New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

11 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

Thank you for the pictures of the open coach and the train. I had a ride behind the replica 'Rocket' in an open coach when it was running on a temporary track outside the Royal Albert Hall.

I have now plugged in the figures and couplings. I needed a torch to help me fit them and the model is very delicate. It looks delightful and the coaches have got seats inside. 

I did not receive a brown card cover for the red box but I bought it from the Swanage Station shop so perhaps the cardboard cover is for mail orders.

P1090704.JPG

Some how does not look as good as it did in the promo photos. The Main Draw back for myself is the Plasticity driving wheel valve gear. 

16 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Some how does not look as good as it did in the promo photos. The Main Draw back for myself is the Plasticity driving wheel valve gear. 

Are you basing this view on a photo or have you got an actual model?

I make this comment because I saw a real one for the first time on a Hornby stand at Modelrail Scotland yesterday. I've not seen a photo which illustrates just how small this model really is.

This may help compare its size against other small models? 

Here posed with Hornby's 3 next smallest locos excluding the 0-6-0 Peckett. Other comparisons can be provided

IMG_20200223_213604.jpg.44f57c62e65099c99dde636305b24769.jpgIMG_20200223_213529.jpg.48b47b657831fe6bf920aeddd20699ff.jpgIMG_20200223_213617.jpg.0f4526de9af3d2f6252ddd425e285a91.jpg

54 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

The promo photos are all CAD renders with the materials picked out in the right colours/finishes. I think they are moulded in sliver plastic because adding paint to functional parts this small would cause them to bind. Making the mount of metal I would think will be difficult given the size, the sidebars being only 11mm long

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

44 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I've not seen a photo which illustrates just how small this model really is.

There are a couple of pics earlier in the thread comparing it with coins of the realm (A £2 and a 50p I think) which give a certain sense of scale.  However it would be nice if someone could do a comparison shot against something equally tiny, such as Hornby Ruston&Hornsby shunter or a Bachmann Wickham trolley.

Thanks to Pre Grouping fan!

Rocket even out-tinies the Ruston!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

anyone had theres from Hattons yet ?

I rang Hattons on Sat (22nd) to ask about expected delivery date, I was told that Hattons should receive their orders at the end of this week, they will then need to process orders and send out. Based on the info I’m expecting my Ltd edition Rocket sometime next week.

PL

• Informative/Useful 1

I'm assuming that the ones already in the wild were preordered direct from Hornby.

If one has preordered with a retailer, then all one has to do is wait.

If one didn't preorder, then why be so desperate to get one as to go via an auction site?

I assume the scalpers either ordered from Hornby and have got something to sell, or are holding fraudulent auctions and are banking on getting models from retailer preorders.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

The camera is always cruel to models though unless wielded by  an expert such as Messrs Wright or York :)

14 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

The camera is always cruel to models though unless wielded by  an expert such as Messrs Wright or York :)

The height of the model is quoted as being 63mm from rail head to top of the chimney, a quick measure of posted images will give a clue as to how much magnification is present.  Robin Brashers image above, for example, is a little over 2x the original. Thats what makes perceived "faults" stick out, with detail that is not visible with the naked eye!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I'm assuming that the ones already in the wild were preordered direct from Hornby.

If one didn't preorder, then why be so desperate to get one as to go via an auction site?

I assume the scalpers either ordered from Hornby and have got something to sell, or are holding fraudulent auctions and are banking on getting models from retailer preorders.

I received mine from the New Railway Modellers Shop last week. Lucky to get it from there as it was the last R3809 I could see available online at the time of ordering. 

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The height of the model is quoted as being 63mm from rail head to top of the chimney, a quick measure of posted images will give a clue as to how much magnification is present.  Robin Brashers image above, for example, is a little over 2x the original. Thats what makes perceived "faults" stick out, with detail that is not visible with the naked eye!

Surely the size of the image is also dependent on the size of the screen you are viewing it on?

• Agree 3

25 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Mine came from a model shop in the North East (not far from Stephenson's works) that used to be in Manchester. Arrived in Liverpool on Saturday. So it's done a similar journey to the real one, although that didn't go via the Far East. ;) 

Not had a chance to run it properly yet. The line on the barrel isn't very noticeable. Mine seems to be properly seated, it maybe worth a look to see if they are pressed down properly.

Yes. It is tiny and very light compared to models I am used to. I thought I had received an empty box.....

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Surely the size of the image is also dependent on the size of the screen you are viewing it on?

Yes, but if you scale the image on your screen against the quoted "lifesize" dimension (in this case 63mm for railhead to chimney top), then you can tell how magnified it is.  So if the dimension of the image on screen is 2x reality, then you're looking at a (more or less) O gauge sized representation!

19 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I received mine from the New Railway Modellers Shop last week.

9 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Mine came from a model shop in the North East (not far from Stephenson's works) that used to be in Manchester.

1 minute ago, metropolitan cammell said:

Kernow model centre, arrived on Saturday.

Interesting.  Hornbys distribution algorithm is most odd!

However, its known that the delivery will be staggered, with R3809 coming first, and R3810 a couple of weeks later.

4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Yes, but if you scale the image on your screen against the quoted "lifesize" dimension (in this case 63mm for railhead to chimney top), then you can tell how magnified it is.  So if the dimension of the image on screen is 2x reality, then you're looking at a (more or less) O gauge sized representation!

TEd1.jpg

Jason

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

I'm fortunate enough to have a bound volume of "Railway Modeller" from 1964.There are a few interesting snippets and articles,including a article on modifying coaches from December that year.Given the 10mb limit on files Ill post them gradually.Heres the first:

IMG_1456.JPG

• Like 4