New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

11 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Seen comments on youtube re failing Hornby decoders running hot to the point that at least two Rockets have suffered melted water barrels. If it had been a Bachmann model no doubt it would have a Next 18 socket which would be far better, understand such are available as described in this thread

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/114341-source-of-socket-for-next-18-dcc-decoders/

Now that does concern me as I have the Hornby decoder on order. Thanks for the heads-up.

I will test very cautiously and ensure all wires are present and correct.

Might see about modifying and ESU nano type decoder instead.

45 minutes ago, Opelsi said:

Now that does concern me as I have the Hornby decoder on order. Thanks for the heads-up.

I will test very cautiously and ensure all wires are present and correct.

Might see about modifying and ESU nano type decoder instead.

A version of the ESU comes with a harness, so should plug in as the Hornby one does.

Julian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

They fit in N gauge locos so the barrel should be large enough

Yes and the decoder dimensions will fit in the 11x18mm size of the opening in the barrel. What worries me is when it’s plugged into a socket will it be too tall. The smallest I’ve found is 3mm tall and the socket will add another 2mm so you’ll need a 9.5mm x 13mm x 5.5mm space it’s going to be very close as the barrel curves in. The short er length might mean it will just fit but it also means wiring in the socket which may be difficult for many. 
C83231FF-B3B4-4010-A4ED-97C2A45953FF.jpeg.3939cbc4debe57d7952ae94f57bdede1.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Informative/Useful 2

Seems to be the answer to fitting a decoder in the barrel that is not going to melt it or which is going to need additional connectivity parts is simply to remove the socket and its pcb and hard wire in one of a number of small decoders such a  Zimo MX617F which is cheaper than the Hornby potential fireball.  Or is there something on the pcb that has to be retained?

• Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, dunbar112 said:

Hopefully will get my model when the 'ordinary rocket' is released this month....given the possible problems with the Hornby decoder are there othe 6 pin that will fit?

Sadly, not anymore. Just recieved an email from Hattons saying Hornby is pushing the 'ordinary Rocket' to May release

1 hour ago, Ribird said:

Sadly, not anymore. Just recieved an email from Hattons saying Hornby is pushing the 'ordinary Rocket' to May release

Because of the current health crisis and its impact on both manufacturing and exporting goods, before everyone starts slagging Hornby off :)

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Because of the current health crisis and its impact on both manufacturing and exporting goods, before everyone starts slagging Hornby off :)

Oh, wasn't saying anything about Hornby, this health crisis is a big deal and is affecting everything! Maybe they will have a chance to fix some of the issues with the Rockets?

1 minute ago, Ribird said:

Oh, wasn't saying anything about Hornby, this health crisis is a big deal and is affecting everything! Maybe they will have a chance to fix some of the issues with the Rockets?

Didn't say you were personally, but a trawl round the net shows idiots castigating manufacturers and retailers over the smallest of things. I imagine manufacture is complete and shipping is the hold up. 

48 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Me too.

My layout is DCC but Rocket would look a bit silly on that, so I don't really see the point of chipping it.

And if you do go DCC, don't you have to fit lots of bright lights at both ends?

• Funny 3

On 27/02/2020 at 19:32, Nile said:

FYI:

Loco front axle diameter = 2mm , rear axle = 1.5mm

Tender - distance between axleguards = 21.5mm

Coach -        "            "               "          = 21.3mm

more

The coach wheels are on 24.1mm axles.

Apologies - I should have posted a "thank you" for this information.

Another query - has anyone looked at the motor in their Rocket and can it be identified as one of the standard Chinese ones, e.g an N10?

TIA again!

Stan

1 minute ago, gc4946 said:

Hornby's revised the expected date for R3810 to "Spring 2020"

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/l-mr-stephenson-s-rocket-train-pack-era-1.html

I indeed. May according to an earlier post.

I am surprised because I was told 'in about 2 weeks' at ModelRail Scotland. This was not word of mouth, it was Hornby staff & I never even asked them for a guess of when.

I am surprised they would offer information like this without being quite certain about it.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Denbridge said:

Or more likely Hornby are waiting until the 1st and 2nd deliveries are received before any are distributed to direct purchases or retailers. That way they have enough stock on hand to meet all the pre-orders without anyone receiving fewer than they've ordered, not disadvantaging any retailers. Patience, my little one :)

According to a posting on the parallel thread re issues with Hattons they are coming in one delivery this week but then will be checked by Hornby.  There also a limit to the number of parcels they can dispatch each day which presumably explains why  Hattons or another box shifter is slow on getting a specific model. In terms of keeping retailers in business it would be logical to supply the lesser known ones first rather than their customers buying elsewhere because it was already available. 

• Like 1

Time to ask a serious q or two now.

When the "real replica" (if you see what I mean) ventured onto BR, for the 1980 Rainhill parade etc, did it carry head & tail lamps (as everything should)? Also, what couplings were used between loco & coaches? I presume not strong rope!

Stewart

2 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Time to ask a serious q or two now.

When the "real replica" (if you see what I mean) ventured onto BR, for the 1980 Rainhill parade etc, did it carry head & tail lamps (as everything should)? Also, what couplings were used between loco & coaches? I presume not strong rope!

Stewart

I think they didn't bother with head lamp and tail lamps in the parade. There is a BBC documentary rocket 150 which shows the parade which should help. From what I can recall replica Rocket and the carriages have chain link couplings. When Lion ran on the mainline I don't believe head lamps were used and the tail lamp was hung off the rear buffer beam hook https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p011vfz4/the-great-railway-cavalcade-rocket-150-at-rainhill

https://images.app.goo.gl/9PhRhLkvmXyk3jnS8

Edited by banburysaint
  • Thanks 1

As of 1st March, we're in Meterological Spring, Astronomical Spring begins on the 20th March.  So taking which one you will, "Spring 2020" is here already!

Hornby stated in the Engine Shed blog for 31st January*, "As mentioned previously, both train packs are in transit, with R3809 due to land on these shores in the second week of February and R3810 following a couple of weeks later.", which coincides with the information reportedly given out by Hornby at ModelRail Scotland.

As R3809 has been in the wild since mid-February, R3810 should have been in Hornbys hands by now. Given the problems that have affected some recipients of the Centenary Pack, it could be that Hornby are sampling the standard Rocket Pack as a quality check. It might also be that some standard packs have been diverted to provide spare locomotives to replace failed Centenary pack locos.  Wether any Standard Pack pre-orders are disappointed  depends on how many were produced, how many are required to replace failed Centenary locos and how many fail quality control!

With the current health crisis, there's no chance of getting any replacements from China any time soon, so we'll just have to wait and see.

And be patient.

* https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/Hornby-2020-stephensons-rocket

Edited by Hroth
Tidying up...