New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

3 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Could it be that the Captain Tom Moore additional production has eaten into the availability of production of other items? 

"Captain Tom Moore" cannibalised slots for other Class 66 liveries.  Hornby seems to have taken up the mantle of Lima in producing small (ie the smallest sensible production quantity),  examples of recent/current Class 66 liveries which could be switched step by step to CTM.  It would explain the tendancy of the "preorders" to ratchet up in approx 500 unit quantities. The eventual number of CTM models was bounded by a lack of repurposable manufacturing slots.

As for the Rocket 2nd class coaches, I had preordered from Derails and got their email on the 10th.  I hope they get what they expected, and that I get what I preordered.  If not, its no problem, not the end of the world.

Another problem might arise with ports being clogged by Christmas/Brexit space hogging...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54908129

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

An interesting advertisement from first time round. Model Railway Constructor, January 1964.

20201120_090940.jpg.8e0e50b20dc17fccbeb02d776b124ba3.jpg

Werent these motors originally designed to advance film reels at high speed on camera fitted reconnaissance planes in WW2 ?

12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Werent these motors originally designed to advance film reels at high speed on camera fitted reconnaissance planes in WW2 ?

I've not heard of that before, but if so it would be the ancestor of the X.04, which Rovex bought in to power the original M&S Princess. Rovex liked the motor so much, they bought the company!

I believe  that the XT.60 was designed specifically for "Lord of the Isles" (and also used in the Caledonian 123), and the X.500 for Rocket.

Thinking on, my father had a "huge" 12v motor that was ex-RAF with bags of torque and too big to be used in an O gauge loco, this would have been a better choice to drive film spools, though I don't know who made it. Something of the X.04 motors size might have been better for driving a high speed shutter.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I've not heard of that before, but if so it would be the ancestor of the X.04, which Rovex bought in to power the original M&S Princess. Rovex liked the motor so much, they bought the company!

I believe  that the XT.60 was designed specifically for "Lord of the Isles" (and also used in the Caledonian 123), and the X.500 for Rocket.

Hi Hroth,

Would it be that the XT60 motor was also used in the Triang TT gauge locomotives also ?

Gibbo.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Hroth,

Would it be that the XT60 motor was also used in the Triang TT gauge locomotives also ?

Gibbo.

The TT Merchant Navy used something similar to the XT.60 but

I've not seen one in the flesh. Photos look a lot more clunky than the XT.60 in my old Caly single. The 0-6-0 TT chassis used a motor similar to the X.500 but again more clunky, or at least an earlier stage of development.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, guarded said:

The X500 also powered vehicles in the Minic Motorways range,where it was called the "Jet Speed Six".

Pat Hammond in The Story of Rovex Vol 1 disputes that; "For the origins of this motor we need not look to the Minic Motorways system, as is often assumed, but to the model of the Rocket for which it was originally produded." He then explains it was used in Minic vehicles but only after Rocket; the original Minic motor is stated as being smaller.

19 hours ago, Hroth said:

Thinking on, my father had a "huge" 12v motor that was ex-RAF with bags of torque and too big to be used in an O gauge loco, this would have been a better choice to drive film spools, though I don't know who made it. Something of the X.04 motors size might have been better for driving a high speed shutter.

The Zenith company made the original motors used by Rovex.

There was an aviation connexion, but I can’t remember the details...possibly in Pat Hammond’s Rovex story volume 1.

The X.500 Rocket motor was slightly different to the Minic Motorway version. For example, the brush holder part is different. The Minic vehicles having the brush retaining springs mounted on the vehicle chassis I seem to recall...

D1EEDB38-2B17-4BB1-B768-3D25ACF8AF55.jpeg.950d5d641f62e209678aa0aaf9ee02f8.jpeg

The motor used in the Lord of The Isles (and the later Caledonian 123, which uses the same chassis) was originally developed for the TT gauge Merchant Navy locomotive, and also used in the TT Gauge Britannia and the French Pacific.

XT.60 Motor Service Sheet.

No.021 Mark 1 Motor - T.T. Gauge.pdf

T.93 Merchant Navy Chassis Service Sheet.

No.022 Chassis - Bogie and Pony Truck T93.pdf

The Castle, 0-6-0 Jinty and Diesel Shunter, and the 2-6-2 Prairie Tank locomotives had the earlier pattern TT Gauge motor, which is built in to the chassis.

T.91 Castle Chassis Service Sheet.

No.015 Chassis and Bogie T91.pdf

The TT version is the XT.60. This has a different, single start, worm to the OO Gauge version, which uses the same twin start worm as the X.04 type motors.

X=(Usually OO Gauge ) a spare part assembly (S being a spare part).

T= TT Gauge. XT being a TT Gauge spare part assembly.  (ST being a TT Gauge spare part).

To confuse the issue, some parts used In TT Gauge models were originally used in OO gauge models, and retain the S number.

Also some parts originally used in TT Gauge models retained the ST number when used in an OO Gauge model.

Take a look at the Service Sheets parts lists... ;)

The OO Gauge version of the TT Gauge motor is the X.05.

(Should this motor be named the “Fireball” motor? ;))

3FC63383-7E58-4E33-9E44-E2BD7E603552.jpeg.a2d74c7f2cb90a019870a174fbcb86d3.jpeg

The X.05 was also used to power the MK2 Tri-ang Railways Turntable. The drive also used the brass gear wheel as used on the driving axles in X.04 fitted locomotives.

AC8A631B-B6CF-4226-ABE7-D7B11D93229E.jpeg.52a5e1bc9d1f92e9702036b27a61397c.jpeg

Later versions of the OO Gauge locomotives used a black plastic gear wheel, as did the later Mk2 Turntables.

Much later versions of the locomotives used a black plastic single start worm. The X.04 type became the X.03, reusing the assembly X number previously used for the earlier pattern motor that preceded the X.04!

The matching gear on the driving axle is usually a Silver Grey colour.

I am not sure what number was applied to any of the TT derived motors fitted with the black worm...but I am thinking that some were? I’m not sure about any Mk 2 Turntable motors fitted with the black plastic worm.

The Mk3 Turntable, with the Geneva Gear drive, used a new type X.03 motor with a special brass single start worm, with the silver grey gear wheel as part of the drive.

More recent versions of the Mk3 Turntable, Mk3a with extra outlet track positions, and now made in China, use a similar motor to the current Railroad type 0-6-0 chassis.

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Added Service Sheets...Housekeeping...more added
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 20/11/2020 at 09:13, Colin_McLeod said:

An interesting advertisement from first time round. Model Railway Constructor, January 1964.

20201120_090940.jpg.8e0e50b20dc17fccbeb02d776b124ba3.jpg

Wow this is amazing thanks for this! seeing this had me thinking does anyone else think Hornby missed a trick with their Centenary Range products? Perhaps by having reproduction retro maintenance operation instructions etc in the style layout and design of each of the decades of each product. Or am I being too picky and expecting too much that not very many people other than myself would be even the slightest bit possibly amazed or even slightly remotely interested by this? :laugh: They did however sort of replicate this on the instructions which I thought they looked fantastic for the 1920s tin plate  2710 CR No.1, Centenary Year Limited Edition - 1920s O gauge locomotives. I think the packaging for each era of the centenary product range is fantastic. off topic I just hope The Retro Wagons are also in retro packaging!:D

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/11/2020 at 13:04, 3rd Rail Exile said:

I've got two on pre-order directly from Hornby - it'll be interesting to see if they have to do something similar...

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Just a heads up, Hornby are processing direct orders for the coach.

Well, Hornby appear to have billed my card for the two I pre-ordered back in July, so I presume they haven't had to ration them...

• RMweb Gold

Clearly a Olivias are having a happy Christmas, they’ve sold 67 so far on ebay...

at  £34 a piece with postage, double RRP + a full trade  margin.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R40141-Stephensons-Rocket-L-MR-Open-Third-Class-Carriage/284074672966

and proudly boast...

All retailers now have there delivery allocations with all having these reduced by 20%
We have completed our customers allocation leaving a few spares, these arrived at Hornby on the 20th Nov & they are Sold out. 

67 is a lot of spares, I wonder how many they have ?

if 1000 is the magic number Produced, Olivias are approaching 10% of the global supply.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Clearly a Olivias are having a happy Christmas, they’ve sold 67 so far on ebay...

at  £34 a piece with postage, double RRP + a full trade  margin.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R40141-Stephensons-Rocket-L-MR-Open-Third-Class-Carriage/284074672966

and proudly boast...

67 is a lot of spares, I wonder how many they have ?

Probably in part because people don't seem to go direct to Olivia's.

And the ironic part is on their website they say "£25 from 19th November. £17 orders taken up to Oct 2020. £21 from 1st Nov to 18th (Sorry for these price hikes this stops people purchasing these then selling them on ebay yes we make a profit but at least you can buy them)"

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Probably in part because people don't seem to go direct to Olivia's.

And the ironic part is on their website they say "£25 from 19th November. £17 orders taken up to Oct 2020. £21 from 1st Nov to 18th (Sorry for these price hikes this stops people purchasing these then selling them on ebay yes we make a profit but at least you can buy them)"

Roy

Far from stopping people from selling on ebay, their actions make it easier for the ebay seller to sell at an inflated price and still be cheaper than Olivia's. What they really mean is that they are pulling another fast one.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Far from stopping people from selling on ebay, their actions make it easier for the ebay seller to sell at an inflated price and still be cheaper than Olivia's. What they really mean is that they are pulling another fast one.

At least they are admitting it.

I’m not sure a number of other retailers might be doing the same, on this and a few other items.
Whether that’s for profit, or protection from uncertain supplies is to be seen... but retailers holding stock back is a sure way to create a bubble, extra tied up cash, that could turn to a Black Swan, maybe by accident or perhaps by design.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

At least they are admitting it.

I’m not sure a number of other retailers might be doing the same, on this and a few other items.
Whether that’s for profit, or protection from uncertain supplies is to be seen... but retailers holding stock back is a sure way to create a bubble, extra tied up cash, that could turn to a Black Swan, maybe by accident or perhaps by design.

I would love to see the likes of Hornby take a stand against retailers that are blatantly hiking prices as, ultimately, the consumer suffers and so, longer-term. will the manufacturer.

I feel for those who will not get their pre-order, yet see a retailer doing this.

And as for me, I vetoed Olivia's many moons ago after a bad experience and this just reinforces my reasoning for that decision.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7