New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

The Rocket section gave me a sensation of being drunk!

As a customer for this loco, I tried to pay close attention despite the motion sickness!  I did spot that the black dart design to the wheels (seen on the graphic) is not printed on the wheels of the model shown, so perhaps that proved too difficult to execute.  These things happen.

The performance was a little concerning, as has been mentioned, and it looked like the footage was cut just before the model stopped with its wheels spinning in impotent frustration!  This is doubtless a difficult subject for a motorised model.  My first thought was to increase the weight on purchase, but where could you put it? 

I'd like this to be more than a cabinet queen - i have a working Lion and am working on a Derwent, so the attraction of Rocket is as another working model from 'the earlies'.  Does anyone have any practical suggestions on how the running qualities might be improved post-purchase?  I suppose it's hard to say until it's released and examined.

Anyway, it won't put me off. 

How did the old Triang model fare on the track?

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

the couplings are upside down! ;) 

Quite apart from that, they're apparently a rigid molding so would look equally strange the other way up with the engine pulling! A bit of real 3-link coupling chain would be a nice upgrade to make if one is fussed about such things.

Incidentally, delving into my favourite little book on the Worsdells, I read that at the opening of the L&M, loose chain couplings were used, though Thomas Clarke Worsdell, who had designed the carriages, had devised a rope coupling tightened by a wooden rod. It wasn't until 1837 that Henry Booth, company treasurer and possibly originator of the multi-tubular boiler, patented the progenitor of the screw coupling.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

How did the old Triang model fare on the track?

I think the original had magnadhesion  , which of course this one doesn't , so it probably ran OK. I never had one but I think Oscar Paisley has shown it on his youtube channel .   Looking forward to my Tri-ang special edition . Now there's a model announced and delivered within three months. Impressive .

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Quite apart from that, they're apparently a rigid molding so would look equally strange the other way up with the engine pulling! A bit of real 3-link coupling chain would be a nice upgrade to make if one is fussed about such things.

Incidentally, delving into my favourite little book on the Worsdells, I read that at the opening of the L&M, loose chain couplings were used, though Thomas Clarke Worsdell, who had designed the carriages, had devised a rope coupling tightened by a wooden rod. It wasn't until 1837 that Henry Booth, company treasurer and possibly originator of the multi-tubular boiler, patented the progenitor of the screw coupling.

They had a rope coupling on the Titfield Thunderbolt!  Then it broke during the emergency braking test... :D

17 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

Give Hornby their due they have replied to questions about the loco adhesion if you read the comments in youtube.

But the comments only say it's a development sample, and the production ones will be of the highest quality. That's the sort of thing that British Leyland used to say... :lol:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

15 minutes ago, Coppercap said:

But the comments only say it's a development sample, and the production ones will be of the highest quality. That's the sort of thing that British Leyland used to say... :lol:

For some reason, something about axle boxes springs to mind...:angel:

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Well the tender wheels weren’t turning well so some drag there and the couplings are upside down! ;) 
looks good though :) 

In the video Rockets trailing wheels are sticking as well so its hardly surprising its struggling but why have they released such an appalling video of it. The slidebars etc seem to a have a plastic look about them as well

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

The performance was a little concerning, as has been mentioned, and it looked like the footage was cut just before the model stopped with its wheels spinning in impotent frustration!  This is doubtless a difficult subject for a motorised model.  My first thought was to increase the weight on purchase, but where could you put it? 

Stick of lead rod in the funnel I reckon......

• Agree 1

Its the first "Signal Box" I've watched since the first one, and not much of an improvement.  I only watched to have a look at Rocket, but starting with the tinplate loco, I was disappointed that they didn't run the clockwork one in comparison, it would have suited the "three line track" very well! 

As for Rocket herself, I feel that their demonstration didn't show the model in a good light at all. The photography was dire* with poor focus and shifting depth of field, the voice-over very muffled and someone should have performed some tests to set the loco up before recording a run.  As well as the sticking trailing wheels, the leading tender wheels were also sticking. 

The "chain" couplings looked wrong too, I assume that they had been fitted upside down, rather than with a bit of droop,  displaying a complete lack of mechanical aptitude.  Given the gap between the coaches, the designers should possibly have used conventional tension lock couplings instead.

* I noticed that the tinplate loco appeared to skip and jump too, so some of Rockets hesitations may have been an artefact of the video recording/processing software.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

On YouTube Hornby have responded saying

"I can confirm the sample I got my hands on was a development sample from some months ago. The imminent models are of the highest quality - Mike2

and " We can confirm the coupling will be separate, meaning you can ensure they are correctly attached."

I wonder if they could confirm that the next Hornby video will be produced by people who actually like model railways, not yoofs who happen to own a smartphone!

• Funny 5