New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

I don't know how Olivas obtained the 3rd class Rocket coaches but when I tried to order some from the shop at Swanage Station Hornby told the shop that they were not available.  I had to order them directly from Hornby and they arrived care of DPD.  This is not helping model shops during the coronavirus epidemic.  

My picture shows Rocket hauling the 3rd class coaches over Corfe Viaduct.  The replica Rocket never made it to the Swanage Railway but it did appear near the Royal Albert Hall, on the Bluebell Railway and outside the York Railway Museum.  It was hauling 3rd class coaches but I cannot remember whether I rode in one in London.  The coaches would be enhanced with contemporary passengers for a preservation scene or Georgian figures for an 1830s scene.

The 3rd class coaches also feature in Thomas the Tank Engine hauled by George, the Rocket or Toby the Tram engine at the castle

P1000175.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aaron3820 said:

How the heck has Olivias been allowed to get away with this? 106 sold at the time I viewed the listing and they had approx 20 more for sale across the pristine and weathered options...

2268FDD0-02CA-479A-846E-07255ABBCBC5.png.c4686f0443ac523d1db8c96115fcf8d9.png

That's completely and utterly wrong. I think they'll be a lot of disappointed people soon when Olivia have to cancel the majority of their orders. 

• Agree 1

Ours haven't been delivered just yet.   We had 85% of our requested order allocated by Hornby, so demand definitely outstripped supply.

We have a lot left unallocated, so keep an eye on our website (I'll post here when they arrive)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, aaron3820 said:

It’ll be crunch time for them soon enough. This alone gives me reason not to shop from Olivias. 

Ha! Not according to Ebay: " One of eBay's most reputable sellers. Consistently delivers outstanding customer service" Fake news?

Seriously, all those people who've paid over the odds for Rocket 3rds will be kicking themselves next year when the main batch arrives and 'normal' prices are resumed....

Screenshot 2020-12-01 at 13.38.55.png

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, aaron3820 said:

How the heck has Olivias been allowed to get away with this? 106 sold at the time I viewed the listing and they had approx 20 more for sale across the pristine and weathered options...

2268FDD0-02CA-479A-846E-07255ABBCBC5.png.c4686f0443ac523d1db8c96115fcf8d9.png

Free market capitalism.

The alternative is communism, with fixed set prices.

3 years ago it was a buyers market, free fall pricing from announcement and cut throat margins for retailers.

Hornby attempted to stop this by fixing prices / restricting discounting on all new items.

That killed the discounting, creating a sellers market that has gone, on this case, wholesale reverse and created a demand spike / bubble.

Next comes the correction, post Covid, people look at their passports and spend £200 On a plane ticket instead of a new loco...

indeed Olivias could buy a few plane tickets, on their extra margin.

People may disagree with me, but fair play to Olivias, they’ve spotted an opportunity and exploited it to the max.

Theyve got one left, so £28+£6p&p will be seen as cheap by the time your reading this, and 109 sold in advance clearly shows the public are seeing this as a bargain.

The loser here is Hornby, If it we’re me it would be a 3 pack at £99.99, but let’s not forget its Hornby that not only set the price, set the demand but set the events to which created this bubble that exists, across many items. IMHO too much demand is worse than too much supply, as it sets events that allow competitors to flourish, as well as giving away profit.  One hopes this is events that they have planned, and are in control of as part of a wider strategy.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I will be doing something a bit different with mine. I already have a L&M carriage (ex GBL) which I've repainted for use by the fictitious light railway element of my layout. The fiction goes that they also inherited one of the third class opens at the same time. Having three compartments unhindered by seats was thought to be of use by the p-way department for lugging tools and materials to the work site.

1319075737_lm11.jpg.b27cd4433fcb4fe929cd670096c083b5.jpg

Here it's accompanied by both the closed carriage and the p-way brake. I'll have to arrange the fitting of tension lock couplings and I'll be applying a layer of filth over the pastel blue paintwork.

2007222873_lm2.jpg.bc76558f32eccaeb1d08067731a77f17.jpg

I hope those keeping theirs as standard appreciate the extra rarity value that this will confer on your models.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Neil said:

Having three compartments unhindered by seats was thought to be of use by the p-way department for lugging tools and materials to the work site.

... or .... a livestock wagon; sheep, calves and pigs, all with their own accommodation!

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

If you go on ebay using tablet not phone  it still says 12+ left !

It would seem they found 14 more...

Pristine has sold out, only weathered left.

651053D6-A770-457C-AAAE-2C0D3A7CA6AE.jpeg.f2e1594100aba767bf9816c95ea9505e.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, Trains4U said:

Ours haven't been delivered just yet.   We had 85% of our requested order allocated by Hornby, so demand definitely outstripped supply.

We have a lot left unallocated, so keep an eye on our website (I'll post here when they arrive)

This makes me feel better, we haven’t received ours yet. Looks like the Alphabetical dispatch system. Might be easier to change our name to A Model Shop (in Widnes).  :P

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 30/11/2020 at 20:23, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Messages received today, my coach is due to arrive tomorrow...hopefully. ;)

Well, confusion reigns....

I had both a text message and an email yesterday, Monday, stating that my DPD package would be delivered today, Tuesday.

No it wasn’t...

When I activated the DPD App this morning , it said that DPD didn’t have the package yet...

This evening, it now says that the package is en route, and is to be delivered tomorrow, Wednesday...(I will say again, hopefully!...)

So, another day gone... :unsure:

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

I had both a text message and an email yesterday, Monday, stating that my DPD package would be delivered today, Tuesday.

No it wasn’t...

When I activated the DPD App this morning , it said that DPD didn’t have the package yet...

This evening, it now says that the package is en route, and is to be delivered tomorrow, Wednesday...(I will say again, hopefully!...)

that’s happened each time I’ve ordered direct from Hornby and the same this time. Email from Hornby saying it would be delivered Monday and DPD saying they didn’t have it. Mine arrived today as per the DPD info so I’d believe that ;) 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

No it wasn’t...

I feel your pain!

DPD told me to expect delivery of an expected package today, between 18.59 and 19.59; at 20.10 I checked tracking, to be told that it would arrive TOMORROW within the same time slot - when we will not be able to accept delivery!

John Isherwood.

• Friendly/supportive 1

The actual email looked and was worded like it came from DPD, but the sender is shewn as Hornby Hobbies...

We'll deliver your Hornby Hobbies parcel

TOMORROW

1st December 2020

If you're not in we'll leave your parcel in your chosen safe place.

We won't ask you to sign for your parcel, we'll take a photo of it instead in your open doorway as proof it has been delivered. If you're self isolating, leave a signed note on your door, telling us where to put the parcel.

Show my options 

Your parcel: ‍Xxxxxxx

Download our app
Never miss a parcel delivery from your favourite DPDgroup companies, DPD Localand DPD.

Find out more

So no wonder it’s confusing... :unknw_mini:

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

This makes me feel better, we haven’t received ours yet. Looks like the Alphabetical dispatch system. Might be easier to change our name to A Model Shop (in Widnes).  :P

Going for A might be a good idea, as in my limited experience, going for D didn't make the slightest bit of difference ;) 

None received here yet either, but I'm sure they'll be through very soon - I'm not in a rush for them, they'll come when they come :sungum:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1