New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

The image is very cruelly enlarged the actual model is tiny! 

I would have thought that’s an early hand finished model, that lining if tampo printed would be so much better than that.

Guest LU Standard Stock

Well my plan to not buy any more model railway items has been thrown into disarray by this announcement, I cant not get one! Curses!! :lol:

5 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

It looks more steam punk than the new steam punk collection :p 

Yes, that thought did cross my mind!

5 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

It looks wonderful!

Doesn't it though?  Yippee.

07d1f83026f797b1b2339e82c1baf1e9c6952783.jpg.ffb8cb406830adb2e752aa59c07a1562.jpg

For the kids' market, rather than the Steampunk range, how about re-visiting the Triang penchant for animated sets ..... 

CFY2soVXIAA6C_T.jpg.0793da4dc331373bc40abf8cd2478de2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

A few snaps from my phone taken last month. True to 1/76th scale the model is quite exquisite!

Will that chimney foul my overbridge on my layout though.....:unsure:

22 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Couldn't resist. My local pusher feeds my habit by accepting a simple SMS from me as a pre-order. :unsureclear:He makes it far too easy.

Thought for a sec that your profile pic was of you ordering it on your phone, but then I realised it was a camera...

• RMweb Premium

At last - a 21st century version of the Rocket and its carriages! 

I somehow scraped together enough money years ago to buy an unboxed 1984 Hornby version of the loco and a Triang carriage. Our family lived near Edge Hill station - the original Liverpool & Manchester terminus - in the 60s.

Even with clean wheels, pickups and and track the Rocket still ran jerkily; I was also apprehensive how long the motor would last as it was an unique design so I rarely ran it, the loco and carriage were sold on.

Tonight I've just pre-ordered the R3810 train pack.

Edited by gc4946

Guest LU Standard Stock
55 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

The original Tri-ang Rocket crew figures were rather good. No top hats (unlike Airfix) but they're more like those in the aquatints above.

Fo7QT8m.jpg

(In slightly worn, but original paint finish).

I think the Tri-ang ones better represent regular crews of that era, while the Airfix top hat crew are more than likely correct for the Rainhill Trials.

23 minutes ago, LU Standard Stock said:

I think the Tri-ang ones better represent regular crews of that era, while the Airfix top hat crew are more than likely correct for the Rainhill Trials.

ISTR reading somewhere that the Kitmaster crew was copied off a photograph or film taken at the 100th Anniversary of people on the footplate (not actually the crew). Possibly mentioned in the book about the Kitmaster range.

The replica used was this one I think.

Im1929v147-p593.jpg

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Robert_Stephenson_and_Co:_Rocket

Jason

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Yes, that thought did cross my mind!

Doesn't it though?  Yippee.

07d1f83026f797b1b2339e82c1baf1e9c6952783.jpg.ffb8cb406830adb2e752aa59c07a1562.jpg

For the kids' market, rather than the Steampunk range, how about re-visiting the Triang penchant for animated sets ..... 

CFY2soVXIAA6C_T.jpg.0793da4dc331373bc40abf8cd2478de2.jpg

I wonder how much potential (i.e. sales) there is for early railways? Following Rocket (which I understand never worked on the L&M for that long in its original form) then Lion  would be a good one - not least as it spans many eras and doubtless has a following. Given that no-one really thought that 009 would take off so, maybe, just maybe? Or, a really long shot would be GWR broad gauge RTR (never happen in my lifetime). Ah, such wishful thinking

4 hours ago, Denbridge said:

Well of course they are going to get as much cash out of it as possible. They are a business and not making things for the fun of it.

Thanks Mr Obvious for pointing that one out. I was in fact Addressing Mr Honesttoms concern of not getting a set. I wonder why I am even replying to this.

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, Mel_H said:

I wonder how much potential (i.e. sales) there is for early railways? Following Rocket (which I understand never worked on the L&M for that long in its original form) then Lion  would be a good one - not least as it spans many eras and doubtless has a following. Given that no-one really thought that 009 would take off so, maybe, just maybe? Or, a really long shot would be GWR broad gauge RTR (never happen in my lifetime). Ah, such wishful thinking

Hi Mel,

I like the idea of the early railways with locomotives such of Rocket, Northumbrian, Planet and Lion etc. What does interest me is that a full scale length train would fit into a small space quite easily.

Here are my static efforts from Dapol Rocket kits and Keysers Matero coaches:

DSCF0306.JPG.7800904048cdac12fdef8d4d3835821c.JPG

Rocket

DSCF0307.JPG.f2300ca437453c69e768ce11dd7dd45c.JPG

Northumbrian.

Gibbo.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

2 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Mel,

I like the idea of the early railways with locomotives such of Rocket, Northumbrian, Planet and Lion etc. What does interest me is that a full scale length train would fit into a small space quite easily.

Here are my static efforts from Dapol Rocket kits and Keysers Matero coaches:

DSCF0306.JPG.7800904048cdac12fdef8d4d3835821c.JPG

Rocket

DSCF0307.JPG.f2300ca437453c69e768ce11dd7dd45c.JPG

Northumbrian.

Gibbo.

Very fine indeed!

• Thanks 1