New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Did any one of you tried to replaced these wires (marked in blue) from loco to tender. How to remove the part in Red colour of the loco so that we can have access to these wires?

I wanted to replace these with stronger wires.  Image bowered from this group only)

Capture.JPG

Edited by Kaustubh
Image thanks

On 09/10/2020 at 07:52, Pre Grouping fan said:

Because its not been released yet and has Sold out on their website, and probably sold out at retailers. 

Its to be hoped that the retailers get all their allocaton too!

9 hours ago, Kaustubh said:

Hello All,

Did any one of you tried to replaced these wires (marked in blue) from loco to tender. How to remove the part in Red colour of the loco so that we can have access to these wires?

I wanted to replace these with stronger wires.  Image bowered from this group only)

Capture.JPG

Hi, if they havent broken I would leave them alone and permanently link the loco and tender by putting a bit of heat shrink or wire coating over the peg on the tender so they cant decouple. It was suggested a few posts back and I think it's a good simple solution. Good luck.

45 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

Hi, if they haven't broken I would leave them alone and permanently link the loco and tender by putting a bit of heat shrink or wire coating over the peg on the tender so they cant decouple. It was suggested a few posts back and I think it's a good simple solution. Good luck.

I'm not sure how really effective it will be, but I have also added a wider piece of very thin polythene to line the cavities for the Loco and the Tender, so that they aren't such a struggle to get out.  I'm hoping that the wire insulation on the Tender Coupler Peg and the polythene will put the wires at less risk.

Julian

Just fitted a Lokpilot V4.0 nano DCC to my Rocket. This is the 6-pin version but doesn't fit as is - the pins are very long. Elsewhere in this thread someone mentioned bending pins; so I used an ESU 6 pin socket to bend the pins 90 degrees. Then removed from the socket. Trimmed the fly leads down to half an inch in case I want to ever use them and the whole thing fitted into the barrel with the original adaptor. Ran with a bit of a jerk - turned OFF the BEMF and now it runs beautifully!

Also tried the Bachman 90 degree 6-pin 36-556RA but it is too big for the Rocket. 

1 hour ago, Salmotrutta said:

Just fitted a Lokpilot V4.0 nano DCC to my Rocket. This is the 6-pin version but doesn't fit as is - the pins are very long. Elsewhere in this thread someone mentioned bending pins; so I used an ESU 6 pin socket to bend the pins 90 degrees. Then removed from the socket. Trimmed the fly leads down to half an inch in case I want to ever use them and the whole thing fitted into the barrel with the original adaptor. Ran with a bit of a jerk - turned OFF the BEMF and now it runs beautifully!

Also tried the Bachman 90 degree 6-pin 36-556RA but it is too big for the Rocket. 

You often get a little plastic spacer on DDC blanking plugs, I normally use that as a depth marker and to hold the pins as I trim them down.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/10/2020 at 16:30, Salmotrutta said:

Over on the Hornby forum, there was a note that Rocket was designed to take a decoder *with a harness* and that other decoders probably wouldn't fit.

8 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Wow £10 mark up before they even reach the shelves. 

On their website new orders placed after the 1st November get a £5 mark up on their original £16 pre order price. Even tough I thought it had sold out super quick when announced?

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

On their website new orders placed after the 1st November get a £5 mark up on their original £16 pre order price. Even tough I thought it had sold out super quick when announced?

I think this wagon is one of those one time shot things.

its taking advantage of the same chassis as the coach.

Demand is really limited to those who have a rocket, or perhaps outside the UK to those who have a Der Adler.

But without Rocket or a kit its not much use.

for Hornby its an extra spin of the wheel. But after this batch I don't see mileage in it, its not as if they can do it in several liveries. They could put it in another Rocket and coaches pack next year, but personally think that would be too many Rockets in a short period.

Personally I think Hornby under priced this, its a special coach, priced as a wagon. Given Rocket and coaches was £189, that puts the 3 coaches in that set at £50, and Rocket at £140.. 

i’d have put these as a special edition at £25-30, which is exactly what Olivias is doing. If theres 3000+ Rockets out there and only half the buyers, take 3 of these coaches, thats 4500 sold, 4500 i’d imagine is a good production number..trouble is I suspect more than half the set buyers want them.

So if you want it, or a couple, this is your shot.

Edited by adb968008

The big sales market will be the tourists visiting NRM/locomotion and science museum. When lockdown eventually finishes and the overseas visitors return, then I predict demand will be high. There was a similar situation with City of Truro. I was in the NRM shop behind a US visitor who was buying in bulk for him and his mates. Rocket is more well known and there is major sales potential if priced right.

Mike Wiltshire

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Don't pay to much , Hornby have them for pre order again on their site 16,99,think they have ordered an extra batch.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/11/2020 at 23:30, Coach bogie said:

The big sales market will be the tourists visiting NRM/locomotion and science museum. When lockdown eventually finishes and the overseas visitors return, then I predict demand will be high. There was a similar situation with City of Truro. I was in the NRM shop behind a US visitor who was buying in bulk for him and his mates. Rocket is more well known and there is major sales potential if priced right.

Mike Wiltshire

If demand is that big, maybe British Airways should buy them and put them in their duty free catalog ?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2