New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

6 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

The "apology" video might be fun, but the horizontal joint line through the water barrel is still an eyesore.

It's rather a shame and we will have to have to wait and see how much it shows on the ones delivered.  However, it is probable that a small application of an Emery board may well reduce it to more reasonable proportions.

Julian

22 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

It is available to order at Gaugemaster for example. It is after all a standard release not limited in number and no doubt will be available at most if not all Hornby sellers not just the big box shifters who everyone has ordered from, although that includes the likes of Jamlam who are asking £219.99 for it. Gaugemaster are quoting £165 which includes free next day delivery which makes it cheaper that all those people have ordered from Hattons once postage is factored in.

The standard release, is still limited in numbers, there are just more being produced than the 'limited' set, but I haven't read anywhere as to how many are being produced.

5 hours ago, mozzer models said:

New vid on youtube & Hornby are taking the Pi?? out of themselves :laugh_mini:

Well, hats to the "Signal Box" team off for admitting that the original coverage of Rocket was less than impressive and presenting an appropriate apology and a nicer, more representative sequence of the model.

Well done!

1 hour ago, phil gollin said:

The "apology" video might be fun, but the horizontal joint line through the water barrel is still an eyesore.

At "normal viewing distance" the join in the water barrel may well be less visible, it is a tiny model after all and unless you want it to be pristine, a light dusting of the tender and barrel with a dark grey weathering powder may well conceal it entirely.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I noticed the tender wheel briefly seize as it went over the crossing.

Dont think any sales will be harmed.

I would love to be in the meeting room prior to the decision to make that apology video.

It would be nice to be confidently believing theres at least one railway enthusiast in their marketing team, even if it was nothing more to set up the videos to play trains.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I noticed the tender wheel briefly seize as it went over the crossing.

On the plain track there wasn't any apparent hesitation and it didn't appear to baulk over points, so it might be a slight back to back problem where the track is infilled, as on the level crossing.  I got the impression that some of the wheels on the coaches seemed to stick slightly at the same place as the tender wheel.

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, mozzer models said:

New vid on youtube & Hornby are taking the Pi?? out of themselves :laugh_mini::diablo_mini:

LOL :)

Anyone got batteries, or a key, for the Hornby clock?   Thoroughout a five minute presentation the clock on the wall was stuck at nine o'clock.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
typo
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Anyone got batteries, or a key, for the Hornby clock?   Thoroughout a five minute presentation the clock on the wall was stuck at nine o'clock.

Are they cursed to have something not work in every video about the Rocket? :jester:

• Funny 5

It's way too late for this idea but if Hornby had made the end of the barrel as part of the top barrel moulding 

then the model might have looked like this. the red line shows where the joint would be.

rocket.jpg.8dedb7609e5fe6e2592e39128f026ae3.jpg

John 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

Another idea wold be to have the barrel end removable (clipped in or magnetic) so that the PCB could be pulled out to fit a decoder. Not just the side but the end of the barrel too. The black strap of the ring would help conceal the join and there would be no need for the crack in the barrel.

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Another idea wold be to have the barrel end removable (clipped in or magnetic) so that the PCB could be pulled out to fit a decoder. Not just the side but the end of the barrel too. The black strap of the ring would help conceal the join and there would be no need for the crack in the barrel.

But you end up with a mould line around the middle and the hollow is smaller as it can only be the diameter of the end as the insert pin can’t expand inside! Thicker walls in the bulge would also be a likely place for slump as the plastic cooled ;)

Hornby know their moulding technology :)

The best idea I’ve seen so far is the whole end being part of the top or bottom half but it’s not going to change as they are imminent. 

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

The best idea I’ve seen so far is the whole end being part of the top or bottom half but it’s not going to change as they are imminent. 

Too late now, we know, but knowing what happened after the criticism over the Terrier tank tops, Hornby will probably re-tool Rocket's tender barrel for the second batch...

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Coppercap said:

Too late now, we know, but knowing what happened after the criticism over the Terrier tank tops, Hornby will probably re-tool Rocket's tender barrel for the second batch...

And get rid of those grooved planks as well!

I've never seen a barrel like that.

medium_DS050025.jpg

4 minutes ago, melmerby said:

And get rid of those grooved planks as well!

I've never seen a barrel like that.

medium_DS050025.jpg

I suppose it's just to give the impression of planks instead of looking too plain - they could have been much less pronounced though.

More noticeable is the fact that the replica Rocket (as at Rainhill 150) appeared there with a yellow barrel, and bare wood driving wheels (I think they had problems with the driving wheels, and had to make a new set), and different trailing wheels to those fitted now. The sectioned Rocket in the NRM has a yellow barrel and yellow driving wheels. The working loco's since been rebuilt and the trailing wheels now have more spokes (as modelled by Hornby). I expect we'll see some modellers variations in due course.. 

Wonder if there is  a suitable wooden barrel amongst these that could be adopted

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=barrel&PN=caldercraft86012.html#SID=146

On crazy prices there is this lot whoever they may be seeking £249 for the standard release

https://www.railwaymodelstore.co.uk/Hornby-oo-gauge-train-packs-l-mr-stephensons-rocket-train-pack-era-1/

44 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

Looks like the barrel should be bauxite brown like the LSWR Warner brake van.  I will have to get my paint brush out if I ever get  a model of the Rocket and ruin its second hand value.

I think it's just dirty/weathered.

At Rainhill / Rocket 150 the barrel was yellow. Now it's nearly black. Seems more darkened wood than paint though.

Some photos of it here from the recent Rocket 190.

https://www.sthelens-connect.net/forums/topic/95758-rainhill-rocket-190-celebrations/

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1