New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

And pricing is all over the place, Peters Spares being another wanting a penny under £30 for one while not that far from them TMC have them at almost half that price, £15.29

£29.99 !

As a surprise, it's cheaper at the "other" Sheffield shop .....

Strangely, not taking telephone orders for this item.

1 minute ago, Edge said:

Ordered three yesterday for myself directly from the Hornby website. Let’s see, shall we :)? They’ve certainly taken the money for them 

They've taken the money? Then they'll be on their way very soon...

• RMweb Gold

Still good fodder for ancient wagon chassis conversions.

Take the body off, paint the chassis wood brown/rust and add something random, like a Tank, cylinder, box for some misc purpose youve got some yard wrecks / garden shed engineered stuff found in various goods yard layouts, kind of stuff still in remote abandoned yards into the late 1980’s.

Finding an LNWR tenderchassis, with a random water tank near Machynlleth in the early 90’s comes to mind as one example, an L&Y EMU bogie used to move stores around Bury shed was another, even more recently NL depot has some decrepit 4wheeler with a rusted power unit on etc.
All manner of random non-registered ancient stuff exists so this chassis is but one example as a good base starting point.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I recently listed something and accidentally put the postage at £310 instead of £3.10. That sold and had I not have been honest, could have insisted!

Roy

Well stamps have gone up...

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I’d show them this or take your order elsewhere 

Sadly not the first time a shop has joined in the eBay price hikes with the rocket items rather than putting them on sale at the real rrp. 

In fairness, when I picked them up, the original price was honoured as I had part paid when ordered. In saying that the remaining stock is still showing @ £29.99 as RRP on both their website and eBay

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

And pricing is all over the place, Peters Spares being another wanting a penny under £30 for one while not that far from them TMC have them at almost half that price, £15.29

How can they get away with claiming on their website that £29.99 is the RRP when the Hornby website shows otherwise.  I don't know if they've had change of owner / management as the lad I used to deal with isn't there anymore, whoever's in charge now is getting very greedy with the pricing. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

In fairness, when I picked them up, the original price was honoured as I had part paid when ordered. In saying that the remaining stock is still showing @ £29.99 as RRP on both their website and eBay

Mike Wiltshire

I would suggest that any retailer stating an RRP higher than the Hornby RRP is a breach of trading standards and probably somebody needs to have a quiet word with them before they get a visit from trading standards that may prove expensive. And before anybody says it won't happen, trading standards do go after small businesses quite often as it is they they often flaunt the rules rather than the bigger companies.

Edit: From the guidance issued by Trading Standards:

• "A recommended retail price (RRP) is a price that a manufacturer or supplier has independently recommended."
  • "An RRP must not be false"
  • "Traders using RRPs should consider obtaining substantiation from their suppliers or manufacturers..."
  • "The use of RRPs as a reference price without such substantiation leaves the business open to the risk that the RRP is not genuine and may be considered misleading."

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

There's at least 50 for sale on ebay this morning.

The bulk of them are by 4 retailers, Trains4u, PetersSpares, Cheltenham and Olivias. 

All 4 are listing c£10-20 above rrp.

I dont blame the retailers for doing it, afterall they would just be handing a gift out to everyone else to do it.
Retailers are exploiting Hornby, not the customer.. With hundreds sold, Customers are obviously quite happy about it.

But is this what Hornby intended, when they decided to stop retailer discounting 2 years ago ? Not only has competition gone, it is gone into reverse.

Hornby has gifted its profit to retailers, each 1 sold is a extra tenner Hornby has lost. I fear the W1, Coronation, APT etc is going the same way... forget RRP, pre-orders, its just pure trains to the highest bidder...

That said, it could be a ruse too.. if you want new releases, wheres the cheapest most reliable place to find them... its looking like its becoming www.Hornby.com

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Amand said:

How can they get away with claiming on their website that £29.99 is the RRP when the Hornby website shows otherwise.  I don't know if they've had change of owner / management as the lad I used to deal with isn't there anymore, whoever's in charge now is getting very greedy with the pricing. 

We have had a change of two staff member but I am still here the owner of Peters Spares. We are selling this item now at the current market value after selling 70% or more at the RRP of £16.99 We advertised pre orders of this item at £16.99 for months since the launch of the item in early September. We ordered 100 and were cut back like all retailers were. Our order went down to 80. We have raised the price in line with the market value and to stop customers buying 10 or 20 and selling them on as we have had happen for a few years now. We have given plenty of opportunity to buy the item or pre order at the lower price. Thanks Peter 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

We are selling this item now at the current market value after selling 70% or more at the RRP of £16.99 We advertised pre orders of this item at £16.99 for months since the launch of the item in early September. We ordered 100 and were cut back like all retailers were. Our order went down to 80. We have raised the price in line with the market value and to stop customers buying 10 or 20 and selling them on as we have had happen for a few years now. We have given plenty of opportunity to buy the item or pre order at the lower price. Thanks Peter 

22 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

My local model shop has been in touch to say my pre order blue coaches have arrived RRP £29.99 each they claim!

Mike Wiltshire

Hi Mike, You placed your order at £16.99 and you got them at £16.99 as promised. The remaining stock is at the current market price. Thanks Peter 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, PetersSpares said:

Hi Mike, You placed your order at £16.99 and you got them at £16.99 as promised. The remaining stock is at the current market price. Thanks Peter 

I think the real point here is the crazy RRP set by Hornby in the first place. Talk about not understand your market and demand. It was clearly miss priced in the first place. Should have been at least £24.99 and prob £29.99, lots of revenue lost to both retailers and Hornby. 

• RMweb Premium

I think Peters spares approach is not unreasonable as long as they don't quote £29.99 as the RRP. I suppose they could also limit quantities to 1 or 2 which would probably attract the genuine buyer rather than the eBay profiteer .

I think Hornby have probably underpriced this one . But only in model railways would you actually get people pointing this out!   

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Legend said:

I think Peters spares approach is not unreasonable as long as they don't quote £29.99 as the RRP. I suppose they could also limit quantities to 1 or 2 which would probably attract the genuine buyer rather than the eBay profiteer .

I think Hornby have probably underpriced this one . But only in model railways would you actually get people pointing this out!   

And the website is updated to remove the RRP. Would be good to see others do the same...

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Sadly shops joining in just further encouraging the speculators rather than limiting orders to the same address. I genuinely wanted three for myself but it appears some are buying in bulk purely to speculate and no doubt Hornby will decide they may as well join in if that’s going to happen like LGB did and price a load out of the market. 

1 hour ago, miles73128 said:

I think the real point here is the crazy RRP set by Hornby in the first place.

I’m sure they priced it fairly at what they thought was reasonable. So Bachmann were vilified for raising prices because their parent company insisted but now we think Hornby should to meet internet speculation?

Thats just capitalism gone mad and once you’ve destroyed your core market who’s going to buy it? LGB are being forced to ever more exclusive and expensive collectors editions and out of the group of six friends into G scale none have bought a brand new loco recently as a result, not because they can’t afford it but they can’t justify it as they don’t feel it’s value for money anymore. 
I’m all for making a profit but encouraging 75% profit on top of shop price at release is deeply disappointing. Peter may have offered pre orders at the true rrp initially but what about the kid who pops in to spend their Xmas money and can’t afford it? 
I’m glad to say my two local shops actively held back stock on the Pecketts and other items so regulars and anyone who asked could get them at shop prices rather than speculating and one of those is a big eBay seller too. It’s a sad trend in my opinion even though I want model shops to survive I don’t think this is the way to get loyal customers. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Peter may have offered pre orders at the true rrp initially but what about the kid who pops in to spend their Xmas money and can’t afford it? 

The young are being priced out of this hobby left, right and centre. Even second hand prices are now reaching levels that I never thought possible.

Roy

• Agree 2

As far as I can see, with a little patience there has been (and is) ample opportunity to get these at £16.99 if one doesn't fall for the hype. There is a limit about what Hornby can do regarding re-sellers. 

I'm finding myself a little breathless at all the frothing, it's just toy trains.....!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Roy Langridge said:

The young are being priced out of this hobby left, right and centre. Even second hand prices are now reaching levels that I never thought possible.

Roy

Yes to an extent although Bachmann & Hornby etcs pricing seems very fair if it’s stuck to. The core market is older but we do need it not to become a purely collectors market or it just won’t support the wide range we see now. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

And yet I sit on a pile of project models (mainly locos) acquired over the summer that have cost in general less than £20 apiece. Just requires a bit of patience and not demanding to have the latest thing. 

• RMweb Premium

Crazy RRP? This coach is basically a small open wagon, and Hornby sell plenty of those at a similar price. I for one am glad they haven't tried to rip us off with this one.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5