Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)

18 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

Mine's coming from Cheltenham Model Centre.  They said they test them before sending them out which is a very useful thing to do.  I'd pre-ordered, no problem.  They've been a reliable supplier in the past.  No connection, just satisfied customer.

Good to know as I've just moved most of my pre-orders to them from Hattons.

• Like 2

Collected my Thane of Fife from the always-helpful Trains4U this afternoon. Opened the box very warily in case the smokebox lamp iron had come adrift, as others had found.

Turns out I needn't have worried: it was still affixed to the smokebox door... which had completely detached from the loco.

IMG_2989.jpg.8a642bd5586998c8344bd9bf5b087887.jpg

The running plate looks to have a slight undulation on both sides as it flexes around the sandbox backing plates. I'm not sure I'd have noticed it immediately if others on this thread hadn't pointed it out on their models. Colour looks better in real life than in photos, if not as dark and rich as the box image. 

IMG_2991.jpg.b455fec2f23ad8405ea941c65da6f159.jpg

RHS nameplate isn't quite fixed properly, but I'll have a closer look later when I stick the smokebox door back on. 

IMG_2992.jpg.c0c6884c56b305d393e4c21cc0b2568f.jpg

Detail bag does indeed contain the AWS backing plate, along with 2x steps, 2 x drain cocks and brake rigging. 

IMG_2988.jpg.c14f1f613408cf28ca9fc991d4432a3c.jpg

I'll sit down later and really give the loco a close look over. My layout's been dismantled for an upcoming house move so I can't test run it as yet, though I'll try to dig the rolling road out over the weekend. 

Cheers all.

IMG_2990.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 4

Hi

My 60501 Cock O The North arrived today.

Overall its a very nice looking locomotive from a design point of view.

Good points

Runs very well at all speeds forwards and reverse,

Can close couple the tender and with the pair of cab doors the gap between loco and tender looks good,

lots of detail,

Bad Points

Those extra detail bits that come in a plastic bag are murder to put on, why don't the factory fix them.

The top smokebox lamp iron completely missing,

Very slight backwards cab lean but hardly noticeable,

That green livery, quite honestly Hornby want shooting for allowing it to pass quality control it has no resemblance to Brunswick green more like apple green.

The rear flangeless pony wheels, you can remove and replace them quite easily but when I replaced them with a spare set of flanged wheels the locomotive just slipped with no adhesion to the track so I put the flangeless ones back on.

Photo enclosed below with a Bachmann A2 and just visible a Hornby A4, both have been weathered but a good colour comparison.

I think 60501 need some heavy weathering to hide that green.

Photo enclosed below which I have tried to get a fairly accurate colour shade.

Having said that definitely pleased I bought one.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3649B.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

16 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Mentioned elsewhere in this thread somewhere, the cylinder draincocks are incorrect as well - should be trimmed back like early A3 draincocks.

Al.

Hi Al

Spot on I trimmed them down just after I took the photo.

Regards

David

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Mentioned elsewhere in this thread somewhere, the cylinder draincocks are incorrect as well - should be trimmed back like early A3 draincocks.

Al.

But take care when the A2/3 arrives as they are a mine field.

It looks as though some had the pipes cut back late in their life.

Sun Castle being one of them just to complicate matters.

Bernard

2 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Knowing it's right, I still find myself asking 'the question' "is this right?" before getting the modelling scissors out!!

Off to do mine just now.

Al.

Hi Al

Just after I posted the photo on RMWEB I pulled up a colour photo of 60501 in a very dirty deplorable external condition.

I am trying to get some weathering ideas and notice the drain cock pipes were much smaller in length as you said similar to the A3 the ones that come with the model are more like the A4’s

Regards

David

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

But take care when the A2/3 arrives as they are a mine field.

It looks as though some had the pipes cut back late in their life.

Sun Castle being one of them just to complicate matters.

Bernard

Do you have photos you can post to aid fellow modellers at all?

Al.

1 hour ago, OliverBytham said:

Collected my Thane of Fife from the always-helpful Trains4U this afternoon. Opened the box very warily in case the smokebox lamp iron had come adrift, as others had found.

Turns out I needn't have worried: it was still affixed to the smokebox door... which had completely detached from the loco.

IMG_2989.jpg.8a642bd5586998c8344bd9bf5b087887.jpg

The running plate looks to have a slight undulation on both sides as it flexes around the sandbox backing plates. I'm not sure I'd have noticed it immediately if others on this thread hadn't pointed it out on their models. Colour looks better in real life than in photos, if not as dark and rich as the box image. 

IMG_2991.jpg.b455fec2f23ad8405ea941c65da6f159.jpg

RHS nameplate isn't quite fixed properly, but I'll have a closer look later when I stick the smokebox door back on. 

IMG_2992.jpg.c0c6884c56b305d393e4c21cc0b2568f.jpg

Detail bag does indeed contain the AWS backing plate, along with 2x steps, 2 x drain cocks and brake rigging. 

IMG_2988.jpg.c14f1f613408cf28ca9fc991d4432a3c.jpg

I'll sit down later and really give the loco a close look over. My layout's been dismantled for an upcoming house move so I can't test run it as yet, though I'll try to dig the rolling road out over the weekend. 

Cheers all.

IMG_2990.jpg

Send it back, as I am doing with mine.

Pete

25 minutes ago, Toftwood said:

Send it back, as I am doing with mine.

Pete

Looking that way, unfortunately. 

As I lifted the loco clear of the packing tray, it left its water scoop behind. 

Meanwhile, one of the two lubricator assemblies on the LHS running plate is missing.

56E59AB9-1C78-451B-B1BB-FBF7B9F43413.jpeg.a0c57f70129df7bcb1e834538eff271c.jpeg

If it, like the smokebox door and water scoop, had been lurking in the bottom

of the box I’d have just stuck them back on, but now there’s a missing detail it irks me with the money spent. Hoping for more luck with the replacement. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, OliverBytham said:

Looking that way, unfortunately. 

As I lifted the loco clear of the packing tray, it left its water scoop behind. 

Meanwhile, one of the two lubricator assemblies on the LHS running plate is missing.

56E59AB9-1C78-451B-B1BB-FBF7B9F43413.jpeg.a0c57f70129df7bcb1e834538eff271c.jpeg

If it, like the smokebox door and water scoop, had been lurking in the bottom

of the box I’d have just stuck them back on, but now there’s a missing detail it irks me with the money spent. Hoping for more luck with the replacement. 

This is mine.3C8EC303-8667-452D-9070-621C8C337935.jpeg.7fa5106c3e0be382272f79bc41b66bb5.jpeg

note the gap on the front footplate under the frame, the motion etc

2427078D-41FE-4D7D-99E8-5DCB763E4633.jpeg.7ab171d760616e96a1b4fe37e1c25f8b.jpeg

0F45B341-B2DE-4B26-8860-DB67C195E603.jpeg.f52356849b63b88725c303e3880e5bb3.jpeg

the works plate is derisable.

Pete

• Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, rembrow said:

Today's Kernow Models newsletter has advised that they are expecting the A2/3s by the end of Feb with Sun Castle sold out.

Ah! Finally a hint of certainty.  Kernow are not inclined to mis-represent the situation, and this means to me that the BR A2/3s left China before the Chinese New Year.

Mind you with container shipping being shambolic nothing is certain! 

I am one who pre-ordered Sun Castle from them, mea culpa! :)

• Friendly/supportive 1

Very sad really, I had two spare bits of plastic when I opened the box, one the smokebox lamp iron and the other I deduce is what looks like a coat hook above the tender handbrake.  I suspect the one on the equialent one on the left hand side had gone walk abouts and was lost.   Then there is the firebox to cab joint.  On the kitchen table I thought I might live with the model but when I took it upstairs to see its new friends it really shouts out just how rubbish it has been made.  It's now on its way back to join a pile of other 'dud' models.

DSC06045.JPG

DSC06048.JPG

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

Wow! This really looks like an exercise in how to design, manufacture and assemble and pack and deliver a model with a retail of under UKP200 and nothing wrong....   I have two en route from what I understand is a frozen England and I will presume my 60501 and weathered 60505 will have been frozen as well as bumped, dropped, and vibrated thoroughly before receipt. Being high summer here we could add being cooked in an airport container.  

What an adventure!

I will expect perfection. Nothing else will do!

Amazingly, items bought on line in the UK sometimes reach my doorstep in NZ in 6 days, more commonly 12-15 days, and some take many weeks for no obvious reason.  Royal Mail and NZ Post.

• Like 2

Rob, mine only had the back-to-front water scoop.

Everything was attached.

Cab fit is as good as it can get.

Running plate is fine.

No missing lamp brackets.

No loose smokebox door - I've tried forcing mine off but will end up removing the handrail first if I continue - it's a void and could accept more weight.

Runs smoothly, perfectly from a super-smooth crawl up to quite a decent top speed - coupling rods are a virtual blur - HM2000 - DC - 9 coaches.

Traction is pretty decent as well - uncharacteristically!

Negatives:

Tender - featherlight.

Green - too light -  but not THAT far off.

Lining - enough said.

Draincocks - too long.

That's it!

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

33 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Everything was attached.

Running plate is fine.

No loose smokebox door - I've tried forcing mine off but will end up removing the handrail first if I continue - it's a void and could accept more weight.

Runs smoothly, perfectly from a super-smooth crawl up to quite a decent top speed - coupling rods are a virtual blur - HM2000 - DC - 9 coaches.

Negatives:

Tender - featherlight.

Lining - enough said.

Draincocks - too long.

That's it!

Al.

Often I have read tales of woe here on RMweb and expected the worst, but I have had only a few irredeemably faulty models in the last 15 years, from hundreds.  It's refreshing to read of a model arriving intact and undamaged. 

That said , I have a few models which would be hard to fix; a Duchess of Montrose with a bit of cab droop and worse, angled cab lining, once seen it's hard to ignore. :)

I will be expecting a possibility of parts detached or poorly-fitted on the A2s , but I will probably attempt to fix any faults rather than return the model with all the export paperwork and cost involved.

To me the possibility of imperfection is part of the hobby, part of buying at a good price, and as  Tony Wright often points out, could you make one yourself?  I think are spoiled with the quality of 00 RTR these days, the odd return or repair notwithstanding.

Thanks for your positive, realistic and uplifting post.

Edited by robmcg
typos
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Very sad really, I had two spare bits of plastic when I opened the box, one the smokebox lamp iron and the other I deduce is what looks like a coat hook above the tender handbrake.  I suspect the one on the equialent one on the left hand side had gone walk abouts and was lost.   Then there is the firebox to cab joint.  On the kitchen table I thought I might live with the model but when I took it upstairs to see its new friends it really shouts out just how rubbish it has been made.  It's now on its way back to join a pile of other 'dud' models.

DSC06045.JPG

DSC06048.JPG

Absolutely appalling build with nil QC.

This is one Hornby loco that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just had a quick nose on Flickr and I have to agree with the majority who commented that the green is way too light.  I struggle to understand why it got signed off at quality control, so Hornby should hang their heads in shame.

I had planned to by one as it looked spot on in the promotional blurb but unfortunately circumstances got in the way.  I think I dodged a bullet there.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Everything was attached.

Running plate is fine.

Negatives:

Tender - featherlight.

Lining - enough said.

Draincocks - too long.

That's it!

Al.

Lucky you, this is however the first ‘reject’ I have ever had with ‘new’ stock from the major manufacturers. I just hope there is a good one out there and the A2/3 Sun Castle arrives in good condition.

Pete

Edited by Toftwood
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I’ve just had a quick nose on Flickr and I have to agree with the majority who commented that the green is way too light.  I struggle to understand why it got signed off at quality control, so Hornby should hang their heads in shame.

I had planned to by one as it looked spot on in the promotional blurb but unfortunately circumstances got in the way.  I think I dodged a bullet there.

Hornby know of the livery issue which sadly applies to a good number of its steam image releases,going back many years now I’m afraid.It appears they consistently turn deaf ears  or believe they are correct in its current applications. So it’s not a qc issue but one of ingrained habit which is systemic. The real qc matter is one of assembly which is highlighted in some of the posts here and are as bad if not worse than some of howlers we’ve seen over the years.

I usually avoid the matter of cost of a model .So instead I will use the phrase “value for money “.The lowest price I have seen for one of these is £161.Most will have paid more.But in any event,at whatever the cost this simply should not be happening time and time again. But it is and maybe it’s down to teething troubles at a new Chinese supplier.Who knows ? That’s no consolation to an enthusiast who receives a box he has to return.

It has been said here so many times .If you want one,choose a retailer who will guarantee to open the box and check test the model visually and under power for a couple of minutes so that hex nuts don’t fall off leaving the motion to seize up.Then weather it yourself or pay someone to do it for you.Takes care of livery issues.They were never clean anyway.

One final observation.Hornby’s production policy sees a variety of different suppliers in China with the consequences of a variety of different outcomes some better than others,the above mentioned being a case in point.

European manufacturers in HO also “go east “ for their supply.Piko has a dedicated factory in China.Roco uses a supplier in  Vietnam for some of its releases in addition to its Salzburg hq. They appear not to suffer Hornby’s problems

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1