New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

13 minutes ago, Derails Models said:

Going for A might be a good idea, as in my limited experience, going for D didn't make the slightest bit of difference ;) 

None received here yet either, but I'm sure they'll be through very soon - I'm not in a rush for them, they'll come when they come :sungum:

Perhaps Hornbys Prioritisation System threw a wobbler and a large proportion got sent to retailers starting with "O"...  :scared:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

DPD delivered my two, direct from Hornby, here in Ireland yesterday. They arrived during the promised time slot.

Lovely little coaches they are, but would not fancy travelling from Liverpool to Manchester in them in the rain!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Lovely little coaches they are, but would not fancy travelling from Liverpool to Manchester in them in the rain!

Better than walking in the rain (taking a couple of days...) or a stagecoach in the rain (esp outside seat), or a packet from Liverpool to Runcorn and then a boat along the Bridgewater Canal to Worsley then walking/stagecoach (probably in the rain too...)

The LMR would only involve, at most, a couple of hours travel (in the rain).

You'd be relatively dry!

Or you could stay at home and keep dry.  Who wants to go to Manchester anyway?  :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Or you could stay at home and keep dry.  Who wants to go to Manchester anyway?  :jester:

I was actually wondering who would want to go to either myself, but then I recalled Liverpool was the gateway out of the UK to warmer climates all over the world... the rain therefore was a last hurrah on the way out, the train got you out faster, whats bad about that ?

Back in the 90’s I lived at uni in Manchester, the first term, from September to November, it rained every single day for 3 months. I ran out of clothes, everything was routinely drying in the corridors creating steamed up windows.

Eventually I just gave up wearing many clothes, as they were neither warm nor kept me dry...thats when I realised why the girls in Manchester when they went clubbing wore so little and were always freezing.

Though i never understood why the blokes seem obsessed with primary coloured plain shirts, as some kind of odd uniform...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I was actually wondering who would want to go to either myself, but then I recalled Liverpool was the gateway out of the UK to warmer climates all over the world... the rain therefore was a last hurrah on the way out, the train got you out faster, whats bad about that ?

Then, certainly in the early 1830s at least, after the discomfort (or not, depending on the size of your purse) but relative safety of the L&M journey of a couple of hours, there was the perilous passage by sailing ship to look forward to, taking maybe a month, or more depending on weather or destination.

Edited by Coppercap
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Back in the 90’s I lived at uni in Manchester, the first term, from September to November, it rained every single day for 3 months. I ran out of clothes, everything was routinely drying in the corridors creating steamed up windows.

Eventually I just gave up wearing many clothes, as they were neither warm nor kept me dry...thats when I realised why the girls in Manchester when they went clubbing wore so little and were always freezing.

Though i never understood why the blokes seem obsessed with primary coloured plain shirts, as some kind of odd uniform...

You're looking at it with modern (prejudiced) eyes.

Liverpool was probably the most prosperous place in the world in 1830. Worth bearing in mind the next railways planned was either to rival the L&M* or join up to it (London & Birmingham/Grand Junction/etc).

Next time you are in either city look at the architecture. People were queueing up to get to Liverpool to stay, not to pass through. It's population rose to over a million at it's peak. Much of it very affluent middle class.

*GWR and London & Southampton were built due to their ports being left behind

Why do the girls wear little when out clubbing? Because they get charged an extortionate amount to put their coats in the cloakroom. It's something like £10 an item. 

• Like 1

I went onto the Hornby website 30 minutes ago (5pm) and they were available for sale. Purchased in the normal way and received email:

Dear Robin Richards

Thank you for ordering with Hornby.

Your order number can be found below - please quote this number if you have any enquiries.

Your order is being processed and we'll let you know when it's despatched. Please refer to the website for further information on your selected delivery service.

... personal details ...

Item                                                                     Sku            Qty                                 Subtotal

L&MR, Open Third Class Carriage, Era 1      R40141         3                                    £50.97

Subtotal  £50.97

Postage & Packing   £0.00

Tax    £8.50

Total  £50.97

If you have any questions about your order, please visit our FAQ's at https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/support/help.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Robin R said:

I went onto the Hornby website 30 minutes ago (5pm) and they were available for sale. Purchased in the normal way and received email:

Dear Robin Richards

Thank you for ordering with Hornby.

Your order number can be found below - please quote this number if you have any enquiries.

Your order is being processed and we'll let you know when it's despatched. Please refer to the website for further information on your selected delivery service.

... personal details ...

Item                                                                     Sku            Qty                                 Subtotal

L&MR, Open Third Class Carriage, Era 1      R40141         3                                    £50.97

Subtotal  £50.97

Postage & Packing   £0.00

Tax    £8.50

Total  £50.97

If you have any questions about your order, please visit our FAQ's at https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/support/help.

Just tried that here but was told that they are not available. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

It seems every now and then a few come available, I got 2 last week, only 2 available then. I had checked a day or so before and none. I suspect they become available when existing orders fall by the wayside such as card issues that people don't respond to or they have decided they no longer want them.

And then oddly enough I was one of the first to actually recieve them !!!

Edited by CUCKOO LINE
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Derails Models said:

Going for A might be a good idea, as in my limited experience, going for D didn't make the slightest bit of difference ;) 

None received here yet either, but I'm sure they'll be through very soon - I'm not in a rush for them, they'll come when they come :sungum:

Hornby delivery tomorrow, hurrah. Oh wait they aren’t on there. Changing name by Deed Poll in the morning. New shop will by my first name followed by Model Shop.

Aaron’s Model Shop in the Centre  of Widnes

Has a ring to it, going to need a bigger sign. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Hornby delivery tomorrow, hurrah. Oh wait they aren’t on there. Changing name by Deed Poll in the morning. New shop will by my first name followed by Model Shop.

Aaron’s Model Shop in the Centre  of Widnes

Has a ring to it, going to need a bigger sign. :rolleyes:

I approve that name

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Hroth said:

Better than walking in the rain (taking a couple of days...) or a stagecoach in the rain (esp outside seat), or a packet from Liverpool to Runcorn and then a boat along the Bridgewater Canal to Worsley then walking/stagecoach (probably in the rain too...)

The LMR would only involve, at most, a couple of hours travel (in the rain).

You'd be relatively dry!

Actually, not Runcorn to Worsley...

The Bridgewater Canal was first constructed to take coal from Worsley to Castlefields, in Manchester.

Later, the branch to Runcorn was built, competing with the Mersey and Irwell Navigation, that mainly used the courses of those two rivers between Runcorn and Manchester. (The Bridgewater main line crossed the Navigation via the Barton Aqueduct.)

There was also a line from Worsley to Leigh, where a branch from the Leeds and Liverpool Canal made an end on junction.

So, by water from Liverpool to Manchester, before the Ship Canal was built, was possible three ways.

1, Via the Mersey to Runcorn, then via either the M&I Navigation, OR 2, via the Bridgewater to Castlefields, Manchester.

OR 3, Via the Leeds and Liverpool Canal to Wigan, down the branch to Leigh, and onto the Bridgewater Canal via Worsley to Castlefields, Manchester.

:offtopic:

The later construction of the Ship Canal used in part the course of the M&I Navigation, and as part of the Act to construct the MSC, the company had to take over both the Bridgewater Canal, and the M&I Navigation.

The famous Barton Swing Aqueduct carries the Bridgwater Canal over the MSC, it replaced Brindley’s original stone aqueduct over the M&I Navigation...

Canals....another Thorston interest I’m afraid! ;)

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
More added
  • Informative/Useful 3

28 minutes ago, AshleyH said:

Just to say the R40141 coaches are back in stock on Hornby.com.

I have just managed to place an order anyway, and to think I was almost tempted to try Olivias, I say almost....

This is bizarre. I have two (direct from Hornby), and don't want any more, but just to see for myself, earlier today I looked them up on the Hornby website and it said they were sold out, and no more would be available (or something very much like that). I wonder what they are playing at?

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I have just checked after reading the above post and they are available again! This is becoming a rather sick game. 

It’s one way of attracting business to your website...

if your the only online retailer showing them in stock.

The W1 is showing available to Pre order also.. no one seems to be accepting preorders online for them either.

At least now you can buy them without Olivias.

Ive decided not to risk it further, as I’ve not found a retailer that could supply all, and bought a rake to put with a Trix Der Adler.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

This isn’t just an issue for this coach. Tried to get the Beatles Eurostar extra coaches and it seems most retailers were sent short - some quite vocal about the situation given I was an unknown customer!