lens facing inwards so as not to confuse signalmen.

Back to main topic, does anyone have any source of information as to expected delivery dates of the A 2/3s ? So far as I've been able to see Hornby's website just says they are Out of Stock -( does that mean sold out to pre orders ?) or is there another heading where this information might be found?

Regards,

John

Edited by Brit70053
addition of sentence

7 hours ago, Brit70053 said:

Yes, GWR types often had spare Lamp Brackets mounted on the  side of the footplate to securely accommodate spare lamps which I think would be mounted with the lens facing inwards so as not to confuse signalmen.

Back to main topic, does anyone have any source of information as to expected delivery dates of the A 2/3s ? So far as I've been able to see Hornby's website just says they are Out of Stock -( does that mean sold out to pre orders ?) or is there another heading where this information might be found?

Regards,

John

A deafening silence is all I have, but I do have a pre-order for 'Sun Castle' where the retailer will refund my payment if the model does not arrive in a reasonable common sense time-frame, possibly a month, but my choice to extend .  FWIW it's with Kernow.

I rather hope the A2/3 BR models left China before the Chinese New Year, but who knows?

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, mckinneyc said:

Regarding the water scoop, at least it has one!

Turned over my A4s and A1 they unfortunately can't take on water in any direction! :laugh: 

Mine  was the wrong way around. Now corrected

• Like 2

To all you lucky people who are enjoying your A2/2 Hattons has just denied me that pleasure.Two days ago an email advised my pre-order had been processed.I wake this morning to an email advising a refund has been processed as the item had been oversold.   What has happened to the usually reliable Hattons or does the problem lie with Hornby?

Edited by nerron
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, nerron said:

To all you lucky people who are enjoying your A2/2 Hattons has just denied me that pleasure.Two days ago an email advised my pre-order had been processed.I wake this morning to an email this morning advising a refund has been processed as the item had been oversold.   What has happened to the usually reliable Hattons or does the problem lie with Hornby?

Unfortunately, all too common with Hattons I'm afraid.

I've had exactly the same problem in the past, that's why I now find smaller outlets/concerns.

Try Derails, Bure Valley Models or Kernow Model centre, who I think still have stocks of the A2/2.

All of the above offer excellent customer service and are recommended.

Hope this assists.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, nerron said:

To all you lucky people who are enjoying your A2/2 Hattons has just denied me that pleasure.Two days ago an email advised my pre-order had been processed.I wake this morning to an email advising a refund has been processed as the item had been oversold.   What has happened to the usually reliable Hattons or does the problem lie with Hornby?

Irresistible force meets immovable object.. put another way  meaning,perhaps,oversold meets undersold ?   “Usually reliable “ and Hornby distribution practices are somewhat strange bedfellows but then nothing is new under the sun. Advance order means no cast iron,guaranteed delivery it seems.

• Agree 1