New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Not that it’s any reason not to buy Rails’ excellent and timely announcement but were not early trains single class? 

Yes but the replicas have more often than not been seen together!

And I tiresomely repeat, Rocket in the condition modelled (the replicas being accurate representations of the Rainhill Rocket) would not have been seen pulling L&M trains of either class.

Question: of what vehicles were the Rainhill test trains composed?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

But surely that’s more useful as not many will be running the rocket on a layout based upon L&M Railway early on, most will be running alongside contemporary stock on their present layouts...…

Rocket is yellow, most of my stock is yellow...…..

;)

• Funny 9

2 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

I think there's a race on as to who will next to Lion. You have the preserved example... but Titfield will be a massive selling point to

K's won that race thirty years ago. Just need Oxford to make the OB bus in Pierce and Crump livery.

Mike Wiltshire

Lion.jpg.0cf65d06785e703c7b29ef4fa5ac29f7.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

54 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

K's won that race thirty years ago. Just need Oxford to make the OB bus in Pierce and Crump livery.

Mike Wiltshire

Lion.jpg.0cf65d06785e703c7b29ef4fa5ac29f7.jpg

Ive got a K's version but reckon a new tooled one would be a sure fire winner. Not to mention also got the matching 14xx and set which is a nice party piece on exhibition layout. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, newbryford said:

Rocket is yellow, most of my stock is yellow...…..

;)

Goes to look for my stash of Network Rail decals.....

r3810.jpg.84171afa877f33c4b3efd1eb9a877254.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

As I recall, MR did some research and concluded that coaches, and GER liveried J70s, wouldn't sell well enough to justify the initial investment. Of course, if the liveries that are produced sell well enough there's no reason why they can't do them in GER livery as well. But the coaches would still be a different thing entirely (as, for that matter, would be a G15/Y6).

If Hornby, or anyone else, does ever do a Titfield Thunderbolt themed Lion, then the coaches may well become a worthwhile adjunct, along the lines of Rails' second class L&M coaches. But you need a realistic prospect of enough customers to make the worthwhile before doing that.

• RMweb Premium

Silly thought re the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway J70 and the lack of a coach. Bachmann Thomas range is now available in the UK and they do Henrietta in that range! How bad is the model and could it be used for the basis of a Wisbech and Upwell coach for the Model Rail J70?

11 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Silly thought re the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway J70 and the lack of a coach. Bachmann Thomas range is now available in the UK and they do Henrietta in that range! How bad is the model and could it be used for the basis of a Wisbech and Upwell coach for the Model Rail J70?

I believe Simon Martin did one on Facebook, he reported that the conversion was surprisingly easy.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 26/06/2020 at 22:21, MarkSG said:

As I recall, MR did some research and concluded that coaches, and GER liveried J70s, wouldn't sell well enough to justify the initial investment. Of course, if the liveries that are produced sell well enough there's no reason why they can't do them in GER livery as well. But the coaches would still be a different thing entirely (as, for that matter, would be a G15/Y6).

I think the decision was made shortly before a couple of other manufacturers started with pre-Grouping in-service, as opposed to as-preserved, livery options.  These sell well and we've moved on from there.  The Terriers, D Class and Caley Jumbos all feature  pre-Group in-service versions that sell/pre-sell well.  Model Rail itself plans a couple of pre-Grouping in-service liveries for the Brighton E1.

This is a relatively new shift in the market, however. There is no doubt in my mind that GER liveries would sell and I suspect that were MR making that decision now, they would include at least one GE livery option.

Unfortunately, they have produced many very similar options and, so, I daresay would have to wait for them all to sell out before they could do anything further.  

• Agree 1

On 26/06/2020 at 21:58, Edwardian said:

Well, an opportunity was lost when Model Rail baulked at commissioning the Wisbech and Upwell coaches.

They didn't think that a GER-liveried G15 would sell either. Silly people.

00_03_59_xlarge.jpg.3782b4f54169707c32b262df7310debc.jpg

Not silly at all. We're in a business where we can't afford to make a mistake. We did our research and the GER liveries (there are two very different liveries which split the vote) were in the 'maybe' category. We can't go with 'doubtful' - if we get one wrong it reduces our credibility when we put forward future ideas. The coaches and the GER livery were inextricably linked and the price quotes for the coach were simply not viable. (CJL)

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 5

Just received my R3810 set through the post (thank you Rails) and despite everything I have read and all the pictures I have looked at I was still surprised at how small it is!

Amazing little model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Mine has arrived with no missing parts or broken wires, hurrah! It still wasn't very keen on moving until I cleaned the wheels and adjusted the pick-ups. It's now a fine runner. I didn't fancy fiddling about with the couplings so I hooked up six (yes 6) Oxford TOADs for a haulage test, which it managed with a bit of initial wheel-slip. I can't see six L&M coaches being a problem.

The foam packaging is still awful, handle with care.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mine turned up today and is sadly already on its way back.

Somehow the tender wires are too short for the flexi connector to actually fully push into place with the tender drawbar hooked on :(

• Friendly/supportive 4

Thank you Derails mine arrived today. Model is superb even if removal from the foam packaging is slightly anxiety inducing. The couplings are easier after the holes have opened up a little. Well done Hornby.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Mine sits in platform 1 of my station. Well at least the GBL version does! Bit of a distraction for the wife, she won't notice the difference when the Hornby one arrives......

My Hornby one had been paid for, & was waiting for me to collect from Rails, which I changed today. They will now send it by post, but I've asked them to try to send just one package, containing the blue coach as well. They happily have said they will oblige. I can wait a little longer.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 1

Thanks to those lovely lads and ladies at Derails, mine was waiting for me when I got home.  Runs fine, with no wobble.  Coach couplings took a while to find in the box.  Not the easiest to couple as some have said, but some of the modern units with their pin connectors can be equally as fiddly.  Very pleased.

IMG_20200629_193658924.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

It's a lovely model, I just had to get one for my boys railway. I have found that it will go up a 1-50 with all 3 coaches. Wheel slip, yes certainly but it will do it. It did struggle a little more up the 1-35 but it still made it. 

The loco really needs a crew! ;)

Original Tri-ang Railways figures are good, but not so easy to find.

There is a crew in the Airfix, now made by Dapol, Rocket plastic kit...

The rest of the kit could be sold on, or used as parts to make something...

Edited by Sarahagain
typo
  • Like 1