New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

12 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

@Gibbo675, is that a 3D print from your own CAD or someone else's?

Hi Stephen,

The print is from Newman Miniatures via Shapeways.

I'm usually rather old school and make everything out of plasticard from my own pencil drawings. I have even been know to take measurements by way of the new fangled metric system !

Gibbo.

• Like 3

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 22:14, newbryford said:

Eh? Burnt?

Not at all.

Just had to find the right level for them £65 + postage in the end, still a nice profit.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Over 25% discount and less than £2 profit after eBay’s taken their cut unless on a £1 listing! 

Not exactly a moral or financial scoop so I think Newbryford was correct some got a bit burnt and it wasn’t eBay. 

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Over 25% discount and less than £2 profit after eBay’s taken their cut unless on a £1 listing! 

Not exactly a moral or financial scoop so I think Newbryford was correct some got a bit burnt and it wasn’t eBay. 

The seller (47401 Project) sells a lot of new items so presumably acquires them on trade terms.

• RMweb Gold

It was more the initial crowing about selling them for more and what turned up on eBay for £30 each as a £90 bundle amidst the people struggling to find them that failed to impress. It appears to be linked to the 47401 project from the name? but as with other shops selling the set and coaches from trade at inflated profits from their factory stock hardly a way to create sympathy and support. 
It’s perfectly legal but if you’re prepared to vastly inflate prices and brag about it don’t expect people think ok I’ll support your project by paying an extra few quid by in the future. My local two shops get my support because they have deliberately not profiteered from the Pecketts and Rocket sets, even going as far as to swap stock to fulfil orders and holding stock back for regulars rather than cramming it on their eBay site. 
Ultimately they can feel smug to have made an extra £1.80 or so but a hollow win and one seller and project I’d avoid on principle as a result of the initial post. No one got hurt but one to think about before gloating in a thread about having stock to sell. 

• Agree 11

Having bought from them in the past yes it is the sales group of the 47401 Project. It is regrettable certain retailers who have past reputation for hiking prices along with others who you would not expect such of suddenly came with en-mass with a £30 price tag. In the case of a fund raising organisation seeing others charging £30 why would you not do the same. Obviously they have realised the error and not not continued with the original pricing, pity certain retailers continue with their excessive pricing policies.

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

In the case of a fund raising organisation seeing others charging £30 why would you not do the same.

Well you could include in the description “we are including a £10 donation” to the project for a start. It’s purely goodwill and I felt that was lacking from the original post, instead we got a slightly smug what can I get away with. Like I said above all above board just the attitude to fellow modellers smells a bit. 

“Nice to get a “winner” and be able to run the prices up a bit”
6AE2AC86-ABE4-4C8E-B8DB-6274B5A11CE2.png.30afafc0b88fe1e0ab24d4f41843927c.png

This one mentions a good cause but it wasn’t in the eBay listings or explained here and following the post above just a tad crass when groups want sympathy and support. 

520DFA35-2F5E-4EC9-98DF-2C5B5736279C.png.9e386347836e323489ae62e3b9e24ae7.png

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Pete47401 said:

Eh? Burnt?

Not at all.

Just had to find the right level for them £65 + postage in the end, still a nice profit.

Bearing in mind, your original listing was for £90...............

I know it's a free market out there, but if you did get them at trade, I can only hope Hornby were taking note.

Thanks to your listing, there goes any contribution from me to any restoration funds for 47401.

I got a couple from my local shop at a non-inflated price as he treats his regular customers with respect.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

I have just purchased a R3810 rocket off ebay. Found it very difficult to remove from the foam package but succeeded and it ran well. Put it back in foam but next day noticed a black wire had come loose between loco and tender. I am 73 and my eyesight is poor due to cataract. I have contacted Hornby and they have suggested I return the loco for inspection and hopefully repair. I don't feel competent to attempt repair myself. Anyway hoping Hornby will help me.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

7 hours ago, Zachariah said:

I have just purchased a R3810 rocket off ebay. Found it very difficult to remove from the foam package but succeeded and it ran well. Put it back in foam but next day noticed a black wire had come loose between loco and tender. I am 73 and my eyesight is poor due to cataract. I have contacted Hornby and they have suggested I return the loco for inspection and hopefully repair. I don't feel competent to attempt repair myself. Anyway hoping Hornby will help me.

I had the same experience, having purchased from Kernow.  Thankfully they were very good, as always and replaced it.  The replacement worked fine, but that wiring worries me and it's boxed or display, until I can find a solution to those vulnerable wires.  That seems a shame for such a delightfully detailed model.

julian

11 hours ago, Zachariah said:

I can sympathise. I had cataracts removed some years ago, restoring my vision and making me long-sighted, where I was short-sighted before. That means I now have to use an Optivisor (or similar) to see what I am doing close-up.

My Rocket arrived and was fine for some time, until I took it off the tracks and placed it on a shelf. The next time I ran it, the pickup was very poor, and on investigation it had the same problem as reported by quite a few people here, one of the wires had dropped off the PCB on the tender. I did have the skills to re-solder it, plus the deterrent to returning it to the UK retailer or Hornby, in that I live in Australia. Running is still slightly less than perfect due entirely to the stiff wires trying to lift weight off the front of the tender, affecting the electrical pickup. Hornby really should have used softer, more flexible wire for the job.

Edit: Having said all that, I just had to re-solder two wires back on. It now runs perfectly again.

Edited by SRman

10 hours ago, SRman said:

I can sympathise. I had cataracts removed some years ago, restoring my vision and making me long-sighted, where I was short-sighted before. That means I now have to use an Optivisor (or similar) to see what I am doing close-up.

My Rocket arrived and was fine for some time, until I took it off the tracks and placed it on a shelf. The next time I ran it, the pickup was very poor, and on investigation it had the same problem as reported by quite a few people here, one of the wires had dropped off the PCB on the tender. I did have the skills to re-solder it, plus the deterrent to returning it to the UK retailer or Hornby, in that I live in Australia. Running is still slightly less than perfect due entirely to the stiff wires trying to lift weight off the front of the tender, affecting the electrical pickup. Hornby really should have used softer, more flexible wire for the job.

Edit: Having said all that, I just had to re-solder two wires back on. It now runs perfectly again.

If you pop a bit of wire sleeving on the coupling post it will stop the loco and tender uncoupling or stressing the wire connections.

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been rather underwhelmed by Hornby recently. The 'generic' 4-wheel coaches; they are not very generic, in places prototypically illiterate and relatively crude in places. I have also been rather jaded by what they represent; rushed 'spoiler' products that simply serve to steal sales from better versions of the same thing announced earlier by others. In fact, I find these antics rather depressing and feel they tarnish a respected brand.  

So, it makes me enormously happy to reflect on something much more positive from Hornby, which shows the grand old lady of RTR back on her best form. 

I was very happy with the Rocket sets, and happily bought them even though I assumed that they were a one-off remake of the old Triang/Hornby set.   I am very happy, however, that Hornby is extending this initial release into a little range, and the first of these products are the little blue coaches. 

These are every bit as delightful as the First Class closed coaches.  They are also pretty accurate to the 1930s replicas on which they are evidently based.  The only inaccuracies (which, incidentally, the Rails version would have avoided) are (i) the lack of piercing on the headstocks, and (ii) the step on the buffer guide, a consequence of using the same underframe as the First Class coach.  However, these are minor points, and certainly will not impinge on my enjoyment of these beautiful little models.

20210323_130058.jpg.6977693a9a51b122e6b659e2024d9dbb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

Does anyone have any good alternatives to the Hornby Rocket stock wheels, nothing I have fits and searching online yields little as axle measurements don’t seem to be very common. For reference the rough dimensions are: 12mm wheel diameter and 25mm axle length.

Trying my hand at period stock with resin under frames cast from the 3rd class coach:

0BDF2251-190F-4181-875E-3AD9209E418D.jpeg.a1b1e91ed289f4f4400488239f015bdb.jpeg

Thanks! 

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 12/04/2021 at 18:40, Otis JB said:

Hi there,

Does anyone have any good alternatives to the Hornby Rocket stock wheels, nothing I have fits and searching online yields little as axle measurements don’t seem to be very common. For reference the rough dimensions are: 12mm wheel diameter and 25mm axle length.

Trying my hand at period stock with resin under frames cast from the 3rd class coach:

0BDF2251-190F-4181-875E-3AD9209E418D.jpeg.a1b1e91ed289f4f4400488239f015bdb.jpeg

Thanks! 

Try Alan Gibson.

They do some wheels with slightly shorter axle bearings in order to fit Continental outline HO stock. 

• Thanks 1