New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's still on the site but it now has a release date of "winter 2022", so about a year and a half away and definitely not "coming soon"... Maybe the first batch is still on its way and the release date concerns a future batch though. I have a pre-order placed through Hornby as I missed out the first time around, but there's no "expected" date next to it so it's hard to tell when we'll be getting these.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lmr-stephensons-rocket-royal-mail-train-pack-era-1-r3956

Alan

Edit: unless of course by "winter 2022" they mean January, but most people will presumably take that to mean "late 2022"

Edited by jivebunny
  • Like 1

"Winter 2022" is a bit ambiguous, because winter covers both December and January (and, for that matter, February). So Winter 2022 could mean in the new year, or it could mean the end of next year. Which are very different timescales.

Most of winter is in the early part of the year, though, rather than the end of it, so in the absence of other information I'd assume it means January or February 2022 rather than December 2022.

This is why it's better to use named months as target dates where possible, and, where it needs to be more flexible, quarters. Seasons aren't particularly helpful. And that's before you even get into the question of when "Winter 2022" means for retailers in Australia!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I take Winter 2022 to be November/December 2022.

Winter 2021 on Hornbys website for “coming soon” does not include it, and if Winter 2021 has passed in January.. then the website would be in accurate, as it follows Autumn 2021 in their website calendar.

D46A6BB4-1FAA-4F52-B4E9-DE72D7B05143.jpeg.17ac64ad59948e9455345f4f39c6722c.jpeg

take the 2MT for instance… it says Winter 2021, and that aligns to its coming soon page also.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-standard-2mt-2-6-0-78047-era-5-r3836

though caution, the class 91’s are winter 2021, but the website calls it January 2022… so winter 2022, could be  2023.. its not as if Hornby hasnt for prior form for making a Blockbuster, but then failing to deliver a timely follow up.

To me, it looks like many of the grand plans of 2021’s range have slipped into 2022, as the website is much ado about nothing in 2021.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am reminded of Easter's past working at Imrex and selling (or trying to) the products of a well known manufacturer of track.  Yes Sir, the 3 way point will be available at Christmas!  No sir I didn't state which Christmas!

Happy Days!

• 3 months later...

Apologies if anyone has mentioned this, life is just too short to read every page of a thread...

The Rocket looks a lovely model and it opens up interesting possibilities for a themed layout, Rainhill Trials and the opening of the Liverpool to Manchester Railway both spring to mind.  Although it would possibly be in poor taste to place the unfortunate William Huskisson.

But then that leaves the question, would this be a good marketing opportunity to release other period models?  'Locomotion', 'Sans Perail', 'Lion' and 'Iron Duke' all spring to mind.  Is there anyone from Hornby reading this?

If you listen carefully, you might hear the groaning of my wallet...

• Like 1

On 16/12/2021 at 16:39, AyJay said:

Apologies if anyone has mentioned this, life is just too short to read every page of a thread...

The Rocket looks a lovely model and it opens up interesting possibilities for a themed layout, Rainhill Trials and the opening of the Liverpool to Manchester Railway both spring to mind.  Although it would possibly be in poor taste to place the unfortunate William Huskisson.

But then that leaves the question, would this be a good marketing opportunity to release other period models?  'Locomotion', 'Sans Perail', 'Lion' and 'Iron Duke' all spring to mind.  Is there anyone from Hornby reading this?

If you listen carefully, you might hear the groaning of my wallet...

Iron Duke? Now, for a start, that would need a whole new track system to go with it....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I don’t see any of the ‘beam engine’ type locos (locomotion, Sans Pareil etc) ever being made. Without the beams actually doing anything they will look terrible, and if the beams are made to work they will be so delicate as to be impractical because they willl be too delicate at anything approaching scale appearance.

I think it’s far more likely that ‘Planet’ will make an appearance myself.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

32 minutes ago, Edge said:

I don’t see any of the ‘beam engine’ type locos (locomotion, Sans Pareil etc) ever being made. Without the beams actually doing anything they will look terrible, and if the beams are made to work they will be so delicate as to be impractical because they willl be too delicate at anything approaching scale appearance.

Sans Pareil ought to be doable, it's just vertical cylinders rather than a beam and most of the fiddly stuff doesn't really need to move. I don't think it would be significantly more complex than Rocket. Locomotion No. 1 would be harder, though, that would need a lot of visibly moving parts above the boiler.

Of the other Rainhill locos, Novelty and Perseverence would be relatively easy; they don't have any outside motion so neither would need any moving detailed parts. Cycloped would be a challenge though!

32 minutes ago, Edge said:

I think it’s far more likely that ‘Planet’ will make an appearance myself.

It's more likely to be next, yes, as the logical sucessor to Lion. If the other Rainhill locos are to be produced, then a target of 2029 would be the obvious release date, so they'd need to be announced around 2026. Planet could slot into a 2025 release date, if announced next year.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, MarkSG said:

If the other Rainhill locos are to be produced, then a target of 2029 would be the obvious release date, so they'd need to be announced around 2026.

Why would they need to be announced around 2026?  I seem to recall that Rocket was announced only months before the first models hit the shops.  I agree that it takes several years to develop a model, but Hornby could announce the model anytime up to when it's ready to leave the factory and may keep it a secret until they hear a rumour that someone else is producing the same model.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, MarkSG said:

Cycloped would be a challenge though!

A spotty dog type model suspended on a wire at each end with the legs flopping about on the treadmill. That would look interesting !

I am sure that some of our more interesting modellers could make that look quite good.

After I, recall a locomotive on here somewhere with two legs at the back pushing it along the track !!!

All the best

Merry Christmas

Ray

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dungrange said:

Why would they need to be announced around 2026?  I seem to recall that Rocket was announced only months before the first models hit the shops.  I agree that it takes several years to develop a model, but Hornby could announce the model anytime up to when it's ready to leave the factory and may keep it a secret until they hear a rumour that someone else is producing the same model.

Well, it doesn't have to be announced a long time in advance. But 2029 is such an obvious target date for Rainhill models that if Hornby doesn't make a product announcement fairly well in advance then someone else probably will. And I think Hornby would probably prefer to avoid being gazumped. It would be better, commercially, to plant their flag on Rainhill territory as soon as they've made a definite decision to produce the models.

Rocket was a bit different because that was released as part of Hornby's own anniversary range. There were marketing advantages to not telegraphing that in advance, and the risk that someone else would do a Rocket in the meantime was very low. But the success of the new edition Rocket is itself one of the things which makes the other Rainhill competitors an attractive proposition, not just for Hornby but potentially for other manufacturers as well. So Hornby will want to keep ahead of the competition if possible.

• Like 1

Hornby are currently unable to meet any target they set - the 88DS 4w diesel which was slated as a Quarter 3 2021 release is now put back to "Winter 2022/23" so with any luck that will have arrived by March 2023. Not sure a Locomotion from them would be a good idea given their habit of using inappropraite materials for details which break easilly or simply fall off.

I got the Great Locomotives version (static), which I believe they scanned and reduced from the 7mm version that Bachmann produced for Kader's centenary. Unfortunately, they cocked it up and it came out more H0 than 00. It also had a chauldron wagon with it.

All the best

Merry Christmas

Ray

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

I got the Great Locomotives version (static), which I believe they scanned and reduced from the 7mm version that Bachmann produced for Kader's centenary. Unfortunately, they cocked it up and it came out more H0 than 00. It also had a chauldron wagon with

More that OO is a cock up that is now so long in the tooth we are well stuck with it. Nothing wrong that static Locomotion if displayed as intended.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1