New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

What a great little model promised from Hornby, but no smoke!  The original was great fun, and perhaps I should dust off my 3.5” version. 

image.jpeg.01a1b65402e313483acffe90711a66fa.jpeg
Tim

Edited by CF MRC
Better picture
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

What a great little model promised from Hornby, but no smoke!  The original was great fun, and perhaps I should dust off my 3.5” version. 
5E1A376C-9C1D-416C-8050-999BD7E76CDE.jpeg.74922f0f0331bfb13597b69aa8a866bc.jpeg

Photo from Hatton’s website 
Tim

If ANY model was crying out for a ready fitted crew........

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

Really impressed by this. I thought there was an outside chance of Rocket showing up in the range, but at best it would be the Triang one with a new finish. It's just a shame it's a limited edition, I'd love the coaches as a separate item.

There two sets, limited R3809 and train pack R3810 so maybe if they sell well? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

Really impressed by this. I thought there was an outside chance of Rocket showing up in the range, but at best it would be the Triang one with a new finish. It's just a shame it's a limited edition, I'd love the coaches as a separate item.

It looks like this is going to be produced as the limited edition box set (R3809, RRP £189.99) and also a normal train pack (R3810, RRP: £179.99)

[Edit: Beaten to it!]

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I am delighted with this announcement from Hornby, its an obvious one for them to produce and surely will be the sort of thing that will sell well at Shildon and York NRM to a wider audience. I been bending Hornby reps about this for some time but claim absolutely no credit! I had a long chat with Simon at the Great Dorset Steam Fair last August and he spent a long time checking on his phone  and pointing out that there wasn't an anniversary for it coming up in the near future when he will have known all about the new tooling and its release this year. At times at these public events he must have many internal chuckles to balance the rubbish he gets from customers!

Certainly Hornby have pulled out the stops this year and like many others on here I hope it works for them.

all the best and a Happy New Year to all

Godfrey

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

54 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Hornby has shown it can do small with the Ruston. I wonder if there will be a DCC socket and space for a speaker in the lead coach.

Not sure on the speaker but I asked Hornby on Facebook and they said there will be a DCC socket

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

A few snaps from my phone taken last month. True to 1/76th scale the model is quite exquisite!

H2020_rocket_1.jpg.98de57f4fdf2fb43221ebc38f855ab55.jpg

H2020_rocket_2.jpg.55541021169ee89d8f3fdf63f7140489.jpg

It's a pity that the lining on the water tank (?) appears quite sloppy, although fairly easy to tidy up I imagine. This can't be too far pre-production if they're to be available next month.

2 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

It looks like this is going to be produced as the limited edition box set (R3809, RRP £189.99) and also a normal train pack (R3810, RRP: £179.99)

[Edit: Beaten to it!]

As @Graham_Muz clarified in the 2020 release thread, the coaches will have different names. So the two packs are not otherwise identical.

• Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

There two sets, limited R3809 and train pack R3810 so maybe if they sell well? 

Yes. And then all the Rocket 200 and other editions they can think of. I think they'll be making these for years. :yes:

Open carriages next please. Need somewhere for the plebs to travel.  ;) 

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

2 hours ago, HonestTom said:

There is one set limited and one not and I imagine It's not like it will disappear forever.

No doubt It will come out next in a Top Hat Shaped Box or Science Museum Victorian Edition as The Stephenson's Steam Special Anniversary . Banging out another 2000 items limited edition. There going to get as much cash from this as possible.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/39601/Hornby-r3810-oo-gauge-l-mr-stephenson-s-rocket-train-pack

and the limited one for 9 quid extra

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/39570/Hornby-r3809-oo-gauge-stephenson-s-rocket-train-pack-centenary-year-limited-edition-1963

cheers

G

Edited by Georgeconna

19 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

There is one set limited and one not and I imagine It's not like it will disappear forever.

No doubt It will come out next in a Top Hat Shaped Box or Science Museum Victorian Edition as The Stephenson's Steam Special Anniversary . Banging out another 2000 items limited edition. There going to get as much cash from this as possible.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/39601/Hornby-r3810-oo-gauge-l-mr-stephenson-s-rocket-train-pack

and the limited one for 9 quid extra

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/39570/Hornby-r3809-oo-gauge-stephenson-s-rocket-train-pack-centenary-year-limited-edition-1963

cheers

G

Well of course they are going to get as much cash out of it as possible. They are a business and not making things for the fun of it.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, truffy said:

It's a pity that the lining on the water tank (?) appears quite sloppy, although fairly easy to tidy up I imagine. This can't be too far pre-production if they're to be available next month.

The image is very cruelly enlarged the actual model is tiny! 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2