New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

5 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

That's going to annoy Rails a bit. 

Hornby started development of theirs at the same time as Rocket and the 1st class coach in 2018. Long before Rails. Guess they wanted to see how sales were before doing more L&M stuff

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

And correctly described as Third Class.

Probably get some numpty telling me I'm wrong again.

At no point did I say they were original carriages. They are LMS.

Jason

Actually in most parts they are 1979/80 replicas for Rocket 150 using the LMS ones as a basis for rebuilds.

5 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

That's going to annoy Rails a bit. 

Hornby started development of theirs at the same time as Rocket and the 1st class coach in 2018. Long before Rails. Guess they wanted to see how sales were before doing more L&M stuff

7 ordered through Hattons for eventual delivery down under. I did have 4 RoS ones ordered but that’s obviously out of the question now. 

excellent values the Hornby model it, works out at $25AUD after VAT is taken away. 

Mine arrived this afternoon. It is, indeed, as tiny as I had expected :)

I haven't had a chance to run it yet, because, in a feat of unhelpful coincidence, I completed the conversion of my current project to DCC last weekend so to run the new arrival I either need to switch the controller back over or set up the test oval. I'll probably do the latter, maybe next weekend, as that way I can give it a decent extended run on the oval rather than just shuttling back and forth along a shunting plank.

Rocket arrived today; the one I did not order until Hornby actually showing a video of it running well much to the amusement of some who claimed I had no chance of getting one. Gaugemaster being the supplier, initially it was rough running forward, not helped by both tender wheels being sticky and I doubted it ability to pull anyting, but a bit of running in reverse eased the tender wheels and its now getting a bit quieter / smoother going forward on an oval of Kato Unitrak. Think a permanent loco - tender coupling arrangement would have been better or the peg fitting in upwards rather the downward arrangement which makes it all too easy for it fall out while placing the whole on the track.

Ordered the blue coach from Hornby.

Edited by Butler Henderson

6 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Those pictures of the Rocket beside a Big Boy are interesting. The Big Boy is longer than the entire Rocket train.

I wonder does Rocket  provide a service from one end of the Big Boy to the other ;)

and the UP locos is presumably in a smaller scale,  1/87.1 rather that 1/76.2 

does anyone know if the actual Rocket as displayed in the Science Museum (is it still there?) is in the configuration it operated in on the L&M or was it modified again. I assume that when it ran over poor Mr. Huskisson on the railway's opening day the cylinders were already horizontal? 

Edited by Pacific231G

32 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

I wonder if Hornby might also do a Second class version with bench seating inside ?

It would make a simple addition with minimum additional tooling investment.

Ray

Since it is a simple addition, it would be an ideal opportunity for a bit of modelling.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 4

31 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

does anyone know if the actual Rocket as displayed in the Science Museum (is it still there?0 is in the configuration it operated in on the L&M or was it modified again. I assume that when it ran over poor Mr. Huskisson on the railway's opening day the cylinders were already horizontal? 

She was at York when I last saw her (that was in November 2019), there was a small exhibition on about her

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

Flip - that didn't last, motor running freely without the wheels turning:(

same, mine arrived from kernow, put a chip in and straight away motor running, you can hear something is not engaged right. quickly turned it off to prevent further damage.

i'll speak to kernow tomorrow but i suspect they have none left, then what, refund or take a chance taking it apart trying to fix it?

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

same, mine arrived from kernow, put a chip in and straight away motor running, you can hear something is not engaged right. quickly turned it off to prevent further damage.

i'll speak to kernow tomorrow but i suspect they have none left, then what, refund or take a chance taking it apart trying to fix it?

Their website says that they have none but that they are expecting more stock soon. (I noted this whilst ordering some of the second class coaches). 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, rovex said:

With new coaches being produced could we see other types of early locos or rolling stock?

Such as a "Cyclopede",  walking horse on a treadmill with DCC fitted horse of course.:jester:

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Received our last Saturday. Local model shop received one from Hornby and we were the recipients.

Great loco, runs well but...

Those couplings..are a different form of torture....

27 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

Will have to test mine tomorrow.

Ray

I am attempting to fit a r7150 decoder but it doesn't appear to fit. Is the plug on the tender meant to be below the tender body, as the tender plug and the plug on the decoder are taller than the barrel can accommodate? There is a several mm gap between the top of tender plug and the bottom of the barrel. There doesn't appear to be any more space the plug to push down due to the presence of the wiring loom to the tender plug. 

IMG_20200701_205541.jpg

IMG_20200701_205654.jpg

39 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

If they do not have any they should return it to Hornby to be fixed under guarantee. Gaugemaster equally are sold out so will see what they say tomorrow. Hornby have published a service sheet 

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/download/item/2234

Mechanically there is not a lot to it and its probably the clip fit for the motor that is neither not properly in place or is broken, at worse it could be the "double gear" is worn or the worm has come loose. Is the unlabelled bolt at the bottom of the loco drawing the clue to how to open it up? 

Bit weird what is available as a spare part, parts of the loco body are not but all of the tender is.

I've found the couplings to be quite easy to use. If you hook one end onto a carriage before putting on the rails, then it should be fairly simple to just hook over the next vehicle, using either a pair of tweezers or a small screwdriver to just lift the eye over the peg.

I imagine a small turn of an appropriately sized brooch, or drill bit will open it up further if it's a bit tight. Mine went straight on from the box without issue.

Hope this is of some sense, and assistance!

Cheers

J

37 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

Received our last Saturday. Local model shop received one from Hornby and we were the recipients.

Great loco, runs well but...

Those couplings..are a different form of torture....

Note the recommendation made earlier in the thread to open up the holes slightly with a suitably sized drill

8 minutes ago, banburysaint said:

I am attempting to fit a r7150 decoder but it doesn't appear to fit. Is the plug on the tender meant to be below the tender body, as the tender plug and the plug on the decoder are taller than the barrel can accommodate? There is a several mm gap between the top of tender plug and the bottom of the barrel. There doesn't appear to be any more space the plug to push down due to the presence of the wiring loom to the tender plug. 

IMG_20200701_205541.jpg

IMG_20200701_205654.jpg

Hi, I fitted mine with Hornby chip by ignoring the picture in the booklet. It just fits if you insert the socket as far in to the hole at the bottom of the barrel as it will go and then put the chip horizontally into the top half of the barrel. You have to jiggle the wires a bit but it does go...it isn't for the faint hearted though.

Good luck.

Chris

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JaymzHatstand said:

I've found the couplings to be quite easy to use. If you hook one end onto a carriage before putting on the rails, then it should be fairly simple to just hook over the next vehicle, using either a pair of tweezers or a small screwdriver to just lift the eye over the peg.

I imagine a small turn of an appropriately sized brooch, or drill bit will open it up further if it's a bit tight. Mine went straight on from the box without issue.

Hope this is of some sense, and assistance!

Cheers

J

Any idea why we get 4 long and 2 short couplings though ? I have used 3 of the long ones which is likely wrong.

Chris

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

If they do not have any they should return it to Hornby to be fixed under guarantee. Gaugemaster equally are sold out so will see what they say tomorrow. Hornby have published a service sheet 

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/download/item/2234

Mechanically there is not a lot to it and its probably the clip fit for the motor that is neither not properly in place or is broken, at worse it could be the "double gear" is worn or the worm has come loose. Is the unlabelled bolt at the bottom of the loco drawing the clue to how to open it up? 

Bit weird what is available as a spare part, parts of the loco body are not but all of the tender is.

i might offer to send it direct to Hornby if kernow don't have a replacement (obviously speaking with Hornby as well). i have a peckett i need to send to Hornby for repair.

5 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

Any idea why we get 4 long and 2 short couplings though ? I have used 3 of the long ones which is likely wrong.

Chris

At a guess, I'd suggest it's to give options depending on the curvature of your track. For typical "train set" track (radius 2), use three long ones. For more prototypical curves, use one long one (between tender and first coach) and then two short ones between the coaches.

So what you've got are two separate sets of couplings: one set of three long ones and one set of one long one and two short ones.

That is just a guess, though, as the rather brief manual doesn't give any clues about the couplings. It doesn't even tell you how to fit them.

• Thanks 1