New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Vistisen said:

You do realise that this is a painting done over the course of weeks, in an room probably miles from the location and not a doctored photo?

If he could paint that fast on an operational railway in 1829 he must have been good.

However my thoughts still stand.

The image is conveying a message, not a historical record.

Was it even painted in 1829 ? (Ive no idea, but could guess it was years later perhaps).

Edited by adb968008

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

If he could paint that fast on an operational railway in 1829 he must have been good.

However my thoughts still stand.

The image is conveying a message, not a historical record.

Was it even painted in 1829 ? (Ive no idea, but could guess it was years later perhaps).

The painter, Alan Fearnley, was only born in 1942...

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

think mine will have a yellow box if it has not sold out but the coaches will have different names to my 1982 Rocket which was in a brown box.  

If I get a new 'Rocket' I don't know what to do with the old one.  There is not enough room in my flat for both and my layout will look a bit odd with two 'Rockets'. I am justifying one as a preserved locomotive running on a preserved railway as I don't want to start a pioneering railway, 

If it will run on 15" curves it could be the motive power for a compact layout to take in the back of my car. If I kept both I could conduct the Rainhill Trials with the old and new 'Rockets'.  I wonder if the old one would win with magnadhesion on steel track.

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

My coach arrived from Newman Miniatures on Shape ways. 
I chose the higher grade plastic and it’s a lovely print with the buffers attached underneath. Off to find a good paint match 

Were the opens yellow? The NRMs replica is blue, and I'm sure that barrel beside being brown/black seems to have a greater taper on it than that of the model, and look at that weathering needed to the chimney!

Rocket_Tyseley_(3).jpg

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Were the opens yellow? The NRMs replica is blue, and I'm sure that barrel beside being brown/black seems to have a greater taper on it than that of the model, and look at that weathering needed to the chimney!

Rocket_Tyseley_(3).jpg

I don't know the colour of the Seconds. Could the ones which I think are now in Shildon be painted the right colour? Red and yellow.

Replica_Rocket_and_coach.jpg

The Third above seems to be something like light teal. The Seconds had seats.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

5 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

Replying to Butler Henderson's post I don't know what colour the open coach was but the roof on the yellow coach named Huskisson is white whereas the roofs on the model coaches are black.  Looks like I am going to have to get my paintbrush out.

Worry not. The roofs are white. It is difficult to see if looking at them in the box.

Jason

7 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

Replying to Butler Henderson's post I don't know what colour the open coach was but the roof on the yellow coach named Huskisson is white whereas the roofs on the model coaches are black.  Looks like I am going to have to get my paintbrush out.

Hi Robin,

Coach roofs would have been covered in canvas painted with white lead to waterproof them in the same way that BR goods vans were built 120 years later.

Gibbo.

Hi Folks,

The Ackermann long prints of the L&MR shew both green and blue open carriages and the locomotives are shewn either a wood brown colour or green to match the tenders and the carriages. The picture may be found near the bottom of the linked page:

https://www.scienceandindustrymuseum.org.uk/objects-and-stories/making-the-liverpool-and-manchester-railway#&gid=1&pid=1

Who is going to repaint a yellow carriage into a red mail coach ?

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The blue livery is attested by the first (1831) edition of the well-known Ackermann lithographs:

662730093_Ackermann1831passengerextract.jpg.97a8962c396f304ffca8f24abfb6a3f3.jpg

Of course how accurately this contemporary illustration is is open to debate, given that it was hand-coloured in London. LNWR Liveries states that the L&M second class carriages were blue but gives no source. L&B seconds were green and that settled down as the standard colour for thirds until the 1860s.

Edit: overlapped with @Gibbo675. Beware that the version in his link is an 1894 reproduction of the 1831 Ackermann lithograph. There were subsequent editions in 1833 and 1834 that have interesting differences - whether they reflect increasing drift from reality or changing contemporary practice is open to debate. I discussed these a while ago, in relation to a silk map that drew on them:

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 20/02/2020 at 19:48, Pre Grouping fan said:

Credit where credits due to Hornby with this pack. 

Ouple of quick shots just put of the box, a word of warning about the loco-tender wires, they are very fine and probably very fragile. There's a real sense of quality and finesse looking all over it and the coaches. 

IMG_20200220_194516.jpg.07e99827d7e3e5dbe20882ba50e1ecf7.jpg

• Agree 1

A couple of pictures to compare my 1982 'Rocket' set with my new limited edition set that I bought from the Swanage Station shop. Mine is 0310 out of 1500. The new one has a white chimney which was silver on the old one, the coaches have white roofs; not black, the locomotive is a paler shade of yellow and the coaches are primrose rather than orangy yellow.  The new one is much more delicate and finely modelled and the locomotive wheel tyres are black instead of nickel silver.  The locomotive and tender are wired together so you have to be careful removing them from the box.  It is unlikely that the 'Rocket' went on the Swanage Railway as it had been moved to the Science Museum over twenty years before the Swanage Railway opened. The replica could visit the Swanage Railway in future.

P1090702.JPG

P1090703.JPG

• Like 4

The Ackermann lithographs have to be treated with a certain amount of suspicion, as some of them have some known errors. For example, this one assigns the name Jupiter to the loco hauling the first class train, but, in reality, Jupiter (as the name suggests) was a Planet class 2-2-0, not an 0-4-0 as depicted here. The top loco looks closest to the Samson 0-4-0 class, but, if that is what it's supposed to be, it's not a very good rendering of it.

Having said that, the colours are probably at least the right part of the spectrum, if not the precise shade, as there is other evidence for that. And one thing that Ackermann has probably also got right here is depicting a Rocket class on secondary duties - within a couple of years of the Rainhill trials, technology had already moved on considerably.

854946512.jpg

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

That's still the 1894 reprint you've posted. The 1831 original is much bluer. The 1833 edition sees some changes, whilst by the 1834 edition, there's been rather more revision, with engines swapped around. The carriages with the scalloped sides, that first appear in the 1833 edition, also appear seen nearly end on in one of the T.T. Bury lithographs, that I can't just now find a copy of to link to. The Ackermann "long" prints were first produced as fold-outs from the book of T.T. Bury views with text by G. Ottley that Ackermann published in 1831, with a second edition in 1833. The long prints don't appear to be by Bury but by another artist, I. Shaw, though possibly he was the engraver.

4 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

My coach arrived from Newman Miniatures on Shape ways. 
I chose the higher grade plastic and it’s a lovely print with the buffers attached underneath. Off to find a good paint match :) 

Glad you're pleased with the model & thanks for posting.  Would you mind my sharing your photo?

I look forward to seeing it all painted up.  :)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Received mine today and what a model! Yes, I’ve already managed to damage the wires between loco and tender and will fix them again in due course, but otherwise what a lovely set. would love to weight the front of the tender slightly, will investigate in due course!

Nice touch coming in a brown cardboard outer like old Triang locos.