New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

3 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

:blinkclear: it was just a quip based on the quoted typo . . .

Not everything needs to exercise the comfy cushions . .

Of course not. Typed in jest (and I'm in no way an expert on the matter!)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I don't preorder items so don't know all the ins and outs of it. But I imagine if the shops preorder 100 items to match the orders plus an extra couple, is there a percentage that normally drops out once they come into stock, or do you pay in advance.? Could it be that this time everyone wanted their loco, leaving the shop with very little wriggle room to supply everyone's order? 

I won't mention names to spare them embarrassment but a shop I know ordered a few of the Bachmann cranes on the basis of preorder requests he had. However the price caused some to cancel resulting in more cranes than they realistically want. And he needs to pay Bachmann for them and hope to get them sold rather than be shelf warmers for the next few years. To be honest running a shop must be hard work I couldn't do it 

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, PM47079 said:

I don't preorder items so don't know all the ins and outs of it. But I imagine if the shops preorder 100 items to match the orders plus an extra couple, is there a percentage that normally drops out once they come into stock, or do you pay in advance.? Could it be that this time everyone wanted their loco, leaving the shop with very little wriggle room to supply everyone's order? 

I won't mention names to spare them embarrassment but a shop I know ordered a few of the Bachmann cranes on the basis of preorder requests he had. However the price caused some to cancel resulting in more cranes than they realistically want. And he needs to pay Bachmann for them and hope to get them sold rather than be shelf warmers for the next few years. To be honest running a shop must be hard work I couldn't do it 

This post deserves a wider audience.Thank you for posting what for some is the unwelcome truth.Good for you.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I agree totally.

Just that the above email is one sent out where there hasn't even been a problem to what I expect to be a handful of customers. Now if Hattons have to send out emails when a model might be delayed because the boat is late (for example), they would be sending out thousands a day.

The same if I order something from Amazon. I don't expect a "nice" email if it's out of stock. I just want a refund.

If you want the personal touch then use smaller suppliers, if you aren't bothered then use the big boys.

Jason

Completely baffled by your response !

"Just that the above email is one sent out where there hasn't even been a problem to what I expect to be a handful of customers".

On what possible evidence do you make these two amazing statements?

Please explain - OK, so I'm thick!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Wonder how many people placed orders with more than one supplier as per this youtuber

And another failed Hornby decoder.

After seeing the couplings in this video, I'm surprised they did not use actually chain link couplings.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I assume the supplied couplings are designed to work with set-track curves. Actual chains might cause problems on them, and be even harder to fit.

The instructions on R3809 say " This locomotive should not be operated on track curves of less than 438mm radius, which is Hornby 2nd radius track." 

On page 52 of the Hornby catalogue it says that the production version R3810 will run on Hornby 1st radius +/ 371mm+. 

The 'Rocket' set does not buffer lock on train set curves when reversing and I think both sets would work on 1st radius curves.

• Informative/Useful 1

Well I noticed last night a wire has come away from the solder under the tender it was while I was adding the figures.

It didn't happen as I struggled to fit the DCC chip because I tested it afterwards.

Unfortunately I don't own a soldering iron and haven't done any soldering since secondary school nearly 2 decades ago.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, mckinneyc said:

Unfortunately I don't own a soldering iron and haven't done any soldering since secondary school nearly 2 decades ago.

It's never too late to learn new skills, or re learn old ones.

Why not buy a soldering  iron and follow some of the excellent tutorials on YouTube.

PS Don't burn your fingers!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Mines run on 1st radius curves (courtesy of the Christmas set) with no issues. The couplers did prove tricky at first to get set up (10 minutes to put the train together first time around) but after some flash was cleaned off its now an easy process. 

Actual chain couplings would be nice, but I imagine for a RTR model you need to factor in the ability of everyone who will buy your product. 

53 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Why not buy a soldering  iron and follow some of the excellent tutorials on YouTube.

Steady Colin,

You Tube videos haven't been peer reviewed and we know where that might lead !!!

Gibbo.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Wonder how many people placed orders with more than one supplier as per this youtuber

Is it just me, or is there something particularly mesmerising about a single-wheel with outside motion?  I found the same with the Stirling Single.  I could almost watch it for ever.

I really hope I eventually get one that works like this, then I will be very happy! 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I was always careful although I do recall a fella in school getting liquid solder in the corner of his eye!

I've contacted Hornby regarding returning it for a repair but failing that my colleague had a soldering iron I can lend or he said he'd do it for me. 

Not much work involved, just heating the solder and popping the wire back.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

He should be getting a visit from the Rivet Police shortly (when they have dealt with the backlog caused by all these Hornby Rockets)!

2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I consider a soldering to be essential in this hobby.

It is not difficult but it does take practise to do it tidily

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I consider a soldering to be essential in this hobby.

It is not difficult but it does take practise to do it tidily

Problem is a new “solderer” could easily solder all those joints together in one go! :o

• Agree 5

47 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Problem is a new “solderer” could easily solder all those joints together in one go! :o

Indeed they should get comfortable with the skill first before attempting tiny places.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

He should be getting a visit from the Rivet Police shortly (when they have dealt with the backlog caused by all these Hornby Rockets)!

Good luck to him. He is enjoying himself.

Seen comments on youtube re failing Hornby decoders running hot to the point that at least two Rockets have suffered melted water barrels. If it had been a Bachmann model no doubt it would have a Next 18 socket which would be far better, understand such are available as described in this thread

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/114341-source-of-socket-for-next-18-dcc-decoders/

7 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Indeed they should get comfortable with the skill first before attempting tiny places.

Exactly.

At the club this evening, we needed to solder some DIN plugs for Gaugemaster controllers. I find these very fiddly so I did it myself.

The other week, we needed to solder some droppers on to the test track on the O & OO loops. I did the OO & left the larger O for someone who was less confident.

After doing most of the droppers on that loop, they are now more comfortable with an iron.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I think I'll put my decoder in the first coach. Sounds a lot simpler and gives more options of decoder.

Now how to disguise the cables.

Perhaps two together can be made to look like coupling chains, and have my pick up from the coach wheels.

Perhaps have the motor in the coach.  

Back to the think tank for more pondering.