New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, newbryford said:

Already showing sold out to pre-orders with some dealers...

Ebay Frenzy time again?

Not sure.. Rails has some of the Triang ones on ebay at £295, but only 2 of six have sold after a week plus...

Whilst £100 over retail, they are £100 less than the peak seen on ebay.

That being the most desirable of the pair, and this one showing some availability, plus history shows 2nd runs never being as popular.. i’m not betting my pension on it.

The first one is for collectors, the 2nd for players..I reckon there will be enough to go around now.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Not sure.. Rails has some of the Triang ones on ebay at £295, but only 2 of six have sold after a week plus...

Whilst £100 over retail, they are £100 less than the peak seen on ebay.

That being the most desirable of the pair, and this one showing some availability, plus history shows 2nd runs never being as popular.. i’m not betting my pension on it.

The first one is for collectors, the 2nd for players..I reckon there will be enough to go around now.

From a Rails email.

rocket.JPG.3b078aa595937f01e98bc95858b9f6c9.JPG

Yet on their website, it is available to pre-order

???????

11 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Yet on their website, it is available to pre-order

Completely whacky.....

Click the pre-order button and it goes into the basket!

But directly under the button in the product description is the declaration:

Pre order allocation sold **Please note we are unable to taken anymore pre orders on this item **

It must be something to do with their web software that they can't lock the button up on sold-out items that haven't even come from the manufacturer yet!  I don't know what would happen if you tried to pay for the R3810 in the basket.  I've not had the nerve to try....

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

It will be interesting to see which holds its value better in years to come.

I am not sure the collector's edition will be more sought after 20 years from now.

From a Derails email:

Yes yes, I know we've already sold out of the Rockets! But, with the spares we keep back (we don't ever sell to the limit, just in case a few of a specific model arrives damaged - it would be unfair to make you wait for a repaired one!) and any cancellations there may be a chance we have some to offer out! In that case, we'll fire out an email so keep your eyes peeled...

• RMweb Gold

I still maintain speculators may get burned.

The first one is dropping, and sticking, I reckon you’d get one of these for £250-260... they were £400 in February.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-OO-GAUGE-R3809-CENTENARY-YEAR-STEPHENSONS-ROCKET-TRAIN-PACK/203010227446?epid=2308112932&hash=item2f445a3cf6:g:ebYAAOSwkF1e1nJs

For sure there will be speculators buying R3810, but as a consumer faced with the Triang above, would you pay more for a GA release ? - I dont think so, so the upper limit is already set, probably a bit less than the above... that means the carpet baggers will be in less of a rush too... £240 is less than £400.. so down goes the spiral.

As some shops still have a few available, I think second time around there will be enough for everyone. I dont think your going to lose on it, but I dont think your going to even be filling your tank off the back of selling it.

weve seen it many times before.. Pecketts, ltd editions.. etc 2nd runs lower demand, the product afterall isn't rapidly consumed.

Ive got the first one, Ive got the second one on order to make 6 coaches, I may sell the spare Rocket...After all what will you do with 2 of them ?, the one I have will barely get used.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

....  Ive got the second one on order to make 6 coaches, I may sell the spare Rocket...

I am very surprised that Hornby aren't offering a three coach pack - there must be a very significant market of buyers who would like a longer train, but can't justify the cost of two full sets.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I am very surprised that Hornby aren't offering a three coach pack - there must be a very significant market of buyers who would like a longer train, but can't justify the cost of two full sets.

John Isherwood.

Maybe they might follow up the success of these two, not by doing a 3rd run, but perhaps tooling the open coach as a set of 3 instead ?

After-all from a cost perspective tooling an open LMR coach is a kin to a wagon or thereabouts.

They then have the tooling ready for potential re-runs at the anniversaries in 2025/29/30.

If they got very keen maybe in the future another loco and a Chaldron.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Maybe they might follow up the success of these two, not by doing a 3rd run, but perhaps tooling the open coach as a set of 3 instead ?

After-all from a cost perspective tooling an open LMR coach is a kin to a wagon or thereabouts.

They then have the tooling ready for potential re-runs at the anniversaries in 2025/29/30.

If they got very keen maybe in the future another loco and a Chaldron.

image.png.5c1ca157775f3fe8a478f1da017cf642.png

They could get a lot of inspiration from the old (Ackerman?) prints - and it'd be difficult for the pedantic to criticise the detail !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood.

My Rocket runs ok with the 3 coaches round my layout on the 4th radius curves, and that's with tweaking it so all the wheels rotate. It may cope with 4 coaches maximum, but 6 would defeat it. The layout is mostly level, with a tiny incline at one corner. If extra coach packs were available in 3s then 2 would stay in the box or go on eBay.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2020 at 20:56, Derails Models said:

Evening all! It looks like the R3810 has tripped over from "Pre-order" to "New" on Hornby.com which (usually) indicates imminent shipping!

Yes, its in the New Arrivals section on the website.

I don't know why Hornby continue with the "Coming Soon" page, as its rarely updated and never useful.

Waiting.  Just waiting.......

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

On the topic of the very first tranche of British locomotives did anyone else notice that in the recent video released by Hornby on Simon Kohler's memories of his time at there, there is a display cabinet in the background containing a number of models. The most obvious one is that of Locomotion (non working)  that Bachmann produced a few years ago. Is this 'a wink with a gatepost', as the Germans would say?!

All the best

Godfrey

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Godfrey Glyn said:

The most obvious one is that of Locomotion

It'd be interesting if Hornby did do a collection of "Early Stephenson", boxed sets like the Rocket set, but perhaps even an approximation to Locomotions motion might be a step too far.

Perhaps a Planet, or a Planet Patentee might be more doable, the Rocket motor would fit nicely in their boilers, with the decoder in the slightly bigger tenders.  They could also use the Rocket coaches, or produce the open coaches and some goods stock.  Not Stephenson, and leaping a decade onwards, how about Lion?  They could include suitable nameplates so you could have Tiger too...

But first, R3810...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1