New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

On 05/03/2020 at 08:22, Opelsi said:

Now that does concern me as I have the Hornby decoder on order. Thanks for the heads-up.

I will test very cautiously and ensure all wires are present and correct.

Might see about modifying and ESU nano type decoder instead.

On 05/03/2020 at 08:34, Butler Henderson said:

They fit in N gauge locos so the barrel should be large enough

On 05/03/2020 at 09:09, jcredfer said:

A version of the ESU comes with a harness, so should plug in as the Hornby one does.

Julian

On 05/03/2020 at 09:36, PaulRhB said:

Yes and the decoder dimensions will fit in the 11x18mm size of the opening in the barrel. What worries me is when it’s plugged into a socket will it be too tall. The smallest I’ve found is 3mm tall and the socket will add another 2mm so you’ll need a 9.5mm x 13mm x 5.5mm space it’s going to be very close as the barrel curves in. The short er length might mean it will just fit but it also means wiring in the socket which may be difficult for many. 
C83231FF-B3B4-4010-A4ED-97C2A45953FF.jpeg.3939cbc4debe57d7952ae94f57bdede1.jpeg

Just looked at an ESU LokPilot Micro V4 [54689] which is a 'Next 18' with a decoder harness ESU [51993] and it fits the barrel lid so should be ok.

First off need to find out which way around the decoder should sit in the harness then the bit I am really not looking forward to, working out which wires on the harness connect to the six wires feeding the existing Hornby 6 pin socket and...… the soldering!

IMG_6079 (2).JPG

IMG_6080 (2).JPG

IMG_6081.JPG

IMG_6082 (2).JPG

• Like 1

On 23/03/2020 at 13:39, Killian keane said:

now which brave soul is going to add a smokebox?

2020-03-20-19-45-16.png

WHEN I get my R3810 pack, its going to remain unmolested.  However, I've got a Dapol Rocket kit which I'm going to lower the cylinders, put a new front end on and so forth.  Paint it green and call it Northumbrian!

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've got a Dapol Rocket kit which I'm going to lower the cylinders, put a new front end on and so forth.  Paint it green and call it Northumbrian!

Strictly speaking Northumbrian had very different frames, firebox and tender so it might be easier to use the Northumbrian 3D kit.  Nice idea though anyway.

• Agree 1

If you really must have the limited edition pack.....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hornby-R3809-Centenary-2020-Stephensons-Rocket-train-Limited-edition-Pack-BNIB/223959257372?hash=item342503111c:g:J3kAAOSwi6BefrBX

They will post overseas!!

These guys have prices beyond rrp, but they are still in business, and gather good feedback.

cheers from Fortress WestOz,

Peter C.

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, 45568 said:

If you really must have the limited edition pack.....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hornby-R3809-Centenary-2020-Stephensons-Rocket-train-Limited-edition-Pack-BNIB/223959257372?hash=item342503111c:g:J3kAAOSwi6BefrBX

They will post overseas!!

These guys have prices beyond rrp, but they are still in business, and gather good feedback.

cheers from Fortress WestOz,

Peter C.

I like reading descriptions...

reading the description occasionally gives an insight into the souls of the seller.

few words.. they dont care.

lots of words, they care too much.

but occasionally you find those that on reading you just think eeeysh.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I like reading descriptions...

reading the description occasionally gives an insight into the souls of the seller.

few words.. they dont care.

lots of words, they care too much.

but occasionally you find those that on reading you just think eeeysh.

Hi There,

I thought of this quote from a piece I read recently:

"The myths of endless capitalistic expansion, the annexed idolatry of the invisible hand of the market, and the very visible promotion of unrestrained consumerism cause many to believe that consumerism is the son of advertising, it actually isn’t. The explosion of advertising follows from a value system in which man identifies himself with the objects he owns – though, in reality, these objects own him." 

That said you are not at all wrong in saying, "eeeysh"

Gibbo.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a scan Hornby didn't use:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/stephensons-rocket-09d73611eeda4aa7a4f3643766b340da

This 3D model of Rocket was produced using 22 high resolution LIDAR scans and over 2,500 detailed photographs taken in May 2018. More information on how the Science Museum Group worked with ScanLAB to create the model can be found in the Science Museum Group Digital Lab website.

Edited by autocoach
clarity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Seastar_44 said:

Any news on Rails distributing their R3810's?

I don't think any retailers have R3810 in stock, yet.

As I understand, Hornby have most of the R3810 sets in the warehouse and are awaiting delivery of the final batch "in May", proposing to deliver the lot to retailers once Hornby have them all.  Originally, the R3810 sets were due to arrive just after the Limited R3809 set but other things got in the way....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Email received on Thursday from Derails.

As per our last update to you way back at the beginning of March, Hornby were previously anticipating a May release of the R3810 packs. Unfortunately we have been notified that there is a slight delay (which is totally understandable given the current circumstances) and that these packs are now due in June. We'll keep you updated if we receive any further revisions to this date, or if we get a more exact date on their arrival.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Mulderspants said:

Unfortunately we have been notified that there is a slight delay (which is totally understandable given the current circumstances) and that these packs are now due in June.

Derails are very good at keeping pre-order customers informed, unlike Rails...

• Agree 1

Did get a phone call from Kernow models last week telling me that a centenary edition wagon I had ordered had arrived, so I asked about the Rocket pack, to be told they were still outstanding.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, kernowtim said:

Did get a phone call from Kernow models last week telling me that a centenary edition wagon I had ordered had arrived, so I asked about the Rocket pack, to be told they were still outstanding.

Not just good then? :D

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Spent half an hour getting the coaches apart carefully, without damage thanks to the earlier tips in this thread, and adding figures. 
2 sets of preiser 12045

B1DF45FF-EB1A-4341-AF24-510C53D5DC7B.jpeg.b7acd4f7f5cda921f44248e8d1966889.jpeg
A hint for reassembly, put the seating insert onto the chassis, as it’s easier to locate the pins, then clip the body back onto that with your fingers in the corners of the roof and chassis. It just pops back together :) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4