New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

13 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

are the images showing Rocket as being too orange in shade?

I wasn't around in 1830 and even if I was, I'm not sure how accurately I'd remember the shade of yellow used on Rocket. :-)

I agree that I'd expect the colour of the locomotive to match the coaches and the image in the first post looks as though the locomotive is much more orange than the coaches.  However, Graham's photographs in the third post look to indicate a locomotive where the colour match between locomotive and coaches is quite good and definitely yellow.

This doesn't go with any of my post-privatisation era modelling, but I did vote for Rocket in the Quirky Poll on this website, so may just go out and buy this.  I've always been fascinated by how small these pioneer locomotives are relative to the rest of my collection.

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Problem is they are all unique examples that wouldn't be seen together so you are instantly into freelance modelling ;) There are now some nice 3D prints appearing on Shapeways that do allow other stock to be made easily that will go with this.

Quite a lot of options here on Newmans Miniatures page

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/newman-miniatures?section=00+Models&s=0

Hi Paul,

I've had a good mooch around what is available and I'm impressed !

There is a chance that once I've got on with some other bits and bobs I shall be acquiring various items. One thing I have noted is that to build a coach requires two separate prints for the body and the chassis which ends up considerably more expensive than a locomotive print which is unusual.

Thanks for the tip.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, CF MRC said:

If the model is accurate in the bodywork, then a conversion to P4 or EM FS would really make the engine ‘look right’ wrt to the wheels and the boiler; it would appear more ‘planted’. The traction in P4 would also be rather better as there would be less sideways slop between wheel and rail.  The front wheels on Rocket are very characteristic and would benefit from a carefully modelled representation.  I feel a project coming on...

Lion would also be a no-brainer, for all sorts of reasons.

Tim

Looking at the Hatton’s video, it clearly has potential.  There is probably split frame pick up. Perhaps the DCC chip is in the barrel?

Tim

• RMweb Gold

Im confused, between the two Rocket packs are they the same models apart from maybe coach names or just different packaging.

i read the description of “true 1/76th”  somewhere so i wondered if the original was not and thats the one in the trix packaging.

Thanks in advance.

13 minutes ago, Garry D100 said:

Im confused, between the two Rocket packs are they the same models apart from maybe coach names or just different packaging.

i read the description of “true 1/76th”  somewhere so i wondered if the original was not and thats the one in the trix packaging.

Thanks in advance.

Same loco model, coaches with different names, different packaging (one with a numbered certificate)

Both are 1:76. Not sure what you mean by "the original...and thats the one in the trix packaging" though.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, truffy said:

Same loco model, coaches with different names, different packaging (one with a numbered certificate)

Both are 1:76. Not sure what you mean by "the original...and thats the one in the trix packaging" though.

Thanks.

because of the statement true 1/76th it made me wonder if the original trix release wasnt and that was the version in the trix pack

Of course Der Adler is still a Stephenson loco, a 'Patentee', very useful for early railways. I've never had one to measure so I can't verify the scale of Trix's model but given it's age it wouldn't surprise if it were somewhat larger in scale than true 1:87.

Despite the then new, smaller motor, Tri-ang's original Rocket actually had an inverted 'U' shape boiler to accommofdate the chassis and motor.

Edited by BernardTPM

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, CF MRC said:

Looking at the Hatton’s video, it clearly has potential.  There is probably split frame pick up. Perhaps the DCC chip is in the barrel?

Tim

Yep, definitely wires between Loco and tender so hopefully eight wheel pick up also.

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Yes the original was overscale to accommodate the motor, not sure what the percentage is. I’ve ordered the set so I’ll pop them side by side :) 

Thanks very much, thats what i was wondering .

i had already ordered the non limited pack but ive ordered the limited triang pack now too, seems to be selling fast

• RMweb Gold
On 23/12/2019 at 16:17, Phil Parker said:

Don’t forget…what you vote for must be items you would realistically wish to buy at some time in the future.

1 hour ago, Dungrange said:

This doesn't go with any of my post-privatisation era modelling, but I did vote for Rocket in the Quirky Poll on this website, so may just go out and buy this.  

It's in the rules. Looks like you MUST buy one now! ;)

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

It's in the rules. Looks like you MUST buy one now! ;)

I just have. Went with the Triang set. Not that I'm a collector of them, just that it might have better names on the carriages.

If you are looking for them. Have a search as some places are sold out whilst others aren't offering the "normal" 10% discount.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

Regarding the coach names, the promotional images show the regular versions to be "Despatch", "Experience", and "Times". I wonder if this isn't a mistake and the two sets of coaches haven't been swapped around, as these were the names used for the Tri-ang coaches.

I've been looking for an original Triang Rocket train pack, but they are very few and far between. So it's R.3809 for me, a new "Tri-ang Railways" branded model in 2020. It might be 100 years since the first Hornby "Raylo" train, but for me it's to celebrate 70 years of Rovex producing toy trains - Yippee!! And also a look-alike set harking back to the original 1950 Rovex boxed set. How wonderful to see that Hornby Hobbies are acknowledging their Rovex Scale Models heritage in such a great way.

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

Regarding the coach names, the promotional images show the regular versions to be "Despatch", "Experience", and "Times". I wonder if this isn't a mistake and the two sets of coaches haven't been swapped around, as these were the names used for the Tri-ang coaches.

The Hattons video shows one coach to be named "Globe", so it does look like the Tri-ang set will have different coach names to those in the regular set.

7 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

True, but my point still stands.  Where are the era 1 layouts?

Also many of the early prototypes had similarities making them bashable.

Try Railway Modeller Sept  1975 (I was just being born!) Very nice P4 Stockton and Darlington layout built by the Darlington MRC. There’s also a second version built by the same club at the Head of Steam museum.