New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

5 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Me. I'd also like it in steampunk guise please. (Reader of my blog today will be rolling their eyes completely unsurprised).

Its not a very good copy, where's the Heavy Duty Ramming Spike?  :crazy:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Me. I'd also like it in steampunk guise please. (Reader of my blog today will be rolling their eyes completely unsurprised).

Could we maybe split the difference and have it in its (weathered?) Brampton Railway form and livery, as prior to preservation? (We can guess and base it on its current state if not known.) With some suitable wagons. You could stick some goggled travellers into them if you wished.

I appreciate it would therefore qualify as a Stinking Industrial, but, nonetheless... :onthequiet:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Looking at the boxed set again strikes me those three downward yellow stick like parts presumably on both sides of the coaches are going to very fragile, even more so with the brittle plastic Hornbys supplier seem to favour, unless they are metal.

Otherwise known as foot steps...

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Looking at the boxed set again strikes me those three downward yellow  stick like parts presumably on both sides of the coaches are going to very fragile

2 hours ago, Coppercap said:

Otherwise known as foot steps...

Perhaps the reason Huskisson fell onto the track in front of Rocket?

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Perhaps the reason Huskisson fell onto the track in front of Rocket?

No he was standing in the six foot, trying to talk to the Duke, holding onto an open door that got ripped off throwing him under the wheels. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

No he was standing in the six foot, trying to talk to the Duke, holding onto an open door that got ripped off throwing him under the wheels. 

Except the distance between the tracks on the L&M wasn't even six feet - had it been, when the door he was hanging on to got opened to allow him to get on, Rocket may not have actually hit it, knocking him off it onto the track.

16 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

It's a generic term I think. Like the term 4 foot being used for the track gauge even if it is 4ft 8.5"

13 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Yes it’s just the term for between a pair of lines ;)  On many parts of the network of today you wouldn’t be able to open a door fully without hitting an adjacent train. 

I was just pointing out the fact that the tracks were much closer together on the L&M then than modern tracks.

Edited by Coppercap

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

It's a generic term I think. Like the term 4 foot being used for the track gauge even if it is 4ft 8.5"

Same in Ireland where as NIR and Irish Rail refer to the five foot, when it is really five foot three.

On 06/01/2020 at 12:39, No Decorum said:

Hornby has shown it can do small with the Ruston. I wonder if there will be a DCC socket and space for a speaker in the lead coach.

Surely it should be a loud hailer in the leading coach?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Coppercap said:

I know, I was just pointing out the fact that the tracks were much closer together on the L&M then than modern tracks.

I’m not sure they were really that different as some of their stock seems to have a similar overhang.

I have ordered an R3809 Stephenson's Rocket Train Pack, Centenary Year Limited Edition from my local model railway shop. The manageress saw the Hornby representative last weekend who said he may not be able to supply the limited edition. If he could not he would send an R3810 L&MR Stephenson's Rocket Train Pack and there does not seem to be a problem in supplying these.

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

but there of course maybe a supply issue if the larger retailers got their orders/allocation in before

No as Hornby had allocated some to all their retailers but if they didn’t want them they were happy to cancel because many had more orders than allocation and were on a waiting list. That’s from my local shop.

• RMweb Gold

I have succumbed to the "standard" pack courtesy of Kernow. I really don't "do" 4mm but this was just too much to resist and I am very greatly looking forward to seeing it!

Perhaps they might even consider producing a proper "Lion" and "Titfield Thunderbolt" in the future?!?

Either way, well done Hornby for several glorious leaps of imagination in the new range - a real breath of fresh air.

Simon

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

The Limited edition pack did sell out within a week of its announcement. Only the smaller retailers have them available but there of course maybe a supply issue if the larger retailers got their orders/allocation in before

The 'smaller retailer' I ordered mine from reached it's allocation on the morning following the announcement! Fortunately, I ordered mine the evening before...

The launch review in Model Rail states that in the limited edition Triang boxing the coaches are more detailed. Is this the case ? I know they have different names to the main range edition but thought the contents were otherwise identical. Anybody know the truth ? 

1 minute ago, GNR Dave said:

The launch review in Model Rail states that in the limited edition Triang boxing the coaches are more detailed. Is this the case ? I know they have different names to the main range edition but thought the contents were otherwise identical. Anybody know the truth ? 

I think this would be unlikely given the small difference in price between the 2.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/01/2020 at 14:50, Talltim said:

When are Hornby doing a working Cycloped?

I understand the real one didn't work....

To be pedantic Rocket was rebuilt before delivery to the L & M.

Sorry I've arrived a bit late (nothing new there!).

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, GNR Dave said:

The launch review in Model Rail states that in the limited edition Triang boxing the coaches are more detailed. Is this the case ? 

More detailed than the Triang originals  ;) 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, GNR Dave said:

The launch review in Model Rail states that in the limited edition Triang boxing the coaches are more detailed. Is this the case ? 

More detailed than the original Triang ones, New sets are the same mouldings just different names and packaging ;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1