New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

22 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

But don't call it "Rochetta" -  that, too, is Italian, but is the source of the other English word "rocket" - in this case, the salad plant!

Hmmm, I always thought the Italian for the salad plant was rucola or arugula. At least that's what it says on the bag in my fridge (in German, French, and Italian).

6 minutes ago, truffy said:

Hmmm, I always thought the Italian for the salad plant was rucola or arugula. At least that's what it says on the bag in my fridge (in German, French, and Italian).

Arugula is a different word for the same thing, and reached English via a different route.

The Latin word (as would have been used by the Romans) was "eruca". By the time the plant started to become more widely used as a foodstuff, outside Italy, it had already acquired different Italian words in different parts of Italy (which, in any case, were different states back then, as Italy had not yet been unified). In southern Italy, the Latin term had mutated into "aruculu", but in the north of Italy, it was "rochetta" (or "ruchetta"), via an earlier "ruca".

Modern, standard Italian for the plant is now "rucola", which is based on the southern term, and "rochetta" has disappeared except as a very local dialect word.

However, the northern term was the one which stuck with the plant as it became more popular across countries bordering Italy - Switzerland and France - and, in French, the word was adapted to "roquette". When it reached Britain, we in turn adapted the French word to "rocket".

"Arugula", on the other hand, is a direct Anglicisation of the southern Italian term, popularised by Italian immigrants to the US, because most Italian-Americans are descended from southern Italians.

So both "rocket" and "arugula" are ultimately from the same Latin word, but they reached English via two different Italian words.

• Informative/Useful 5

Worth considering another of the early locomotives was named Wildfire.

During the First English Civil War, incendiary devices were used to raze city centers. Defenders in London were advised to combat the flames using milk, sand, earth, and urine. In Colchester, fires caused by hand grenades (the weapon was called "wildfire" by the combatants) were extinguished using wet clothes saturated in milk and vinegar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_thermal_weapons

Jason

• RMweb Gold
On 02/02/2020 at 22:47, Ben C said:

Does anybody know where to buy/ pre order one of the R3810 sets?

I've looked at all of the usual suspects and they're coming up as sold out on pre order and only giving the option to request a stock notification email.

Cheers.

Rails has R3809 available to pre-order.

Hattons has R3809 available.

might as well get the limited edition one, the box looks great and thats where most of them will stay. Your not going to lose out financially spending the extra tenner.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

might as well get the limited edition one, the box looks great and thats where most of them will stay. Your not going to lose out financially spending the extra tenner.

rails has a warning that it is sold out on pre-order

• Agree 3

19 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Doesn't seem to be available (ready to buy?) from Hattons, it is however available to pre-order.

On 08/02/2020 at 09:12, adb968008 said:

The regular version looks to have the same box, just a different colour (yellow I think, whereas the limited version is red).

From what I've seen thus far, the only differences are the carriage names, which isn't really a major issue. I'm happy with ordering the standard version as it'll look just as good trundling along.

As others have said, the addition of third class opens would be most welcome!

Cheers

J

1 hour ago, JaymzHatstand said:

The regular version looks to have the same box, just a different colour (yellow I think, whereas the limited version is red).

From what I've seen thus far, the only differences are the carriage names, which isn't really a major issue. I'm happy with ordering the standard version as it'll look just as good trundling along.

As others have said, the addition of third class opens would be most welcome!

Cheers

J

I seen in a picture of the boxes when open that the information on the left hand side is presented differently but probably says the same things as the limited edition box. I prefer the look of the standard box being yellow and having lining around the edge though as it matches Rocket

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I wonder if the tooling has been prepared with a possibility to produce "Northumberland", etc at a later date?  :crazy:

If Hornby feel there is a market for it, then yes. I doubt they do though.

Rocket seems to have pre-sold well because it has a significant place in history & almost everyone has heard of it. The same is not true of Northumberland, Planet, Novelty, Sans Pareil etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just received an email from Hornby. Rocket is “imminent”. I was at the 150th Anniversary at Rainhill which is just up the road from our shop. That was a week to remember.

Hornby promised early delivery and have come through. Not clear from the email whether it is both variants but l imagine it will be.

Edited by Widnes Model Centre
Typo
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

I ran my 1982 Hornby Rocket set on the Furzebrook layout which is a mixture of Series 3 and Super 4 track.  A drop of oil on the rear wheels enabled them to rotate freely.  With the benefit of magnadhesion it ran very well with three coaches but it got hot after 5 minutes probably as there is no ventilation for the motor. It derailed on the Series 3 points as it had finer scale wheels.

I hope that the new model will be able to haul three coaches without the benefit of magnadhesion and that Hornby will overcome the problems of overheating.  Perhaps running it for five minutes is enough time anyway.

Looking at the June 2000 issue of Model Railway Collector I saw that the American Train and Track Corp. imported Tri-ang Rockets and coaches and sold them separately in ATT boxes. I wonder if Hornby will sell the Rocket and coaches separately as the coaches last for ever whereas the locomotive is likely to wear out.

P1090596.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

When the kids do the dressing up as Victorians in school, The Rainhill Trials is included.

Hummm...

Perhaps there is an argument for teaching some dates, at least to the curriculum writers. 

• Agree 7
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Hummm...

Perhaps there is an argument for teaching some dates, at least to the curriculum writers. 

I'm just as bad, I mentally keep pushing William IV back to the mid-1820s.  Its salutary to recall that Rocket was very much a Georgian engine....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

41 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I'm just as bad, I mentally keep pushing William IV back to the mid-1820s.  Its salutary to recall that Rocket was very much a Georgian engine....

I don't consider it bad to not know things but if teaching others, you should want to get your facts right.

56 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Hummm...

I was never taught about dates of kings & queens when I was at school. They felt that living conditions were more important.

Some teachers don't like being told they are wrong either. I got told to stand back from a throw-in at football, which I did (At 14, I was a qualified referee & knew very well I was allowed to stand there :D). I explained to the teacher afterwards that I was a referee & why it is ok - the thrower can take a step or 2 back, but nobody else is allowed off the pitch (sorry, not pitch..field of play is the correct term) without referees permission.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

I ran my 1982 Hornby Rocket set on the Furzebrook layout which is a mixture of Series 3 and Super 4 track.  A drop of oil on the rear wheels enabled them to rotate freely.  With the benefit of magnadhesion it ran very well with three coaches but it got hot after 5 minutes probably as there is no ventilation for the motor. It derailed on the Series 3 points as it had finer scale wheels.

I hope that the new model will be able to haul three coaches without the benefit of magnadhesion and that Hornby will overcome the problems of overheating.  Perhaps running it for five minutes is enough time anyway.

Looking at the June 2000 issue of Model Railway Collector I saw that the American Train and Track Corp. imported Tri-ang Rockets and coaches and sold them separately in ATT boxes. I wonder if Hornby will sell the Rocket and coaches separately as the coaches last for ever whereas the locomotive is likely to wear out.

P1090596.JPG

Blimey, they've not even arrived in the shops, yet you're worrying about the longevity of the motor already! :wacko:

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Hummm...

I was the one who put Victorian. Far too modern for me (my history study ends about 1000 CE) and a very long time since I went to primary school.

There is no real name for the King William IV era but most historians sling it in with Victorian or Hanoverian. It's certainly not Georgian.

But for clarity I meant when you get primary school kids walking about museums dressed up in cloth caps and waist coats, suits with top hats (like Brunel) and girls dressed as maids.

Jason

• Agree 1